VS2008 design support error

Levi Haskell

Just installed .NET3.5 32bit bundle v1.0.79.0 (on a 64bit Win7 machine).

When I open VS2008 -> go to Server Explorer -> Add Connection -> Select 'System...SQLite ... provider' I get the following error:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
Package Load FailurePackage 'System.Data.SQLite Designer Package' has failed to load properly ( GUID = {DCBE6C8D-0E57-4099-A183-98FF74C64D9C} ). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use 'devenv /resetskippkgs' to re-enable package loading.
---------------------------
Yes   No
--------------------------- It still lets me enter the connection string but, and 'Test Connection' is successful, but then when I click 'OK' to save the new connection I get the same error again followed by:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
An unexpected error occurred in the .NET Framework Data Provider for SQLite.  Please contact the provider vendor to resolve this problem.
---------------------------
OK

Re: VS2008 design support error

Joe Mistachkin-3

Levi Haskell wrote:

> When I open VS2008 -> go to Server Explorer -> Add Connection -> Select
> 'System...SQLite ... provider' I get the > following error:

Without more details it's tough to guess what the precise problem is (as
package load failures are fairly generic and can be caused by a variety of
issues).

One thought: Did you select the option (during the setup) to place the
assemblies into the GAC?

--
Joe Mistachkin

Re: VS2008 design support error

Levi Haskell

I tried it both ways, even tried putting SQLite.Designer.dll into GAC (which as I now understand is not required). Still the same result.

Interestingly it works fine with VS2010 on the same machine. Is there a log file I can look up somewhere on the disk where I can get more specific error from?

Thanks,
 - Levi
 > From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:51:27 -0800
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] VS2008 design support error
>

> Levi Haskell wrote:
> >
> > When I open VS2008 -> go to Server Explorer -> Add Connection -> Select
> > 'System...SQLite ... provider' I get the > following error:
> >

> Without more details it's tough to guess what the precise problem is (as
> package load failures are fairly generic and can be caused by a variety of
> issues).
>
> One thought: Did you select the option (during the setup) to place the
> assemblies into the GAC?
>
> --
> Joe Mistachkin

Re: VS2008 design support error

Simon Slavin-3

On 30 Jan 2012, at 6:04pm, Levi Haskell wrote:

> Interestingly it works fine with VS2010 on the same machine. Is there a log file I can look up somewhere on the disk where I can get more specific error from?

You might want to ask this on a forum about VS2010.  There's apparently nothing wrong with the SQLite element.

Levi Haskell wrote:

> Is there a log file I can look up somewhere on the disk where I can
> get more specific error from?

Yes, logging can be enabled as described in:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dr._ex/archive/2006/12/14/debugging-package-load-fai
lures.aspx

--
Joe Mistachkin

Simon Slavin wrote:

> You might want to ask this on a forum about VS2010.  There's apparently
> nothing wrong with the SQLite element.

The designer components are part of System.Data.SQLite and are currently
supported by me.

--
Joe Mistachkin