best language match for SQLite?

SleeplessDad
I am a beginner to intermediate Python Programmer. I can use SQLite with
it just fine but it is my understanding that relational database and
object oriented programming our not the perfect marriage.

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the most ideal language
to use with SQLite?

I love Python but I LOVE SQLite, I would learn another language just to
use it better-Patrick

Re: best language match for SQLite?

jgodfrey
Patrick wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the most ideal language
> to use with SQLite?
>
> I love Python but I LOVE SQLite, I would learn another language just to
> use it better-Patrick

According to a paper written by Richard Hipp (the creator of SQLite),
Tcl is the ideal language.  Here's a quote from the mentioned paper:

"The increasing popularity of SQLite is seen in the fact that the main
website daily serves about a gigabyte of data to around 3000 unique IP
addresses. SQLite has been eagerly embraced by PHP, Perl, and Python
programmers. What most of these enthusiastic users fail to realize is
that SQLite bindings for the three P-languages are an afterthought.
SQLite was designed from the beginning to be used with Tcl. Tcl bindings
have been in the SQLite core since before version 1.0 and almost half of
the SQLite source code base consists of regression test scripts written
in Tcl. SQLite wants to be programmed in Tcl, not those other languages."

The entire paper can be found here:

http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2004/Papers/D.RichardHipp/drh.html

Jeff

Re: best language match for SQLite?

Mohit Sindhwani-5
Jeff Godfrey wrote:

> According to a paper written by Richard Hipp (the creator of SQLite),
> Tcl is the ideal language.  Here's a quote from the mentioned paper:
>
> "The increasing popularity of SQLite is seen in the fact that the main
> website daily serves about a gigabyte of data to around 3000 unique IP
> addresses. SQLite has been eagerly embraced by PHP, Perl, and Python
> programmers. What most of these enthusiastic users fail to realize is
> that SQLite bindings for the three P-languages are an afterthought.
> SQLite was designed from the beginning to be used with Tcl. Tcl bindings
> have been in the SQLite core since before version 1.0 and almost half of
> the SQLite source code base consists of regression test scripts written
> in Tcl. SQLite wants to be programmed in Tcl, not those other languages."
>
> The entire paper can be found here:
>
> http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2004/Papers/D.RichardHipp/drh.html

While that's true, Ruby works really well with SQLite!

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/17/2008 | 12:11 AM.

Re: best language match for SQLite?

Martín Vales
Mohit Sindhwani escribió:

> Jeff Godfrey wrote:
>
>> According to a paper written by Richard Hipp (the creator of SQLite),
>> Tcl is the ideal language.  Here's a quote from the mentioned paper:
>>
>> "The increasing popularity of SQLite is seen in the fact that the main
>> website daily serves about a gigabyte of data to around 3000 unique IP
>> addresses. SQLite has been eagerly embraced by PHP, Perl, and Python
>> programmers. What most of these enthusiastic users fail to realize is
>> that SQLite bindings for the three P-languages are an afterthought.
>> SQLite was designed from the beginning to be used with Tcl. Tcl bindings
>> have been in the SQLite core since before version 1.0 and almost half of
>> the SQLite source code base consists of regression test scripts written
>> in Tcl. SQLite wants to be programmed in Tcl, not those other languages."
>>
>> The entire paper can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2004/Papers/D.RichardHipp/drh.html
>>

> While that's true, Ruby works really well with SQLite!

Ruby rocks. C# rocks. D rocks. I used ruby in a project and i am very
happy. /gem install sqlite3/-ruby ...
This 3 languages are completed from the begining and with different uses.

For me the universe must be in C and autocreate bindings to other
languages is direct if the C APi is well designed.
http://live.gnome.org/Vala
http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection
If you design a masterful API in C, you can access to all languages like
JAVA, c#, ruby, python, PERL,D, C++, ...
This is the perfect sample of this API:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.18/
This is the perfect sample of a full Object oriented API in C with Gobject:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/

I doubt SQLite was more apropiate to use in TCL. I see the C API of
SQlite very clean and easy to hack in other languages.

In my opinion TCL.like perl,  is death and sucks in my opinion.
Ofusctated life...

PD: I was PERL user in the past and i change it for ruby.

Regards

> Cheers,
> Mohit.
> 9/17/2008 | 12:11 AM.

Re: best language match for SQLite?

Ribeiro, Glauber
SQLite is written in C, and its creators seem to be fond of TCL, so
those are 2 good choices, but I don't think there is a most ideal
language for anything - it all depends on balancing what you need to do
and what you want to learn.

And of course, Perl is always best. :)

Re: best language match for SQLite?

pablopico

"And of course, Perl is always best. :)"

That's  right brother!
Educate them , Educate them i say!

