TRIM Function in Python3's sqlite3 import

TRIM Function in Python3's sqlite3 import

Ed Lipson
I shifting some Python code to Linux from Windows. I find that TRIN i
smissing from the verison on Linux.
Python reports this version information
sqlite.version 2.6.0 for both Windows and Linux
sqlite.sqlite_version 3.3.6 for Linux, 3.15.2 for Windows.

Two questions:
1. When was TRIM added as a function?
2. How do I update the RHEL Python to a version which has the TRIM
function, or is there a replacement function available in 3.3.6 to which I
can change the code?

Thanks,
Ed

Re: TRIM Function in Python3's sqlite3 import

David Raymond
http://www.sqlite.org/changes.html

Looks like trim was added in 10 years ago in 3.4.0 (2007-06-18)

Can't help you with the Linux side of things, sorry.

Re: TRIM Function in Python3's sqlite3 import

Ed Lipson
David - thanks for the pointer to when TRIM showed up. Python is 10 years
out of date!! Wow!!

Upgrade was not super difficult, I kind of figured it out with a lot of
searching for answers.

Searching about upgrades, I found this listing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/3docsa/how_do_i_upgrade_the_sqlite_lib_in_python34/

It pointed me in a direction which worked on Ubuntu 17.10 and Fedora Server
27. I actually am running RHEL 5, but wanted to test the upgrade before
getting back to the office. I figured Fedora Server was 'close' to RHEL.

I'm using a python installed without root (setting the ./configure
--prefix=<pwd>). So when I saw the download options for SQLite3, I picked
the one with configure and tried the same --prefix option. After make
install, I had the so libraries. I got the new libraries to be used by
setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to a value of the sqlite3-3210000/lib. All the
python modules showed sqlite3.sqlite_version of 3.20.1 when I don't have
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, and 3.21.00 when I do.

Thanks again, Merry Christmas!!

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:39:38 +0000
From: David Raymond <[hidden email]>