What to download for SharpDevelop?

LouOttawa
I read the list of downloads for SQLite, but I'm confused.
1) I need a DLL to reference data objects in a C# Application developed
under SharpDevelop - (Like VS), using .Net Framework 4. But I also need to
access a SQLite database from the application. Does the DLL do both or will
I need SQLite3.exe as well?

2) The SQLite Download page lists precompiled binaries for Windows, and
then has a link to binaries for .Net.
The Windows binaries are:
- sqlite-dll-win32-x86-3071000 is composed of SQLite3.def and SQLite3.DLL.
Should I be using one or both of these?
- sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3071000.zip contains only SQLite3.exe

Which set should I be downloading?

2) For the .Net Binaries (System.Data.SQLite Download Page), there are
"set-ups" and then the binaries for 32-bit Windows (Net Framework 4). They
are quite similar in content, but what are their uses?

These sets have a binary-bundle and just a straight binary. Which should I
be using?

--
Lou Arnold
Ottawa, Canada

Re: What to download for SharpDevelop?

jreidthompson
On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 14:46 -0500, Lou Arnold wrote:
> I read the list of downloads for SQLite, but I'm confused.

these examples may be of use
http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/forums/p/76/266.aspx

On 19 Jan 2012, at 7:46pm, Lou Arnold wrote:

> 1) I need a DLL to reference data objects in a C# Application developed
> under SharpDevelop - (Like VS), using .Net Framework 4. But I also need to
> access a SQLite database from the application. Does the DLL do both or will
> I need SQLite3.exe as well?

sqlite3.exe is a command-line tool to manipulate and consult a database by typing.  You wouldn't normally use it in a production environment, it's more for creating a new database or testing out commands to make sure they do what you think they do.

> 2) The SQLite Download page lists precompiled binaries for Windows, and
> then has a link to binaries for .Net.
> The Windows binaries are:
> - sqlite-dll-win32-x86-3071000 is composed of SQLite3.def and SQLite3.DLL.
> Should I be using one or both of these?
> - sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3071000.zip contains only SQLite3.exe
>
> Which set should I be downloading?

None of them.  You should be downloading the amalgamation code (from the same downloads page) and including it in your projects.  Then you can compile it for any combination of hardware and OS your project runs on without worrying about what someone else wanted it for, or what some other programmer is depending on their version to do.

Re: What to download for SharpDevelop?

LouOttawa
Hello Simon,
When you say "amalgamation code" are do you mean source code? And if so
then I should compile SQLite? Are the pre-compiled binaries not suitable?
If I were using Visual Studio, then a few DLLs would all that's needed.
SharpDevelop uses these DLLs just as they are.
Lou.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2012, at 7:46pm, Lou Arnold wrote:
>
> > 1) I need a DLL to reference data objects in a C# Application developed
> > under SharpDevelop - (Like VS), using .Net Framework 4. But I also need
> > access a SQLite database from the application. Does the DLL do both or
> will
> > I need SQLite3.exe as well?
>

> sqlite3.exe is a command-line tool to manipulate and consult a database by
> typing.  You wouldn't normally use it in a production environment, it's
> more for creating a new database or testing out commands to make sure they
> do what you think they do.
>
> > 2) The SQLite Download page lists precompiled binaries for Windows, and
> > then has a link to binaries for .Net.
> > The Windows binaries are:
> > - sqlite-dll-win32-x86-3071000 is composed of SQLite3.def and
> SQLite3.DLL.
> > Should I be using one or both of these?
> > - sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3071000.zip contains only SQLite3.exe
> >
> > Which set should I be downloading?
>
> None of them.  You should be downloading the amalgamation code (from the
> same downloads page) and including it in your projects.  Then you can
> compile it for any combination of hardware and OS your project runs on
> without worrying about what someone else wanted it for, or what some other
> programmer is depending on their version to do.
>
> Simon.

Lou Arnold
Ottawa, Canada

Re: What to download for SharpDevelop?

Simon Slavin-3

On 19 Jan 2012, at 10:37pm, Lou Arnold wrote:

> When you say "amalgamation code" are do you mean source code?

If you're programming in C or any superset of C then yes, you can get a specially optimised 'amalgamation' version of the source code all in two files (.c and .h) from

<http://www.sqlite.org/download.html>

and just compile it into your project.  This lets you pick whatever compilation targets and options you want.

>  And if so
> then I should compile SQLite?

SQLite isn't a stand-alone thing.  It's just a set of C functions.  You can't compile it on its own because it has no 'main' function.  But you can compile its source along with your program's source.  And the whole thing is so tiny it won't add much weight to your code.

> Are the pre-compiled binaries not suitable?
> If I were using Visual Studio, then a few DLLs would all that's needed.
> SharpDevelop uses these DLLs just as they are.

If the DLLs on that page do what you want, by all means use them.  But be aware of Windows' stupid implementation of DLLs which mean that if you're running anything else on your computer that uses a SQLite DLL you can't trust which version of SQLite it'll end up using.  Plenty of discussion of this in the archives of this group.

Re: What to download for SharpDevelop?

LouOttawa
OK. Thanks.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2012, at 10:37pm, Lou Arnold wrote:
>
> > When you say "amalgamation code" are do you mean source code?
>
> If you're programming in C or any superset of C then yes, you can get a
> specially optimised 'amalgamation' version of the source code all in two
> files (.c and .h) from
>
> <http://www.sqlite.org/download.html>
>
> and just compile it into your project.  This lets you pick whatever
> compilation targets and options you want.
>
> >  And if so
> > then I should compile SQLite?
>
> SQLite isn't a stand-alone thing.  It's just a set of C functions.  You
> can't compile it on its own because it has no 'main' function.  But you can
> compile its source along with your program's source.  And the whole thing
> is so tiny it won't add much weight to your code.
>
> > Are the pre-compiled binaries not suitable?
> > If I were using Visual Studio, then a few DLLs would all that's needed.
> > SharpDevelop uses these DLLs just as they are.
>
> If the DLLs on that page do what you want, by all means use them.  But be
> aware of Windows' stupid implementation of DLLs which mean that if you're
> running anything else on your computer that uses a SQLite DLL you can't
> trust which version of SQLite it'll end up using.  Plenty of discussion of
> this in the archives of this group.
>
> Simon.

Lou Arnold
Ottawa, Canada