P.

> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:13:27 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] best language match for SQLite?
>
> SQLite is written in C, and its creators seem to be fond of TCL, so
> those are 2 good choices, but I don't think there is a most ideal
> language for anything - it all depends on balancing what you need to do
> and what you want to learn.
>
> And of course, Perl is always best. :)

RB Smissaert
> "And of course, Perl is always best. :)"

Of course; but VB (VB6) is just a bit better.

RBS

> "And of course, Perl is always best. :)"
>
> That's  right brother!
> Educate them , Educate them i say!
>
> P.
>
>> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:13:27 -0500
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [sqlite] best language match for SQLite?
>>
>> SQLite is written in C, and its creators seem to be fond of TCL, so
>> those are 2 good choices, but I don't think there is a most ideal
>> language for anything - it all depends on balancing what you need to do
>> and what you want to learn.
>>
>> And of course, Perl is always best. :)

YES brothers, Educate them, Educate them ....

For you see those 2 are actually my two main programming platforms!

Disciples go forth to educate the peoples!

P.

> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:20:55 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] best language match for SQLite?
>
> > "And of course, Perl is always best. :)"
>
> Of course; but VB (VB6) is just a bit better.
>
> RBS
>

> > "And of course, Perl is always best. :)"
> >
> > That's  right brother!
> > Educate them , Educate them i say!
> >
> > P.
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:13:27 -0500
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: Re: [sqlite] best language match for SQLite?
> >>
> >> SQLite is written in C, and its creators seem to be fond of TCL, so
> >> those are 2 good choices, but I don't think there is a most ideal
> >> language for anything - it all depends on balancing what you need to do
> >> and what you want to learn.
> >>
> >> And of course, Perl is always best. :)

Enrique Ramirez-4
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "And of course, Perl is always best. :)"
>
> Of course; but VB (VB6) is just a bit better.
>
> RBS

Almost fell out of my chair laughing.

But in all seriousness, if you're into ADO.Net, the System.Data.SQLite
wrapper by Robert Simpson will make you feel right at home.

--
// --------------------------------------
Enrique Ramirez Irizarry

Re: best language match for SQLite?

Michael Schlenker-4
Patrick schrieb:
> I am a beginner to intermediate Python Programmer. I can use SQLite with
> it just fine but it is my understanding that relational database and
> object oriented programming our not the perfect marriage.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the most ideal language
> to use with SQLite?
>
> I love Python but I LOVE SQLite, I would learn another language just to
> use it better-Patrick

Depends really on what you wanna do with it. The best language to use with
SQLite is of course SQL ;-).

Otherwise it does not really matter. Your right that there is a mismatch
between the set oriented operations of relational databases and the more
item oriented OO world, thats why there are all those ORMs like SQLalchemy,
Storm etc. which bridge the gap.

But Tcl isn't a bad recommendation anyway. Might feel a bit foreign for your
Python tuned mind, but it has a really, good SQLite interface. Bonus: you
can help improve the SQLite testsuite easier if you understand Tcl.

Michael

Re: best language match for SQLite?

Fred Williams
I haven't met a real programmer since I wrote my last TASM program quite a
few years ago. :-(

On Sep 16, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Jeff Godfrey wrote:

> Patrick wrote:
>> I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the most ideal
>> language
>> to use with SQLite?
>>
>> I love Python but I LOVE SQLite, I would learn another language
>> just to
>> use it better-Patrick
>>
> According to a paper written by Richard Hipp (the creator of SQLite),
> Tcl is the ideal language.  Here's a quote from the mentioned paper:
>
> "The increasing popularity of SQLite is seen in the fact that the main
> website daily serves about a gigabyte of data to around 3000 unique IP
> addresses. SQLite has been eagerly embraced by PHP, Perl, and Python
> programmers. What most of these enthusiastic users fail to realize is
> that SQLite bindings for the three P-languages are an afterthought.
> SQLite was designed from the beginning to be used with Tcl. Tcl
> bindings
> have been in the SQLite core since before version 1.0 and almost
> half of
> the SQLite source code base consists of regression test scripts
> written
> in Tcl. SQLite wants to be programmed in Tcl, not those other
> languages."

SQLite is a TCL extension that has escaped into the wild.  SQLite was
originally written to support a large program written in Tcl/Tk.
SQLite would have never existed where it not for TCL.  SQLite could
not maintain its current quality without the extensive TCL-based test
suite.  The language bindings for TCL are the most natural and easy-to-
use of any language I have seen.

