Whish List for 2015

big stone
Hi all,

To prepare for  end of 2014 greetings moment, here is my whish list for
2015:
- a minimal subset of analytic functions [1], that I hope may help
end-user/students popularity [2]
- better information on what is coming ahead, for example:
   . I see the 'sessions' tree moving along main tree since a few months,
what is it about ?
   . sqlite4 is dead because sqlite3 did progress quicker than expected ?
   . ....

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/tutorial-window.html

[2] http://db-engines.com/en/ranking_trend

Re: Whish List for 2015

Stephen Chrzanowski
For your second point, SQLite4 "may" never be released, or if it is going
to be, not for a few years yet.  4 is a toy for the devs to try things out
without borking things up in 3.  3 is being used by millions (or is it
billions?) of devices and applications that the dev team is (very right) in
not tinkering with as it could break a LOT of applications.

I had already poked the team about the life expectancy of 3 and meat and
potatoes of the conversation was that due to 3 being used in so many known,
and unknown places that its expiry isn't going to be for a long while yet.

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 4:47 AM, big stone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To prepare for  end of 2014 greetings moment, here is my whish list for
> 2015:
> - a minimal subset of analytic functions [1], that I hope may help
> end-user/students popularity [2]
> - better information on what is coming ahead, for example:
>    . I see the 'sessions' tree moving along main tree since a few months,
> what is it about ?
>    . sqlite4 is dead because sqlite3 did progress quicker than expected ?
>    . ....
>
> [1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/tutorial-window.html
>
> [2] http://db-engines.com/en/ranking_trend
>
> Regards,

Re: Whish List for 2015

Petite Abeille-2

> On Dec 21, 2014, at 10:47 AM, big stone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> - a minimal subset of analytic functions

+ MERGE! Yeah!

Happy Holidays!

Re: Whish List for 2015

On 21 Dec 2014, at 2:39pm, Stephen Chrzanowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SQLite4 "may" never be released, or if it is going
> to be, not for a few years yet.

SQLite 4 can be whatever gets released next.  It may be nothing like SQLite4 is now.  Next month one of the developer team may have  some terrific idea which causes them to scrap the current system and start again.  Alternatively Dr Hipp may already have a plan to release SQLite4 on January the first.  We can't know.

When you're wishing for the future, however, it's best to wish big, not for a tiny step-wise improvement.  Don't wish for a system with a better journalling mode, wish for a system without 17 journalling different modes.  Don't wish for faster locking, wish for a system that doesn't use locking.  And hope most of all that Dr Hipp doesn't care what you want and is channelling Henry Ford:

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

(Note: This quote is famous but was probably never spoken by Mr Ford.)

Re: Whish List for 2015

Constantine Yannakopoulos
On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you're wishing for the future, however, it's best to wish big, not
> for a tiny step-wise improvement.  Don't wish for a system with a better
> journalling mode, wish for a system without 17 journalling different
> modes.  Don't wish for faster locking, wish for a system that doesn't use
> locking.  And hope most of all that Dr Hipp doesn't care what you want and
> is channelling Henry Ford:
>
> “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster
> horses.”
>
> (Note: This quote is famous but was probably never spoken by Mr Ford.)

If an Alfa Romeo owner demands that Alfa Romeo produce a 600HP hypercar,
Alfa Romeo will kindly direct them to buy a Ferrari.​ The same way Dr Hipp
will probably direct a person asking for lockless readers and row version
concurrency to use PostgreSQL instead of SQLite by posting a link to
whentouse.html.

Asking for a MERGE statement, full ALTER TABLE support or better FK
violation error reporting (my own wish list) is something that IMHO Dr Hipp
cannot dismiss that easily. They are reasonable features to ask of an SQL
database, no matter how "lite". It is like asking Alfa Romeo to improve
their cars' gearboxes and fuel consumption, they cannot get away from that.

--Constantine

PS: Whenever I see an Alfa Romeo I tip my hat --Henry Ford. :)

Re: Whish List for 2015

jonathon

On 21/12/14 09:47, big stone wrote:

>that I hope may help end-user/students popularity [2]
> [2] http://db-engines.com/en/ranking_trend

The methodology used by that site is tilted in favour of big data, and
complex databases. Consequently, even if there are ten million SQLite
databases for every non-SQLite database, SQLite won't rank very high.

