Sqlite & NFS

gammal.sqlite
Hello,
I'm considering using sqlite in a system where the database might be accessed concurrently from several machines over NFS. I'm aware of locking issues & NFS but I have a couple of questions:

- Could an NFS-level failure cause data inconsistency, or can sqlite handle such errors?
- I'm using Linux 2.4/2.6 machines. Anyone knows if their NFS implementation suffers from any locking issues?

Thanks a lot,
Mahmoud

----------
This message was sent from a MailNull anti-spam account.  You can get
your free account and take control over your email by visiting the
following URL.

   http://mailnull.com/

Re: Sqlite & NFS

D. Richard Hipp
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm considering using sqlite in a system where the database might be
> accessed concurrently from several machines over NFS. I'm aware of
> locking issues & NFS but I have a couple of questions:
>
> - Could an NFS-level failure cause data inconsistency, or can
> sqlite handle such errors?

If NFS locks do not work correctly, you can get massive
data corruption.  Easily.

> - I'm using Linux 2.4/2.6 machines. Anyone knows if their NFS
> implementation suffers from any locking issues?

I occasionally use a Linux 2.6 system with NFS and the NFS locking
on it does not work right.  But I do not think that is a function
of the kernel so much as it is the NFS setup on that particular
network.
D. Richard Hipp <[hidden email]>

Re: Sqlite & NFS

gammal.sqlite
What matters for me the most actually is how sqlite will behave in a non-concurrent scenario in case NFS fails (the NFS mount is suddenly unavailable for example). Can I still assume that the ACID properties are maintained?