SQLite3 on WinCE platform

Ertan Küçükoğlu
Hello,

I am using SQLite3 on handheld barcode scanners. Development platform of my
choice is Lazarus (free pascal).

These handheld devices run WinCE operating system. I have found a
sqlite3ce.dll which I have downloaded from Lazarus forums. That DLL is
version 3.9.2.0 compiled for WinCE 5+ (armv4i).

I am happy that I can use sqlite on WinCE. However, WinCE platform has a lot
of different versions and naming conventions are used. Moreover, I cannot
use same DLL on every WinCE version. In particular:

- DSC5 handheld device running Microsoft Windows CE Version 6.0 uses
sqlite.dll version 3.9.2.0
- Intermec CK3R handheld device running CE OS 5.2.29354 uses sqlite.dll
version 3.11.1.0
- Motorola MC55A handheld device running CE OS 5.2.29040: I cannot use any
of above dlls.

I get help from a person at Lazarus forum to compile sqlite3 for WinCE. I do
not know how to do that myself. This person and I had a TeamViewer session
for several hours. He tried a lot of different options for sqlite
compilation parameters and none of them worked on that Motorola device.

Error I am getting when application runs is: EInOutError: Can not load
SQLite client library "sqlite3ce.dll". Check your installation.

File access is not blocked at all. Application can read it for sure. It
doesn't help trying to load the DLL in any way possible (static, dynamic).
It seems like a operating system thing that we could not understand.

I write in here with the hope that someone who knows what the problem
is/might can help me out.

Thanks & regards,
Ertan Küçükoğlu

Re: SQLite3 on WinCE platform

Simon Slavin-3

On 11 Dec 2017, at 8:59am, Ertan Küçükoğlu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Error I am getting when application runs is: EInOutError: Can not load
> SQLite client library "sqlite3ce.dll". Check your installation.

Given this page

<https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/einouterror.html>

"EInOutError is raised when a IO routine of Free Pascal returns an error. The error is converted to an EInOutError only if the input/output checking feature of FPC is turned on. The error code of the input/output operation is returned in ErrorCode."

Can you look at the error code in 'ErrorCode' ?

Or can you turn off the input/output checking feature of FPC ?

>On 11 Dec 2017, at 8:59am, Ertan Küçükoğlu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Error I am getting when application runs is: EInOutError: Can not load
>> SQLite client library "sqlite3ce.dll". Check your installation.
>
> Given this page
>
> <https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/einouterror.html>
>
> "EInOutError is raised when a IO routine of Free Pascal returns an error. The error is converted to an EInOutError only if the input/output checking feature of FPC is turned on. The error code of the input/output operation is returned in ErrorCode."
>
> Can you look at the error code in 'ErrorCode' ?
>
> Or can you turn off the input/output checking feature of FPC ?
>
> Simon.

Finally mystery solved. Even Motorola device seems to be using more or less same version of WinCE, and having ARMV5 supported CPU it turned out that DLL has to be bare ARM compiled and not ARMV4i.

Thanks for all the help.

Ertan