Using My Own Encryption Possible ?

a a

Using My Own Encryption Possible ?

a a
Hello,

Is there a possibility to use my own Encryption for enctrypting the database file or i can use it only for my data being stored ?

I am wondering if there is way to get the full database encrypted (database schema) and not only my entered values.

If it needs to go through a perpetual way mentioned at sqlite.org or i can use my own for enctrypting the file.

Thanks in advance

Re: Using My Own Encryption Possible ?

Simon Slavin-3

On 29 Feb 2016, at 12:51pm, a a <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a possibility to use my own Encryption for enctrypting the database file or i can use it only for my data being stored ?
>
> I am wondering if there is way to get the full database encrypted (database schema) and not only my entered values.

If you're looking for a proper supported commercial implementation then use SEE:

<http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/see.html>

You must buy a license to use this.

If you're trying to implement your own, there are a few ways to do it.  You can implement your own VFS:

<http://www.sqlite.org/vfs.html>

Start by taking one of the existing VFSs (several examples are supplied with the source code to SQLite) then add encryption/decryption as the last/first things done as data is written/read from the disk.

Another way would be to write your own authorizer which, among other things, did some encryption of the data involved.

<https://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/set_authorizer.html>

Re: Using My Own Encryption Possible ?

Dominique Devienne
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another way would be to write your own authorizer which, among other
> things, did some encryption of the data involved.
> <https://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/set_authorizer.html>

It's the first time I read someone proposing using an authorizer has more
than just a "predicate".

And quickly reading the doc, and it doesn't seem like modifying the SQL (to
inject some function
calls to do encryption/decryption on the fly), as would be required for
"cell"-level encryption.

Can an authorizer really be "abused" that way? Thanks, --DD

Re: Using My Own Encryption Possible ?

R Smith

On 2016/02/29 3:28 PM, Dominique Devienne wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Another way would be to write your own authorizer which, among other
>> things, did some encryption of the data involved.
>> <https://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/set_authorizer.html>
>
> It's the first time I read someone proposing using an authorizer has more
> than just a "predicate".
>
> And quickly reading the doc, and it doesn't seem like modifying the SQL (to
> inject some function
> calls to do encryption/decryption on the fly), as would be required for
> "cell"-level encryption.
>
> Can an authorizer really be "abused" that way? Thanks, --DD

I think Simon might have meant the data coming out of the query can be
decrypted based on what the Authorizer gleans from the query text.
Either way, I would also be interested to know if the Authorizer can in
any way alter a Query - as opposed to simply saying yay or nay.

Thanks,
Ryan

On 29 Feb 2016, at 1:28pm, Dominique Devienne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can an authorizer really be "abused" that way?

You're quite right.  It's not useful for this.  Thanks for the heads-up.  Sorry.

a a

Re: Using My Own Encryption Possible ?

a a
Thank you for your responces,

I am looking for a non commercial way to make my own encrypted database file if it can be done and if it can be easy by using any kind of encryption i prefer with my own script
I want to be able to enrypt and manage the database encrypted with my own encryption like SEE commercial use .. thats what i am asking if it is possible

On 29 Feb 2016, at 3:44pm, a a <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to be able to enrypt and manage the database encrypted with my own encryption like SEE commercial use .. thats what i am asking if it is possible

There are a few free encryption systems available.  Try googling 'sqlite encryption' and seeing if any are compatible with your development environment.

Re: Using My Own Encryption Possible ?

Ulrich Telle
Am 29.02.2016 um 16:44 schrieb a a:
> Thank you for your responces,
>
> I am looking for a non commercial way to make my own encrypted database file if it can be done and if it can be easy by using any kind of encryption i prefer with my own script
> I want to be able to enrypt and manage the database encrypted with my own encryption like SEE commercial use .. thats what i am asking if it is possible

In addition to the official commercial SEE component, there are several
non-commercial and commercial encryption extensions available for SQLite:

1) SQLCipher - https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/
2) System.Data.SQLite -
http://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki
3) wxSQLite3 - https://github.com/utelle/wxsqlite3