You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?

You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?

Pavel Volkov
Hello developers.
You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-2).
sha256 used as default algorithm in the FreeBSD ports tree.
It is would be convenient. Please.
__
With regards, Pavel.

Re: You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?

Simon Slavin-3

On 2 Apr 2016, at 11:35am, Pavel Volkov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?

SHA1 is so easy to crack now it might make sense to replace the SHA1 checksums with SHA256.  Does anyone have a good reason why SHA1 is still needed ?

Re: You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?

Stephan Beal-3
On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2016, at 11:35am, Pavel Volkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?
>
> SHA1 is so easy to crack now it might make sense to replace the SHA1
> checksums with SHA256.  Does anyone have a good reason why SHA1 is still
> needed ?

FWIW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-2

"Although (as of 2015) no example of a SHA-1 collision has been published
yet..."

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

Re: You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?

Luuk

On 02-04-16 19:13, Simon Slavin wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2016, at 11:35am, Pavel Volkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?
> SHA1 is so easy to crack now it might make sense to replace the SHA1 checksums with SHA256.  Does anyone have a good reason why SHA1 is still needed ?

I do not think the SHA1 codes are there to 'crack' something...

Re: You may add sha256 checksum for files in the download page?

Pavel Volkov
Hello.
I ask for easy check checksum. Not because of the hacking.
Thank you.