Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Suggests for improving the SQLite website

D. Richard Hipp
We are looking at renovating the design of the SQLite
website and would love to have suggestions from the
community.  If you have any ideas on how to improve
the SQLite website, please constribute either to the
mailing list or directly to me.

Here are some links to competing database products
that might inspire comments:

   http://www.postgresql.org/
   http://www.firebirdsql.org/
   http://www.hsqldb.org/
   http://opensource.ingres.com/
   http://db.apache.org/derby/
   http://exist.sourceforge.net/

Among the comments received already are these:

  (1) It is not clear from the homepage that the software
      is free.
  (2) Half the page is devoted to talking about bugs in
      the software.  This suggests low quality.
  (3) The "News" contains scary words: "radical changes".
  (4) Three releases in as many months suggests the
      code is not stable.
  (5) Move the BigNameUsers to the front page
      (see http://www.sqlite.org/wiki?p=BigNameUsers)
  (6) Need more eye-candy.

I do not necessary agree with the above comments, but I
am open to any and all ideas.  You will not hurt my feels,
so speak freely.

Thanks in advance for your input.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[hidden email]>

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Stephan Beal-3
On Nov 8, 2007 5:29 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are looking at renovating the design of the SQLite
> website and would love to have suggestions from the
> community.  If you have any ideas on how to improve
> the SQLite website, please constribute either to the
> mailing list or directly to me.

One of the things i love about the sqlite site is how lightweight and
simple it is. The only thing which i find marginally confusing is how
to figure out which bugs report to select when i'm in the mood to
check out the latest open tickets. That said, i don't have any
concrete suggestions except, "leave it all the same, except for making
the bug reports selection a bit more intuitive."

>   (1) It is not clear from the homepage that the software
>       is free.

google code award implies that it's free (doesn't it?)

>   (4) Three releases in as many months suggests the
>       code is not stable.

Only to people not used to open source. "Release early, release often."

>   (6) Need more eye-candy.

Definitely not. Its simplicity is its main beauty.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Rich Shepard
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Stephan Beal wrote:

> google code award implies that it's free (doesn't it?)

> Only to people not used to open source. "Release early, release often."

> Definitely not. Its simplicity is its main beauty.

Stephan,

   Good comments from your point of view. However, what the development team
needs to define is the audience -- or audiences -- they want to effectively
reach. Not everyone looking at the web site is a linux/*BSD user, highly
involved with database management systems, code development, or other
technical aspects. Quite often the key decision-maker knows little about the
technology, but needs to be assured that there is a solid business reason
for adopting it. These folks need to see something more appealing to them.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity            Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |            Innovation

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Michael Schlenker-4
[hidden email] schrieb:

> We are looking at renovating the design of the SQLite
> website and would love to have suggestions from the
> community.  If you have any ideas on how to improve
> the SQLite website, please constribute either to the
> mailing list or directly to me.
>
> Among the comments received already are these:
>
>   (1) It is not clear from the homepage that the software
>       is free.
Its stated on the homepage, but maybe it should be in one of the
first paragraphs, not at the last bullet in the list. I would
reorder the features list quite a bit, the more technical
details down (like the byte order thing and some others).

>   (2) Half the page is devoted to talking about bugs in
>       the software.  This suggests low quality.
>   (3) The "News" contains scary words: "radical changes".
>   (4) Three releases in as many months suggests the
>       code is not stable.
All those are under 'NEWS'. Maybe make the news section smaller
and provide 'details' and 'developer details' links. Then the
news could be like an 'executive summary' and the real facts
would be listed under details and developer details.

>   (5) Move the BigNameUsers to the front page
>       (see http://www.sqlite.org/wiki?p=BigNameUsers)
Propaganda isn't bad. Maybe a rotating banner like it is found on many
websites that lists one of those with 'used by' for every page visit.

>   (6) Need more eye-candy.
Not really. Its simple, clean and nice.

One thing that might be worth it, is a bit of cleanup of the menu in
the upper right corner, maybe group a bit.

