Using Chinook

Roger Schlueter-2
I am just starting to learn SQLite so I am afraid my questions here will
be quite simple for a (very long?) while compared to those I have been
reading.  I'm starting by trying to follow the tutorial.

I have SQLite, the GUI, and chinook.db installed on Windows 10 but not
in the default directories.  In the cmd window I have this:

C:\Program Files\SQLite>sqlite3 e:\"VB Resources"\SQLite\chinook.db
Error: unable to open database "e:"VB": unable to open database file

It appears that SQLite does not like directory names with embedded
blanks.  Is that correct?  If so, is there a workaround?

Roger

Re: Using Chinook

Richard Hipp-3
On 8/13/18, Roger Schlueter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It appears that SQLite does not like directory names with embedded
> blanks.  Is that correct?

Incorrect.

I do not know why your command is not working.  Perhaps your
command-line process is expecting the entire filename to be quoted,
rather than just the one directory that has a space in its name:

    sqlite3 "e:\VB Resources\SQLite\chinook.db"

But your original command worked fine for me on Win10.  So I don't
know what the problem is.

Re: Using Chinook

Chris Locke-3
When using directories with spaces, its better (or necessary) to include
the whole directory in double quotes.  Therefore, try entering this:
sqlite3 "e:\VB Resources\SQLite\chinook.db"

No problems with being a novice - everyone was a novice once.

Thanks,
Chris

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM Roger Schlueter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am just starting to learn SQLite so I am afraid my questions here will
> be quite simple for a (very long?) while compared to those I have been
> reading.  I'm starting by trying to follow the tutorial.
>
> I have SQLite, the GUI, and chinook.db installed on Windows 10 but not
> in the default directories.  In the cmd window I have this:
>
> C:\Program Files\SQLite>sqlite3 e:\"VB Resources"\SQLite\chinook.db
> Error: unable to open database "e:"VB": unable to open database file
>
> It appears that SQLite does not like directory names with embedded
> blanks.  Is that correct?  If so, is there a workaround?
>
> Roger

Re: Using Chinook

Chris Locke-3
> to include the whole directory

Sorry, I meant the whole filename.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM Chris Locke <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When using directories with spaces, its better (or necessary) to include
> the whole directory in double quotes.  Therefore, try entering this:
> sqlite3 "e:\VB Resources\SQLite\chinook.db"
>
> No problems with being a novice - everyone was a novice once.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM Roger Schlueter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am just starting to learn SQLite so I am afraid my questions here will
>> be quite simple for a (very long?) while compared to those I have been
>> reading.  I'm starting by trying to follow the tutorial.
>>
>> I have SQLite, the GUI, and chinook.db installed on Windows 10 but not
>> in the default directories.  In the cmd window I have this:
>>
>> C:\Program Files\SQLite>sqlite3 e:\"VB Resources"\SQLite\chinook.db
>> Error: unable to open database "e:"VB": unable to open database file
>>
>> It appears that SQLite does not like directory names with embedded
>> blanks.  Is that correct?  If so, is there a workaround?
>>
>> Roger

Re: Using Chinook

Chris Locke-3
> I am just starting to learn SQLite

Just a nod to check out (if you haven't already) the tutorials on w3schools.
https://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Not only do they clearly explain various SQL commands, but you can try them
out 'live' on their website using sample databases - nothing to install.