SQLite shines something that is created for a one time use, and then can
be deleted, because it is no longer needed. Which is not to say that
SQLite is not a good database engine. But for quick and dirty and work,
SQLite is more suitable than Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, or
PostgreSQL. (Most databases are created for a one time use, where quick
and dirty is the most important criterion. Then, because of their
usefulness, they are re-used, and made even more complex, and relied
upon for more things. Until the original database has become "mission
critical", without anybody noticing it. Fortunately for all, SQLite can
scale to that usage, without undue damage.)

>sqlite4 is dead because sqlite3 did progress quicker than expected ?

>From reading the blogs, etc, SQLite4 is "experimental" and to be used
only when you don't object to losing everything --- OS, database,
applications, hardware --- on your system, and everything that is
networked to it, and all backups made since the dawn of the computer age.

Those same sources imply that things that work, are useful, and _will
not break_ existing setups, will be migrated to SQLite 3.x.

jonathon

Re: Whish List for 2015

Simon Slavin-3

On 21 Dec 2014, at 10:01pm, jonathon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/12/14 09:47, big stone wrote:
>
>> that I hope may help end-user/students popularity [2]
>> [2] http://db-engines.com/en/ranking_trend
>
> The methodology used by that site is tilted in favour of big data, and
> complex databases. Consequently, even if there are ten million SQLite
> databases for every non-SQLite database, SQLite won't rank very high.
>
> SQLite shines something that is created for a one time use, and then can
> be deleted, because it is no longer needed. Which is not to say that
> SQLite is not a good database engine. But for quick and dirty and work,
> SQLite is more suitable than Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, or
> PostgreSQL.

Also worth reminding people that (statistically speaking) almost no SQLite installations are in
devices with permanent power-supplies and internet connectivity.  SQLite is in your tablet, your mobile phone, your TV, your PVR/DVR, your Games console, your car, your GPS device, and built into your web browser.  Almost nobody who is running SQLite knows they run SQLite.

This doesn't even cover SQLite's use on millions of embedded computers built into data-capture hardware like the device your courier uses to list their deliveries and capture signatures.

You cannot run an Oracle server on these machines.  (No slight to Oracle: that's not what Oracle is made for.)  Nor would someone learning SQL want to run an Oracle server to do their coursework on.  But they can fire up the sqlite shell tool and learn everything they need to about SQL, drawing less power than it takes to run Excel.  And they do.

So what do you think we'd see if we compared the number of real users of SQLite versus other database systems ?  You'd prefer to count installations rather than users ?  I can't even count the copies of SQLite running just on the gadgets in my home.  The laptop I'm typing this on has at least four.

Re: Whish List for 2015

Edward Lau
Hi SQLite team:

I cast my vote for some analytic functions too.

Re: Whish List for 2015

Philip Warner

Native UNICODE?

Dates? UUID (stored as bytes, displayed as string)? I know...new data type
representations are unlikely.

Triggers with declared variables that are preserved across invocations?
(...using temp tables is a pita for storing, say, 5 numbers)

Re: Whish List for 2015

Gabor Grothendieck
On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 4:47 AM, big stone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To prepare for  end of 2014 greetings moment, here is my whish list for
> 2015:
> - a minimal subset of analytic functions [1], that I hope may help
> end-user/students popularity [2]
> - better information on what is coming ahead, for example:
>    . I see the 'sessions' tree moving along main tree since a few months,
> what is it about ?
>    . sqlite4 is dead because sqlite3 did progress quicker than expected ?
>    . ....
>
> [1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/tutorial-window.html
>
> [2] http://db-engines.com/en/ranking_trend

In R the sqldf R package allows one to perform SQL operations on R
data.frames by transparently uploading them to an SQL database which
it creates on the fly performing the specified SQL operation,
reeturning the result and destorying the database it created.  it uses
SQLite by default but can also use H2, MySQL and PostgreSQL.

Its my sense that users of sqldf use SQLite because its the default
and is automatically installed when they install sqldf but if they
move to one of the other databases the first choice is typically H2
because they want true date and time types which H2 supports and
sqlite does not.  Also, H2 is almost as easy to install as SQLite -
the R drivers for both packages include the entire database and the
only extra thing you need for H2 is java which many people have
already anyways.    Thus if SQLite had true date and time types I
think this would address a significant portion of those sqldf users
who find SQLite is not enough for their needs.

If they don't go to H2 then they will likely go to PostgreSQL to get
window/analytic functions and the main thing that would put them off
here is that its not as easy to install PostgreSQL as SQLite or H2.
Thus if SQLite were to support window/analytic functions it would
address the main other group of those who switch from SQLite when
using sqldf.