I see these main categories there:
Code/Binaries: cvs, download, contrib
About: support, license, news?
Documentation: quick start, faq, syntax, wiki (changes?/news?)
Development: bugs, changes, timeline

Currently the trackers and the main website are not really integrated,
more side by side..., don't know if it would be good to change it.

Michael
Michael

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Roger Binns

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

developir@yahoo.com
--- [hidden email] wrote:
> We are looking at renovating the design of the SQLite
> website and would love to have suggestions from the
> community.  If you have any ideas on how to improve
> the SQLite website, please constribute either to the
> mailing list or directly to me.

Prize giveaway to millionth page visitor.

RE: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Evans, Mark (Tandem)
I love the website.  Suggested improvements:
- link to the users site from home:
http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@.../info.html
- a publicity page that contains links to interviews, reviews, etc.
- expand the list of things that cannot be done with virtual tables (it
lists triggers but not check constraints and maybe other things)
- developers page with pictures and brief bios

Cheers,
Mark

Igor Sereda
I'm new to this list and to the SQLite website, so my feedback is more of
the "first impression" kind. And that impression is: the site is ok. It is
clear, simple, with almost anything I need reachable through one or two
clicks. The things I would probably do is place a google search field
somewhere in a corner and list what programming languages are supported.

The comments you mention, in my opinion, may be valid for promoting a
product sold to consumers or enterprise, which are not target audience I
would associate with this mailing list. A developer who looks for an
embedded database doesn't need eye candy, and big name users don't mean
anything (everyone uses Oracle). But that's subjective, of course. Here's
what I was looking at when making try/not try decision for sqlite: a)
license; b) features; c) could be used with Java; d) source code
availability; e) project age and release cycle (is it too young or already
dead); f) is active community present; g) options for commercial support
available.

> (1) It is not clear from the homepage that the software is free.

I guess mentioning this won't hurt, but it's no problem. Certainly someone
who can write SQL can also find "license" in the menu :)

> (2) Half the page is devoted to talking about bugs in
> the software.  This suggests low quality.

This suggests openness. If it went "we have no bugs in our software", I
would probably leave immediately. But there's a point that news column
usually takes less than 50% of page's width, something I'd agree with.

> (3) The "News" contains scary words: "radical changes".

s/changes/improvements/ :) Seriously, there's too much care for single
words, IMHO.

> (4) Three releases in as many months suggests the code is not stable.

And 98% test coverage mentioned in the other column suggests otherwise. For
me, frequent releases are good. What will you do anyway, hide release
history?

Hope this helps,
Igor

RE: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Wilson, Ron
QFT

I agree with both Stephan *and* Rich.  It would be great if the site
stayed clean, white, and straightforward.  I don't personally have
difficulty selling SQLite to my boss because we've used it in many
successful projects, but I can see how the current site may not measure
up to so-called 'web 2.0' expectations.

Just please please please avoid cheezy stock photos of happy users in
breathtaking vistas of nature.

Maybe a logo design contest is in order?

RW

Ron Wilson, Senior Engineer, MPR Associates, 518.831.7546

> google code award implies that it's free (doesn't it?)

> Only to people not used to open source. "Release early, release
often."

> Definitely not. Its simplicity is its main beauty.

Stephan,

   Good comments from your point of view. However, what the development
team
needs to define is the audience -- or audiences -- they want to
effectively
reach. Not everyone looking at the web site is a linux/*BSD user, highly
involved with database management systems, code development, or other
technical aspects. Quite often the key decision-maker knows little about
the
technology, but needs to be assured that there is a solid business
reason
for adopting it. These folks need to see something more appealing to
them.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity
Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |            Innovation
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
503-667-8863

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

John Stanton-3
Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Stephan Beal wrote:
>
>> google code award implies that it's free (doesn't it?)
>

