Tera-byte Scalability

Navaneeth Sen B
Hello all,

I would like to get a clarification on one point:

"SQLite has had to sacrifice other characteristics that some people find
useful, such as high concurrency, fine-grained access control, a rich
set of built-in functions, stored procedures, esoteric SQL language
features, XML and/or Java extensions, *tera- or peta-byte scalability*,
and so forth"
Source : http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

Does that mean it cannot support data sizes greater than 1TB.
Can somebody explain me the meaning of terabyte scalability with respect
to DB's.

I would also like to know whether SQLite can handle *.mts* files(AVCHD).

Re: Tera-byte Scalability

Simon Slavin-3

On 29 Mar 2010, at 3:36pm, Navaneeth Sen B wrote:

> Does that mean it cannot support data sizes greater than 1TB.

SQLite can handle whatever your file system can handle.  Probably 4TB, if your OS will handle that much.  However there are a number of limits involved in what it does.  You're probably interested in sections 12 and 13 of

http://www.sqlite.org/limits.html

> Can somebody explain me the meaning of terabyte scalability with respect
> to DB's.

The question is too vague for me.  You're going to have to explain what you want to do.

> I would also like to know whether SQLite can handle *.mts* files(AVCHD).

SQLite is a database system which reads and writes its own database files, which contain data of various types.  AVCHD files are video files which contain video information.  Due to restrictions on the licensing associated with AVCHD you may not extract AVCHD information and use it as data in other files, licensed tools will handle it only if it's in a file of its own.  So even though SQLite (and many other DBMSs) could conceivably handle AVCHD data as BLOBs, the tools should refused to handle raw data.

Again, what is it you actually want to do ?

Re: Tera-byte Scalability

Puneet Kishor-2
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2010, at 3:36pm, Navaneeth Sen B wrote:
>
>> Does that mean it cannot support data sizes greater than 1TB.
>
> SQLite can handle whatever your file system can handle.  Probably 4TB, if your OS will handle that much.  However there are a number of limits involved in what it does.  You're probably interested in sections 12 and 13 of
>
> http://www.sqlite.org/limits.html
>
>> Can somebody explain me the meaning of terabyte scalability with respect
>> to DB's.
>
> The question is too vague for me.  You're going to have to explain what you want to do.
>
>> I would also like to know whether SQLite can handle *.mts* files(AVCHD).

Well, if by "SQLite can handle" the OP wants to know whether or not
SQLite "can store" *.mts* files, then, yes... SQLite is capable of
storing any binary blobs. It doesn't care whether they are video or
music or any other binary format, no matter how vague or obscure or
digitally restricted it might be.

> SQLite is a database system which reads and writes its own database files, which contain data of various types.  AVCHD files are video files which contain video information.  Due to restrictions on the licensing associated with AVCHD you may not extract AVCHD information and use it as data in other files, licensed tools will handle it only if it's in a file of its own.  So even though SQLite (and many other DBMSs) could conceivably handle AVCHD data as BLOBs, the tools should refused to handle raw data.
>
> Again, what is it you actually want to do ?
>
> Simon.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org

Re: Tera-byte Scalability

Jay Kreibich
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:33:53AM -0500, P Kishor scratched on the wall:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 29 Mar 2010, at 3:36pm, Navaneeth Sen B wrote:
> >
> >> Does that mean it cannot support data sizes greater than 1TB.

> >> I would also like to know whether SQLite can handle *.mts* files(AVCHD).
>
> Well, if by "SQLite can handle" the OP wants to know whether or not
> SQLite "can store" *.mts* files, then, yes... SQLite is capable of
> storing any binary blobs.

  Rows and BLOBs are limited to 2GB; less by default.  It isn't unusual
  for an MTS file to be larger than this.  So while there isn't a format
  issue, there is an environment issue.

  Personally, the idea of putting large MTS files into an SQLite
  database as BLOBs seems like a very Bad Idea.  If you just want
  single-file bundles, something like TAR or ZIP or some other generic
  "container" seems much more likely to work, but I still don't really
  see the point.  If you want a meta-filesystem (filesystem-in-a-file),
  find a product that does that.

   -j

--
Jay A. Kreibich < J A Y  @  K R E I B I.C H >

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson

Re: Tera-byte Scalability