What is SSE?

nedbatchelder
Every so often I check the CVS timeline
(http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/timeline) to get a preview of the changes
being checked in.  It helps me know what to expect in upcoming releases.
Lately Dan has been checking in stuff for "SSE".  Do you mind if I ask: what
is SSE?

--Ned.

http://nedbatchelder.com

Re: What is SSE?

D. Richard Hipp
On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 09:26 -0400, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> Every so often I check the CVS timeline
> (http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/timeline) to get a preview of the changes
> being checked in.  It helps me know what to expect in upcoming releases.
> Lately Dan has been checking in stuff for "SSE".  Do you mind if I ask: what
> is SSE?

SSE is a proprietary extension for SQLite that allows SQLite to be
run on low-power, low-memory embedded devices.  SSE separates the
SQL parser from the B-Tree backend.  The parser runs on your development
platform and only the B-Tree backend needs to be put onto the
embedded device.  This reduces the footprint of the library to
about 75KB, depending on what features you decide to leave out.
(Example: many embedded applications do not require the built-in
date/time functions which saves about 8KB.)

SSE is proprietary.  It is available by license only.  It is designed
for use by embedded device manufacturers and is of little use to
open-source developers.  The bulk of the SSE code is in a separate,
private source tree.  But a few adjustments to the public domain
SQLite source base have needed to be made in order to properly
integrate SSE.  It is those (relatively minor) adjustments that
you are seeing on the SQLite website.
D. Richard Hipp <[hidden email]>

Re: What is SSE?

Cory Nelson
Wow, that is sure to cause some confusion with the instruction set!
Just some friendly advice- is there a better name it could be given?

--
Cory Nelson
http://www.int64.org