>> Only to people not used to open source. "Release early, release often."
>

>> Definitely not. Its simplicity is its main beauty.
>

> Stephan,
>
>   Good comments from your point of view. However, what the development team
> needs to define is the audience -- or audiences -- they want to effectively
> reach. Not everyone looking at the web site is a linux/*BSD user, highly
> involved with database management systems, code development, or other
> technical aspects. Quite often the key decision-maker knows little about
> the
> technology, but needs to be assured that there is a solid business reason
> for adopting it. These folks need to see something more appealing to them.
>
> Rich

To my mind the current Sqlite page is revealing and honest.  A cursory
glance and you can see what is being presented, where it has been and
where it is going.  It is not doing people a favour to entice them into
using something which they may not be able to handle or which is
inappropriate for their needs.

My suggestion for improvment is is access to the wiki and the archives
of support information.  That could be refined.

A horde of raving, enthusiastic fans is a better way to promote a
product than have disgruntled people who failed to achieve a good result
with it.

There is no need to apologize for the absense of snake oil, smoke and
mirrors.

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

RB Smissaert
What could be interesting is a listing of all the ways SQLite is used and
for users to upload their
details with a number of fixed fields like:
short description, size of database, number of users,
commercial/non-commercial, platform/OS, programming language, wrapper,
satisfaction with the application, plans for future.
Not sure if this is feasible, but it would be interesting to read + to see
the stats of it.
Obviously it could become a very big list and I am not sure
web-design-wise how that should be handled.

RBS

> We are looking at renovating the design of the SQLite
> website and would love to have suggestions from the
> community.  If you have any ideas on how to improve
> the SQLite website, please constribute either to the
> mailing list or directly to me.
>
> Here are some links to competing database products
> that might inspire comments:
>
>    http://www.postgresql.org/
>    http://www.firebirdsql.org/
>    http://www.hsqldb.org/
>    http://opensource.ingres.com/
>    http://db.apache.org/derby/
>    http://exist.sourceforge.net/
>
> Among the comments received already are these:
>
>   (1) It is not clear from the homepage that the software
>       is free.
>   (2) Half the page is devoted to talking about bugs in
>       the software.  This suggests low quality.
>   (3) The "News" contains scary words: "radical changes".
>   (4) Three releases in as many months suggests the
>       code is not stable.
>   (5) Move the BigNameUsers to the front page
>       (see http://www.sqlite.org/wiki?p=BigNameUsers)
>   (6) Need more eye-candy.
>
> I do not necessary agree with the above comments, but I
> am open to any and all ideas.  You will not hurt my feels,
> so speak freely.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> --
> D. Richard Hipp <[hidden email]>

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Puneet Kishor-2
Hi Richard,

I might be in a minority on this list for suggesting that the SQLite
website could indeed become more helpful and informative through a
redesign.

I am not suggesting that the redesign necessarily be focused on
attractiveness, although, there can be some correlation in ease of use
and general attractiveness. I do think that it needs to be embellished
with more information, and with more ease to find that information.
Here are some concrete examples --

1. Perhaps the greatest improvement would occur if we enhance the
syntax section with more examples, particularly in the EXPRESSION
sub-section. Some functions are just not clear (for example, what does
glob(X,Y) do... granted, I can probably search for it and find
examples, but examples right there would be very helpful). Bringing
the date and time functions from the wiki to the syntax page would be
more direct and helpful. Having examples for each and every command
would be very useful and also educational. On this email list what I
learn about SQL is waaaaay more than what I learn about SQLite, and
expanding the syntax section would go a long way toward achieving both
these aims.

2. An extension web project for SQLite and its various language
wrappers would be very useful. Perhaps that could be accomplished by
sub-wikis. Some might contend that language-specific documentation
belongs with that language website, and that would be not an invalid
argument, but if the focus of the SQLite website is to promote the use
of SQLite no matter what language is being used, then the SQLite
website should try to accomplish, or enable accomplishing of, this
goal even if it means possibly creating redundant websites.