Re: Whish List for 2015

Tony Papadimitriou
OK, if everyone if putting down their wish list for 2015, here's mine:

Using the SQLite shell is very convenient for quick retrieval or
modification of data any SQLite database but there are two significant
problems (in my view) that make this of very limited utility, and  this
proposed feature would solve (to a 'lite' extent):

Problem 1: Currently, any scripts have to be stored outside the database in
separate files meaning there one-file-holds-everything deal is lost (and
organizing these according to the database they refer also becomes a bit of
an issue), and

Problem 2: Dynamically passing parameters to those scripts is not very easy
without using some kind of external scripting (like Lua, Python, etc.) which
is not likely to exist on someone else's computer, so transferring just the
database file is not enough, as the recipient also need to install other
components besides SQLite3.

Proposal:

Minimal stored procedure functionality -- or, maybe call it stored query or
stored script since I would not expect any new programming constructs like
IF ... THEN ... ELSE
All that is needed is a way to put one or more SQL sentences in a single
file (stored inside the database file in some system table) and call them as
a single statement with optional parameters (e.g., call from shell with
something like @procedure_name parm1, parm2, parm3) where parameters are
simple positional text replacement -- like a simple text replacement macro
processor would do.

Example:

CREATE PROC sample AS (
SELECT table1.* FROM table1,...,tableN
  WHERE ... possibly complicated join ...
      AND last_name like :1
  ORDER BY :2;
);

@sample 'Smith%',tax_id

would become:

SELECT table1.* FROM table1,...,tableN
  WHERE ... possibly complicated join ...
      AND last_name like 'Smith%'
  ORDER BY last_name,tax_id;

(If you don't like CREATE PROC, make it CREATE SCRIPT or something else,
although I think PROC is good enough as it allows for possible future
expansion with more capabilities -- wish lists for 2016 and beyond.)

Re: Whish List for 2015

Nelson, Erik - 2
Tony Papadimitriou Sent on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:26 AM

>Problem 1: Currently, any scripts have to be stored outside the database
> in separate files meaning there one-file-holds-everything deal is lost
> (and organizing these according to the database they refer also becomes
> a bit of an issue), and

> Problem 2: Dynamically passing parameters to those scripts is not very
> easy without using some kind of external scripting (like Lua, Python,
> etc.) which is not likely to exist on someone else's computer, so
> transferring just the database file is not enough, as the recipient
> also need to install other components besides SQLite3.

FWIW, we just compile the lua interpreter together with sqlite3.

Installing the resulting binary should take care of both of your requirements.

Erik

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer.   If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: Whish List for 2015

Tony Papadimitriou
Can you explain a bit more?

* Who is 'we'?  Is this an open source project somewhere?
* How is the combined Lua & SQLite3 executable created?  Do you have some
makefile (for Windows and Linux) or some instructions for manual
compilation?

Thanks.

Tony Papadimitriou Sent on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:26 AM

>Problem 1: Currently, any scripts have to be stored outside the database
> in separate files meaning there one-file-holds-everything deal is lost
> (and organizing these according to the database they refer also becomes
> a bit of an issue), and

> Problem 2: Dynamically passing parameters to those scripts is not very
> easy without using some kind of external scripting (like Lua, Python,
> etc.) which is not likely to exist on someone else's computer, so
> transferring just the database file is not enough, as the recipient
> also need to install other components besides SQLite3.

FWIW, we just compile the lua interpreter together with sqlite3.

Installing the resulting binary should take care of both of your
requirements.

Erik

Re: Whish List for 2015

Nelson, Erik - 2
Tony Papadimitriou wrote on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:48 AM

> Can you explain a bit more?
>
> * Who is 'we'?  Is this an open source project somewhere?
> * How is the combined Lua & SQLite3 executable created?  Do you have
> some makefile (for Windows and Linux) or some instructions for manual
> compilation?

'We' is my dev team.  There's no open source project, it's just a part of our internal application.

I don't have a makefile or instructions- it may not be a good fit for your situation.

Erik

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer.   If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: Whish List for 2015

Nico Williams
My wishlist:

 - what I think is the sessions branch (I haven't looked in a while though)

 - an opaque C type to allow for other internal representations of
SQLite3 types so that user-defined virtual tables and functions can
exchange internal representations of JSON, XML, and so on, delaying
coercion to SQLite3 types as much as possible to avoid unnecessary
parsing and encoding.

