Tiger: Error: file is encrypted or is not a database

Tiger: Error: file is encrypted or is not a database

Helmut Tschemernjak
Hello,

I try to look into the sqlite database in Mac OS X Tiger at:
/.Spotlight-V100/

I cannot dump any data or schema and the file magic is not containing
sqlite. The data is not encrypted. It looks like the file is
incompatible with sqlite3.

Any ideas how to find out what Tiger is storing?

Helmut Tschemernjak

Re: Tiger: Error: file is encrypted or is not a database

Will Leshner

On Jun 6, 2005, at 7:36 AM, Helmut Tschemernjak wrote:

> The data is not encrypted.

What makes you think it is a SQLite database (a slightly rhetorical
question as I'm pretty sure I know what makes you think that). But,
and this isn't rhetorical, what makes you think it isn't encrypted?

Just do a less on the .db files and you can see the information is in
clear text. I will investigate into it a little bit more.

On Jun 6, 2005, at 6:01 PM, Helmut Tschemernjak wrote:

> Just do a less on the .db files and you can see the information is
> in clear text. I will investigate into it a little bit more.

I did on one file, but it was not clear text. Do you see a SQLite
header on the files?

Re: Tiger: Error: file is encrypted or is not a database

Kyle Jessup
On Jun 6, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Helmut Tschemernjak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I try to look into the sqlite database in Mac OS X Tiger
> at: /.Spotlight-V100/
>
> I cannot dump any data or schema and the file magic is not
> containing sqlite. The data is not encrypted. It looks like the
> file is incompatible with sqlite3.
>
> Any ideas how to find out what Tiger is storing?

This isn't a SQLite file. I don't believe Spotlight uses SQLite.

Mail's db is located here (no message body data; just subjects,
addresses etc.):
~/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

...that is readable.

-K