3. A user-editable list of frequently used tasks --

- how to rename a table
- how to import export data
- how to deal with blobs
- creating use-defined functions
- implementing full-text search

In all of the above cases, a wiki style that allows users to add
comments right on the documentation pages would be great. Once set up,
it will be up to the users to populate it with useful content. This
has worked well in other projects and would work well here.

Of course, a version *without* user-generated content would still be
included in the source code so users can build one themselves for
their local, offline use.

> We are looking at renovating the design of the SQLite
> website and would love to have suggestions from the
> community.  If you have any ideas on how to improve
> the SQLite website, please constribute either to the
> mailing list or directly to me.
>
> Here are some links to competing database products
> that might inspire comments:
>
>    http://www.postgresql.org/
>    http://www.firebirdsql.org/
>    http://www.hsqldb.org/
>    http://opensource.ingres.com/
>    http://db.apache.org/derby/
>    http://exist.sourceforge.net/
>
> Among the comments received already are these:
>
>   (1) It is not clear from the homepage that the software
>       is free.
>   (2) Half the page is devoted to talking about bugs in
>       the software.  This suggests low quality.
>   (3) The "News" contains scary words: "radical changes".
>   (4) Three releases in as many months suggests the
>       code is not stable.
>   (5) Move the BigNameUsers to the front page
>       (see http://www.sqlite.org/wiki?p=BigNameUsers)
>   (6) Need more eye-candy.
>
> I do not necessary agree with the above comments, but I
> am open to any and all ideas.  You will not hurt my feels,
> so speak freely.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.

--
Puneet Kishor

RE: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Wilson, Ron
IMO, the http://www.postgresql.org/ site is the most appealing site of
the competing products.  I would be happy if SQLite followed a similar
look.

I would try to keep the top-right menu links from SQLite.org, but I like
someone's earlier suggestion that they be grouped in categories.  I'm
also fond of tag clouds, but I'm not sure how a tag cloud would improve
the top-right menu.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

RW

Ron Wilson, Senior Engineer, MPR Associates, 518.831.7546

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Richard Klein-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> We are looking at renovating the design of the SQLite
> website and would love to have suggestions from the
> community.  If you have any ideas on how to improve
> the SQLite website, please constribute either to the
> mailing list or directly to me.

o The 'contrib' section could be better organized, say
into categories.  Also it would be nice if someone could
at least desk-check these contributions for accuracy,
relevancy, etc.

o The 'documentation' section could be organized into
subsections, with a table of contents.  Someone should
write documentation on how to test SQLite using the
test fixture.  Also need documentation on how to use
Mktclapp to build the test scripts, Tcl interpreter,
and SQLite code into an executable that can run on
any platform.

o The 'faq' should be updated to include some additional
frequently asked questions, such as "how do I implement
a scrolling cursor using SQLite?"  (Yes, there's already
an article in the Wiki, but the faq should at least link
to that article.)

o The 'wiki' Index page needs updating.

o It's not immediately obvious that when you select
certain links -- namely, 'bugs', 'timeline', and 'wiki',
that you are entering a browser-based tool (Cvstrac?)
where some links have different meanings than what you'd
expect.

For example, the 'Home' link (in the blue rectangle)
takes you to the Cvstrac home page, not the SQLite
home page.

The blue rectangle does give the user some indication
that he is in the Cvstrac context; however, I'd recommend
making this more explicit -- maybe put a Cvstrac logo
inside the blue rectangle.

o Overall, I love the way the website emphasizes content
over form, and recommend you keep it that way.  Give us
meat, meat, and more meat!  Keep the sales bulls**t to
a minimum.

- Richard Klein

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Liam Healy
I think the documentation section needs to be organized.  I count over
two dozen links in a simple list with no apparent organization.  Some
(like "copyright") might be best under some other heading, like
downloading.  Some are minor topics, or of transient interest, such as
moving from 3.4 to 3.5.  Some, like v2 docs, are obsolete but still
needed somewhere.  The "5 minutes or less" probably deserves to be a
big button on the front page --- that's the programmer's equivalent of
eye candy.  Overall, I find that the most important docs (the v3 API
and API reference) are buried.

