Why some options (ex. SQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS, SQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB) are permanently enabled in Makefile.am, but are documented as user-defined?

Why some options (ex. SQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS, SQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB) are permanently enabled in Makefile.am, but are documented as user-defined?

Yuri
Makefile.am has:
AM_CFLAGS = @THREADSAFE_FLAGS@ @DYNAMIC_EXTENSION_FLAGS@ @FTS5_FLAGS@ @JSON1_FLAGS@ @ZLIB_FLAGS@ @SESSION_FLAGS@ -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE
sqlite3_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS) -DSQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB -DSQLITE_ENABLE_STMTVTAB -DSQLITE_ENABLE_DBSTAT_VTAB

But all of these options (with -D) are documented here http://www.sqlite.org/compile.html as user-settable.

Yuri

Re: Why some options (ex. SQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS, SQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB) are permanently enabled in Makefile.am, but are documented as user-defined?

Graham Holden
Presumably the ".am" of "Makefile.am" refers to the single-file amalgamation. However, some of the compile-time options can only be set when building from the cannonical sources or generating the amalgamation... once the amalgamation has been generated, those options are "baked in".
Graham.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 - powered by Three
-------- Original message --------From: Yuri <[hidden email]> Date: 13/03/2018  07:07  (GMT+00:00) To: General Discussion of SQLite Database <[hidden email]> Subject: [sqlite] Why some options (ex. SQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS,
  SQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB) are permanently enabled in Makefile.am,
  but are documented as user-defined?
Makefile.am has:
AM_CFLAGS = @THREADSAFE_FLAGS@ @DYNAMIC_EXTENSION_FLAGS@ @FTS5_FLAGS@ @JSON1_FLAGS@ @ZLIB_FLAGS@ @SESSION_FLAGS@ -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE
sqlite3_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS) -DSQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB -DSQLITE_ENABLE_STMTVTAB -DSQLITE_ENABLE_DBSTAT_VTAB

But all of these options (with -D) are documented here http://www.sqlite.org/compile.html as user-settable.

Yuri

Re: Why some options (ex. SQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS, SQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB) are permanently enabled in Makefile.am, but are documented as user-defined?

Clemens Ladisch
Yuri wrote:
> Makefile.am has:
> AM_CFLAGS = @THREADSAFE_FLAGS@ @DYNAMIC_EXTENSION_FLAGS@ @FTS5_FLAGS@ @JSON1_FLAGS@ @ZLIB_FLAGS@ @SESSION_FLAGS@ -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE
> sqlite3_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS) -DSQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB -DSQLITE_ENABLE_STMTVTAB -DSQLITE_ENABLE_DBSTAT_VTAB
>
> But all of these options (with -D) are documented here http://www.sqlite.org/compile.html as user-settable.

These options are used to compile the command-line shell (where you want
to have as many (debugging) features as possible), and to assemble the
amalgamation.

You might need to edit this makefile to set some SQLITE_OMIT_ options,
but in the general case, you can simply use your own options when you
compile sqlite3.c yourself.

Regards,
Clemens

On 03/13/18 02:05, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> These options are used to compile the command-line shell (where you want
> to have as many (debugging) features as possible), and to assemble the
> amalgamation.

Having two sets of build options is quite confusing.

Yuri

Re: Why some options (ex. SQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS, SQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB) are permanently enabled in Makefile.am, but are documented as user-defined?

Eduardo
On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 00:07:41 -0700
Yuri <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Makefile.am has:
> AM_CFLAGS = @THREADSAFE_FLAGS@ @DYNAMIC_EXTENSION_FLAGS@ @FTS5_FLAGS@ @JSON1_FLAGS@ @ZLIB_FLAGS@ @SESSION_FLAGS@ -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE
> sqlite3_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS) -DSQLITE_ENABLE_EXPLAIN_COMMENTS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_DBPAGE_VTAB -DSQLITE_ENABLE_STMTVTAB -DSQLITE_ENABLE_DBSTAT_VTAB
>
> But all of these options (with -D) are documented here http://www.sqlite.org/compile.html as user-settable.

Yes, they are user-settable, by default they are set ON in amalgamation. Perhaps adding "user-settable and user-unsettable" may help?

--
Eduardo <[hidden email]>