The latter I have in mind for a plugin that uses jq
(https://stedolan.github.io/jq) to give SQLite3 even more power than
Postgres 9.4 has for handling JSON, and better than the Postgres
hstore.  I'd put such a thing in the public domain (jq isn't, but it's
BSD-style licensed).

Nico

Re: Whish List for 2015

> On 23 Dec 2014, at 3:26pm, Tony Papadimitriou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> CREATE PROC sample AS (
> SELECT table1.* FROM table1,...,tableN
> WHERE ... possibly complicated join ...
>     AND last_name like :1
> ORDER BY :2;
> );
>
> @sample 'Smith%',tax_id
>
> would become:
>
> SELECT table1.* FROM table1,...,tableN
> WHERE ... possibly complicated join ...
>     AND last_name like 'Smith%'
> ORDER BY last_name,tax_id;
>
> (If you don't like CREATE PROC, make it CREATE SCRIPT or something else, although I think PROC is good enough as it allows for possible future expansion with more capabilities -- wish lists for 2016 and beyond.)

Instead of creating a new structure, have procedures stored in a table and use an EXECUTE command with the same syntax as a SELECT to execute them:

EXECUTE command FROM script1 ORDER BY rowid;

or

EXECUTE command FROM scripttable WHERE script='monthlymaintenance' ORDER BY rowid;

That was you can have your own code create and maintain scripts inside a database.  The rules would require the entire script to be retrieved before the first line of the script is run to avoid problems with scripts which modify themselves.  Not sure how parameters should be handled.

The other way would, as someone else commented, be to incorporate stored Lua procedures.  Lua would be an excellent language to use for this.

Re: Whish List for 2015

Nico Williams
On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 05:26:00PM +0200, Tony Papadimitriou wrote:
> Proposal:
>
> Minimal stored procedure functionality -- or, maybe call it stored

It's already there.  It's called TRIGGER.

I use triggers to hold "stored procedures", and WHERE conditions on DMLs
in the trigger body as IF..THEN..ELSEs.

CREATE VIEW foo AS
SELECT null AS arg0, null AS arg1, .., null as argN LIMIT 0;
CREATE TRIGGER foo_ins INSTEAD OF INSERT ON foo
FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
    -- INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE/SELECT RAISE(...) statements here
    INSERT INTO .. SELECT .. WHERE <condition0>;
    INSERT INTO .. SELECT .. WHERE <condition1>;
    ..
    INSERT INTO .. SELECT .. WHERE <conditionN>;
END;

Invoking a stored procedure requires an INSERT INTO <view-name> .., with
the columns of the inserted row(s) being the arguments.  You can't
SELECT from a stored procedure, but it can store results in a TEMP TABLE
you can SELECT from.

Need looping?  Use recursive queries and/or recursive triggers.

Need local variables?  Use TEMP TABLEs (which you have to clean up), or
pass them as arguments to yet more stored procedures (recursive
triggers).

There's no need for a trigger rollback journal (I think!) for an insert
into a VIEW with an INSTEAD OF trigger, so it's not too bad.

There's no syntactic sugar for this.  It could be added; not much
machinery would be needed beyond the sugar, just some naming conventions
for the views and triggers.

I also use virtual tables as table-valued user-defined functions.  A bit
of syntactic sugar for that too would be nice.

> CREATE PROC sample AS (
> SELECT table1.* FROM table1,...,tableN
>  WHERE ... possibly complicated join ...
>      AND last_name like :1
>  ORDER BY :2;
> );
>
> @sample 'Smith%',tax_id
>
> would become:
>
> SELECT table1.* FROM table1,...,tableN
>  WHERE ... possibly complicated join ...
>      AND last_name like 'Smith%'
>  ORDER BY last_name,tax_id;

Yes, this would be nice: UDFs written in SQL.

Nico

Re: Whish List for 2015

Gerry Snyder-4
The only thing on my SQLite wish list is for the development team to
have a meaningful holiday season and a happy, healthy, and productive
new year. The details of the "productive" part I leave in their capable
hands.

What has been added each year has far surpassed my expectations, and I
have no worries about that trend continuing.

Gerry Snyder

Re: Whish List for 2015

jose isaias cabrera

My wish for the team is to enjoy the holidays, and may the Peace reign in
your homes forever.  Thanks for this wonderful tool and may this new 2015
year be one very prosperous!  As we say in the Spanish community: Feliz
Navidad y un prospero año nuevo!  Gracias.

josé