beginners question

Klaus Maas
Same issues on Xubuntu 16.04 and 18.04

US international keyboard layout

Actually 2 questions:

1) The precompiled binary for Linux of sqlite3  does not run, but
sqldiff and sqlite3_analyzer do.
./sqlite3: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open
What steps can I take to provide the missing library?

2) When following the compile instructions on the website I get an
executable sqlite3, however:

Letters, numbers work fine.

When pressing arrow keys, pgup, pgdwn there key scan codes appear in the
terminal.

^[[A^[[B for up-arrow and down-arrow.

How do I fix that?

Klaus

email signature Klaus Maas

Re: beginners question

Richard Hipp-3
On 8/30/18, Klaus Maas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same issues on Xubuntu 16.04 and 18.04
>
> US international keyboard layout
>
> Actually 2 questions:
>
> 1) The precompiled binary for Linux of sqlite3  does not run, but
> sqldiff and sqlite3_analyzer do.
> ./sqlite3: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open
> What steps can I take to provide the missing library?

You have a desktop linux machine on which libz is not installed?  I
didn't even know that was possible.

What flavor of linux are you running?

> 2) When following the compile instructions on the website I get an
> executable sqlite3, however:
>
> Letters, numbers work fine.
>
> When pressing arrow keys, pgup, pgdwn there key scan codes appear in the
> terminal.
>
> ^[[A^[[B for up-arrow and down-arrow.
>
> How do I fix that?

Run configure using either --enable-readline or --enable-editline,
depending on which library you have installed.  Or if you are
compiling manually, add -DHAVE_READLINE or -DHAVE_EDITLINE to the
compiler command-line, and then add the appropriate libraries to the
end.

But if you don't have libz on your system, probably you don't have
readline or editline either.

Again, what Linux distro is this?

Re: beginners question

Jürgen Palm

Richard Hipp wrote:

> On 8/30/18, Klaus Maas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Same issues on Xubuntu 16.04 and 18.04
>>
>> US international keyboard layout
>>
>> Actually 2 questions:
>>
>> 1) The precompiled binary for Linux of sqlite3  does not run, but
>> sqldiff and sqlite3_analyzer do.
>> ./sqlite3: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>> What steps can I take to provide the missing library?
> You have a desktop linux machine on which libz is not installed?  I
> didn't even know that was possible.
>
> What flavor of linux are you running?

He mentioned it in the first sentence: Xubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. Of
course, libz.so.1 is installed. I've currently running a virtual machine
with Xubuntu 18.04 and tried also to execute the precompiled binary and
it didn't work, but I didn't actually expect it as I'm running a 64bit
system. Most likely the problem from Klaus is caused by the same reason.

Re: beginners question

Richard Hipp-3
On 8/30/18, Jürgen Palm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard Hipp wrote:
>> On 8/30/18, Klaus Maas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Same issues on Xubuntu 16.04 and 18.04
>>>
>>> US international keyboard layout
>>>
>>> Actually 2 questions:
>>>
>>> 1) The precompiled binary for Linux of sqlite3  does not run, but
>>> sqldiff and sqlite3_analyzer do.
>>> ./sqlite3: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open
>>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>>> What steps can I take to provide the missing library?
>> You have a desktop linux machine on which libz is not installed?  I
>> didn't even know that was possible.
>>
>> What flavor of linux are you running?
>>

> He mentioned it in the first sentence: Xubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. Of
> course, libz.so.1 is installed. I've currently running a virtual machine
> with Xubuntu 18.04 and tried also to execute the precompiled binary and
> it didn't work, but I didn't actually expect it as I'm running a 64bit
> system. Most likely the problem from Klaus is caused by the same reason.

So, perhaps the solution is for Klaus to compile it himself from sources?

Re: beginners question

Jürgen Palm
Richard Hipp wrote:

> On 8/30/18, Jürgen Palm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Richard Hipp wrote:

>>> You have a desktop linux machine on which libz is not installed?  I
>>> didn't even know that was possible.
>>>
>>> What flavor of linux are you running?
>>>

>> He mentioned it in the first sentence: Xubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. Of
>> course, libz.so.1 is installed. I've currently running a virtual machine
>> with Xubuntu 18.04 and tried also to execute the precompiled binary and
>> it didn't work, but I didn't actually expect it as I'm running a 64bit
>> system. Most likely the problem from Klaus is caused by the same reason.
> So, perhaps the solution is for Klaus to compile it himself from sources?

If he is indeed running a 64bit system he could also just install the
package zlib1g:i386, which contains the 32bit version of libz.so.1. With
this package installed, the precompiled sqlite binary is running
properly on my 64bit system.

Re: beginners question

Jens Alfke-2

> On Aug 30, 2018, at 12:10 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, perhaps the solution is for Klaus to compile it himself from sources?

What about `sudo apt-get install sqlite3` ?

—Jens

Re: beginners question

Jürgen Palm

Jens Alfke wrote:

>> On Aug 30, 2018, at 12:10 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So, perhaps the solution is for Klaus to compile it himself from sources?
> What about `sudo apt-get install sqlite3` ?
>
> —Jens

Re: beginners question

Klaus Maas
email signature Klaus Maas
On 2018-08-30 21:39, Jürgen Palm wrote:

> Richard Hipp wrote:

>>> He mentioned it in the first sentence: Xubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. Of
>>> course, libz.so.1 is installed. I've currently running a virtual
>>> machine
>>> with Xubuntu 18.04 and tried also to execute the precompiled binary and
>>> it didn't work, but I didn't actually expect it as I'm running a 64bit
>>> system. Most likely the problem from Klaus is caused by the same
>>> reason.
>> So, perhaps the solution is for Klaus to compile it himself from
>> sources?
>>
> If he is indeed running a 64bit system he could also just install the
> package zlib1g:i386, which contains the 32bit version of libz.so.1.
> With this package installed, the precompiled sqlite binary is running
> properly on my 64bit system.
Dear Jürgen, I am running 64-bit versions of Xubuntu as you assumed
correctly.
Thank you for the tip - and for providing the lib name explicitly.
"sudo apt install zlib1g:i386" did the trick.
The precompiled Linux sqlite version 3.24.0 starts as expected and the
keyboard codes of the navigation keys are interpreted correctly.
Tried it on Xubuntu 16.04 so far only - still my main system.
What puzzled me at first was that neither apt policy nor apt search
would show me the lib, even when requesting it litterally.
Then I remembered that on a 64-bit OS the 32-bit libraries are filtered
out by default.
Now that the 32bit lib is installed apt policy will show its status.
Thank you all for helping me so swiftly.
Klaus