I suppose the best way to approach organizing this is to look at what
other free software sites do.  Just to pick the first on your list,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ looks like a reasonable way to go.
Each version has its own heading.  Manuals are separated from What's
New, FAQs,  etc., user documentation (API) separated from internals,
etc.  Maybe that's a good template for organization.

Liam

Liam

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Trevor Talbot-2
The documentation page is too scattered, and needs to be categorized:
short bits, like the intro and features lists; reference material,
like the SQL syntax and API pages; and detailed discussion, like the
locking methods and the like.

I echo P Kishor's comment that the date/time functions need to be
moved from the wiki to the docs, and that goes for anything else on
the wiki that's stable.

For the most part, I hate wikis.  I find some random wiki on the
internet, and it has no organization, the quality is dubious, the
search pages suck, etc.  When I want tinformation, I go straight to
the official documentation.  Even if there's a "wiki" link in the
site's menu, I ignore it as irrelevant.

SQLite's wiki, on the other hand, is quite useful.  That means it
needs to be promoted: it should be mentioned on the main documentation
page, along with examples of what information you can find there
(users, tools, enhanced versions, examples, etc).  It should also be
mentioned why it's on this separate "wiki" thing: it is open to
real-time user contributions to help stay current (or something).

If you can integrate user-contributed comments into the reference
material, similar to PostgreSQL's release documentation, I believe
that would be useful too.  It's a way to get data that's on the wiki
now closer to where it's needed.

ajm

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

ajm
In general I'm agree with Kishor comments, specially those related to the
ability to include comments to the documentation pages and the need of
*more* examples.

I recognize that the present design has its charm (those of a Web site made
by an engineer) but I recognize that has found some difficulties to find
some information, specially when beginning  with the matter.

Keeping in mind the type of public of this web, don't worry about certain
language frank and direct .  All us have the same problem (bugs) every day.

As an additional suggestion for those of us who love SQLite but can't
afford the cost of a maintenance subscription (or don't need it); put a
"donate" button and add a list of contributors.

A.J.Millan

Re: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Thanks, everybody, for the excellent feedback and suggestions
for revising the SQLite website.  Please keep the comments
coming.

Regarding the basic "look" of the site, we were considering
using a style similar to the once found at ActiveState

   http://www.activestate.com/

However, as we started to prototype this, we wrote down a
very simple CSS/Javascript-free template and after looking
at it, thought that this template might actually be better.
By being CSS and Javascript-free, the new design also stays
closer to the minimalist spirit of SQLite.

A rough prototype of what a revised website might look like
can be seen at

  http://sqlite.hwaci.com/

Please note that there are a lot of non-working links in this
demo - it is just concept demo.  And nobody is especially
happy with the content of the homepage.  (Suggestions for
what should appear on the homepage are welcomed.)

We are also working on a more elaborate concept that involves
lots of CSS and javascript, pulldown menus, graphics, after
the style of http://www.activestate.com/.  Depending on how
it looks in the end, we might or might not put the second
up for review later today or Monday.

Please continue to provide feedback.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[hidden email]>

RE: Suggests for improving the SQLite website

Doug-4
One thing I really like about the current home page is the listing of the
past 4-5 versions, the date when they were released and what changed.  It is
so easy to see what has changed since the version that I happen to be on.
That may not need to be on the front page necessarily (although I like it),
but please do keep the concise summary somewhere.

Gerry Snyder-4
[hidden email] wrote:

> A rough prototype of what a revised website might look like
> can be seen at
>
>   http://sqlite.hwaci.com/
Short, simple, and sweet. I like it.

My only specific comment was going to be a request to make the page for
datatypes easy to find. Until I made it a book mark for myself, I would
look at the FAQ's, search the wiki (perhaps missing it both places), and
finally find an email giving the URL. If it is already easy for everyone
else to find, no need to change the web page--just ban retards like me
from using the product.

SQLite rocks!

Gerry