Why is Sqlite mediatype not registered at iana

Why is Sqlite mediatype not registered at iana

Paul Van Genuchten
Hi list, in geopackage (a spatial extension to sqlite) issues we had this discussion https://github.com/opengeospatial/geopackage/issues/381

I wonder what is your view on this

Why does sqlite not have an official mediatype, eg. Application/vnd.sqlite, and why is it not registered at iana (See above issue for use cases)

Groet Paul van Genuchten

Re: Why is Sqlite mediatype not registered at iana

Clemens Ladisch
Paul Van Genuchten wrote:
> Why does sqlite not have an official mediatype, eg. Application/vnd.sqlite,
> and why is it not registered at iana

Because nobody has bothered to register it.  Are you volunteering?

Please note that SQLite is often used as a platform, i.e., knowing that
the content is an SQLite database file allows generic processing of the
underlying SQL representation, but would not allow knowing the semantics
of the protocol payload.  In other words, it would make more sense to
register a structured syntax suffix (RFC 6839).

Regards,
Clemens

Re: Why is Sqlite mediatype not registered at iana

BRUCE KAPITO
please take me of your list anything about me wishing to be a member is fraudulent

On Friday, August 25, 2017, 4:52:32 AM EDT, Clemens Ladisch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Paul Van Genuchten wrote:
> Why does sqlite not have an official mediatype, eg. Application/vnd.sqlite,
> and why is it not registered at iana

Because nobody has bothered to register it.  Are you volunteering?

Please note that SQLite is often used as a platform, i.e., knowing that
the content is an SQLite database file allows generic processing of the
underlying SQL representation, but would not allow knowing the semantics
of the protocol payload.  In other words, it would make more sense to
register a structured syntax suffix (RFC 6839).

Regards,
Clemens

Re: Why is Sqlite mediatype not registered at iana

R Smith
On 2017/08/25 4:57 PM, BRUCE KAPITO wrote:
> please take me of your list anything about me wishing to be a member is fraudulent

Did someone subscribe poor Bruce as a prank?

I find it hard to fathom a less awful prank than a subscription to this
list...

Either way, Bruce, there is a link at the bottom of every mail/digest
which you can click to go to the mailing list and unsubscribe from there.
I'll repeat it here:

On that page, click the "Unsubscribe or edit options" button near the bottom and specify the mail address and password that's been receiving the mails and which you wish to be removed from the subscription - or if you don't have the password, get a password reminder which will go to the same mail and can be used to log in and unsubscribe.

Va bene
Ryan