Quantcast

System.Data.SQLite and VS2012 RTM designer support

System.Data.SQLite and VS2012 RTM designer support

Browser IA

Does System.Data.SQLite support Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate RTM? I ran the installation package (sqlite-netFx40-setup-bundle-x86-2010-1.0.82.0.exe). When I open up Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate, and navigate to "Server Explorer" and "Add Connection", under the "Data source" list SQLite is not available. It was available in the 1.0.66 version - that version also had an install.exe file in the bin\Designer directory that would re-install the VS support, if needed. I found a similar "installer.exe" in 1.0.82's bin directory, but it is different in that it doesn't try to reinstall the VS support when you run it.

I have not been able to find any information on how to address the issue. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Re: System.Data.SQLite and VS2012 RTM designer support

Joe Mistachkin-3

Browser IA wrote:

> Does System.Data.SQLite support Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate RTM?

Not yet.  It might or might not be in the future.  See:

        https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/faq.wiki#q2

> It was available in the 1.0.66 version - that version also had an
install.exe
> file in the bin\Designer directory that would re-install the VS support,
if
> needed.

No, it was not.  That version did not even support Visual Studio 2010.

> I found a similar "installer.exe" in 1.0.82's bin directory, but it is
different
> in that it doesn't try to reinstall the VS support when you run it.

The new "installer.exe" was written from the ground up.  None of the
original
code was reused.  It works entirely differently now.  Also, running it
directly
is not recommended, not to mention unsupported, because it has a very
complex
set of command line options needed to use it correctly.

--
Joe Mistachkin

Re: System.Data.SQLite and VS2012 RTM designer support

Browser IA

> > Does System.Data.SQLite support Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate RTM?
> >

> Not yet. It might or might not be in the future. See:
>
> https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/faq.wiki#q2

I saw this in the FAQ, however it says nothing specific about support for VS 2012, or designer support for VS 2012, hence my query.

> > It was available in the 1.0.66 version - that version also had an
> > install.exe file in the bin\Designer directory that would
> > re-install the VS support, if needed.
> >

> No, it was not. That version did not even support Visual Studio 2010.

Um, I'm sorry, that is not consistent with...our experience. My teammates and I have been running 1.0.66 with full designer support in VS 2010 for well over the past two years, that is, as long as VS 2010 has been out! It may be the case that this is not an "officially supported" configuration for 1.0.66, but that didn't prevent it from working just fine in VS 2010, all the way up through today. The reason I know about the install.exe file in the bin\Designer directory is because we would have to use it occasionally when a "patch Tuesday" update would temporarily make the designer support "disappear" from VS 2010 (it just happened with the last patch Tuesday), running this file put the support back, without having to reinstall SQLite or VS 2010...

> > I found a similar "installer.exe" in 1.0.82's bin directory, but
> > it is different in that it doesn't try to reinstall the VS support
> > when you run it.
> >

> The new "installer.exe" was written from the ground up. None of the
> original code was reused. It works entirely differently now. Also,
> running it directly is not recommended, not to mention unsupported,
> because it has a very complex set of command line options needed
> to use it correctly.

Yes I discovered that prior to posting here, I had tried debugging it as it was running (BREAK=1, attach), but I have no experience with Visual Studio extensions, nor how to interface designers with the Visual Studio shell, so I quickly realized I have no idea what is "right" vs. what is "wrong" when I was stepping through the code.

I have found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11291423/sqlite-with-visual-studio-2012-and-net-4-5, someone seems to have worked out a way to make the 1.0.66 designer support continue to work for VS 2012 (apparently, there is something different that prevents this from "just working" like it did from VS 2008 to VS 2010), but I don't feel comfortable with the author's solution, as it is an opaque binary that I have no real idea what it is doing. I'd also rather be at a more current version of SQLite. If I knew support for VS 2012 was coming sometime in the near future, that would help me decide whether to move to the latest (broken) release with VS 2012, or stick with 1.0.66 without a designer until such time as support can be added, neither situation is ideal, but I need to decide on one path or the other, quickly.

Browser IA wrote:

> Um, I'm sorry, that is not consistent with...our experience. My teammates
and I have
> been running 1.0.66 with full designer support in VS 2010 for well over
the past two
> years, that is, as long as VS 2010 has been out! It may be the case that
this is not
> an "officially supported" configuration for 1.0.66, but that didn't
prevent it from
> working just fine in VS 2010, all the way up through today. The reason I
know about
> the install.exe file in the bin\Designer directory is because we would
have to use
> it occasionally when a "patch Tuesday" update would temporarily make the
designer
> support "disappear" from VS 2010 (it just happened with the last patch
Tuesday),
> running this file put the support back, without having to reinstall SQLite
or VS
> 2010...

The official release of 1.0.66.0 (from http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/) never
supported
Visual Studio 2010, nor the .NET Framework 4.0.  There were several
"unofficial"
modifications to 1.0.66.0 that attempted to support Visual Studio 2010;
however, I have
no idea who worked on those efforts.  Officially, support for Visual Studio
2010 and
the .NET Framework 4.0 was added sometime around version 1.0.67.0, as seen
here:

        https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/news.wiki

The newly refactored designer support for Visual Studio (including 2010) was
not added
until around version 1.0.78.0.

> Yes I discovered that prior to posting here, I had tried debugging it as
it was
> running (BREAK=1, attach), but I have no experience with Visual Studio
extensions,
> nor how to interface designers with the Visual Studio shell, so I quickly
realized
> I have no idea what is "right" vs. what is "wrong" when I was stepping
through the
> code.

The code for the "installer.exe" file basically sets up a bunch of registry
keys and
modifies a couple .NET Framework configuration files.  The complexity is
mostly due
to the extra safety checks and validation it performs during the process,
including
supporting a "what-if" mode and full logging support.

> I have found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11291423/sqlite-with-visual-
> studio-2012-and-net-4-5, someone seems to have worked out a way to make
the 1.0.66
> designer support continue to work for VS 2012 (apparently, there is
something
> different that prevents this from "just working" like it did from VS 2008
to VS
> 2010), but I don't feel comfortable with the author's solution, as it is
an opaque
> binary that I have no real idea what it is doing. I'd also rather be at a
more
> current version of SQLite. If I knew support for VS 2012 was coming
sometime in the
> near future, that would help me decide whether to move to the latest
(broken)
> release with VS 2012, or stick with 1.0.66 without a designer until such
time as
> support can be added, neither situation is ideal, but I need to decide on
one path
> or the other, quickly.

I'm not familiar with the various links in that post; however, version
1.0.66.0 is
quite old (circa April 2010) and many issues have been fixed since then.

--
Joe Mistachkin

Browser IA wrote:

> Does System.Data.SQLite support Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate RTM?

The latest trunk code now supports Visual Studio 2012 and the .NET Framework
4.5.
The changes required to make this work were fairly extensive.  This support
will
be present in the next release, 1.0.83.0, currently scheduled for early
November.
Alternatively, if you cannot wait until then, the current trunk code
binaries and
setups can be built using the steps described here:

https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/build.wiki

https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/release.wiki

Please let us know if this works for you.

--
Joe Mistachkin