Tad - An Open Source Pivot Table Viewer for CSVs and sqlite

Tad - An Open Source Pivot Table Viewer for CSVs and sqlite

Antony Courtney
Hello sqlite users!

About two weeks ago I released Tad, an open source (MIT licensed) desktop
application for viewing and analyzing CSV files:

   http://www.tadviewer.com

The core of Tad is a pivot table that generates SQL queries run against an
embedded instance of SQLite.

I've just pushed an update to Tad that may be of interest to SQLite users.

This latest release of Tad (0.8.3) allows Tad to be used to explore tables
in saved sqlite database files. For example, to explore table expenses in
sqlite db file /data/accounts.sqlite:
  $ tad sqlite:///data/accounts.sqlite/expenses
(Note that there are 3 slashes following sqlite:)

Tad uses LIMIT and OFFSET to only pull as many rows as needed to display
the current viewport, even in the presence of pivoting, so it's possible to
use Tad on large tables. If you're interested in the (monster!) queries
that Tad throws at SQLite to construct the pivot table, add the arguments -f
--show-queries to the command line.

I hope you find Tad useful. Please send feedback and bug reports to
[hidden email].

   -Antony Courtney

Re: Tad - An Open Source Pivot Table Viewer for CSVs and sqlite

Dominique Devienne
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Antony Courtney <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Tad uses LIMIT and OFFSET to only pull as many rows as needed to display
> the current viewport, even in the presence of pivoting, so it's possible to
> use Tad on large tables.

I'm no expert at all in this domain, but I believe it was discussed several
times
on this list that using LIMIT and OFFSET for a "scrolling cursor" is not
the most
efficient way to achieve that goal. Hopefully experts like DRH, James, and
co.
will provide more information and pointers (which I can't find right now).
FWIW. --DD