The statistics in the quote above are dated.  Recently we have been
getting about 11,000 unique IPs per day at the website and the amount
of TCL code in the source tree (all of the regression tests) is
approaching 75%.

Re: best language match for SQLite?

Puneet Kishor-2
On 9/16/08, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am a beginner to intermediate Python Programmer. I can use SQLite with
>  it just fine but it is my understanding that relational database and
>  object oriented programming our not the perfect marriage.
>
>  I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the most ideal language
>  to use with SQLite?
>
>  I love Python but I LOVE SQLite, I would learn another language just to
>  use it better-Patrick

Re: best language match for SQLite?

Jim Dodgen
I get a lot of miles out of Perl, 116,000 lines and counting.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Fred Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't met a real programmer since I wrote my last TASM program quite a
> few years ago. :-(

Jim Dodgen

Re: best language match for SQLite?

Clay Dowling
For myself, I find C and C++ to be the best for use with SQLite (and the
STL makes the set oriented nature of relational databases fit reasonably
well).  Mostly though that's because those are the languages I prefer to
work in, rather than in inherent quality of the bindings.  Like the man
says, it's a TCL extension that escaped quarantine.

Clay

On 9/16/08, Martin (OPENGeoMap) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mohit Sindhwani escribió:
>
> > Jeff Godfrey wrote:
>  >
>  >> According to a paper written by Richard Hipp (the creator of SQLite),
>  >> Tcl is the ideal language.  Here's a quote from the mentioned paper:
>  >>
>  >> "The increasing popularity of SQLite is seen in the fact that the main
>  >> website daily serves about a gigabyte of data to around 3000 unique IP
>  >> addresses. SQLite has been eagerly embraced by PHP, Perl, and Python
>  >> programmers. What most of these enthusiastic users fail to realize is
>  >> that SQLite bindings for the three P-languages are an afterthought.
>  >> SQLite was designed from the beginning to be used with Tcl. Tcl bindings
>  >> have been in the SQLite core since before version 1.0 and almost half of
>  >> the SQLite source code base consists of regression test scripts written
>  >> in Tcl. SQLite wants to be programmed in Tcl, not those other languages."
>  >>
>  >> The entire paper can be found here:
>  >>
>  >> http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2004/Papers/D.RichardHipp/drh.html
>  >>
>  >
>  > While that's true, Ruby works really well with SQLite!
>  >
>
> Ruby rocks. C# rocks. D rocks. I used ruby in a project and i am very
>  happy. /gem install sqlite3/-ruby ...
>  This 3 languages are completed from the begining and with different uses.
>
>  For me the universe must be in C and autocreate bindings to other
>  languages is direct if the C APi is well designed.
>  http://live.gnome.org/Vala
>  http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection
>  If you design a masterful API in C, you can access to all languages like
>  JAVA, c#, ruby, python, PERL,D, C++, ...
>  This is the perfect sample of this API:
>  http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.18/
>  This is the perfect sample of a full Object oriented API in C with Gobject:
>  http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/
>
>  I doubt SQLite was more apropiate to use in TCL. I see the C API of
>  SQlite very clean and easy to hack in other languages.
>
>  In my opinion TCL.like perl,  is death and sucks in my opinion.
>  Ofusctated life...
>
>  PD: I was PERL user in the past and i change it for ruby.

ai, ai, ai... words such as "death" and "sucks" in one sentence...
fortunately, they are "in your opinion."

Fortunately, I won't have to change to Ruby as I am quite happy and
comfortable with the language of my choice (which happens to start
with P).

I reiterate -- the best programming language is the one you are best at.

>  Regards
>
> > Cheers,
>  > Mohit.
>  > 9/17/2008 | 12:11 AM.
>  >
>  > sqlite-users mailing list
>  > [hidden email]
>  > http://sqlite.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
>  >
>  >
>  >

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/

relational/OO (was Re: best language match for SQLite?)

Darren Duncan
Michael Schlenker wrote:
> Patrick schrieb:
>> I am a beginner to intermediate Python Programmer. I can use SQLite with
>> it just fine but it is my understanding that relational database and
>> object oriented programming our not the perfect marriage.
>
> Otherwise it does not really matter. Your right that there is a mismatch
> between the set oriented operations of relational databases and the more
> item oriented OO world, thats why there are all those ORMs like SQLalchemy,
> Storm etc. which bridge the gap.

Generally speaking there is no impedance mismatch between relational
databases and the OO world.

Both natively provide relation and tuple data types and relational
operators, and sets and arrays etc, and booleans, numbers, text and binary
strings etc.  Both natively support the creation of arbitrarily complex
user-defined data types and operators.  Both natively support automatic
persistence of any of the above, and atomicity, and transactions.  Both
support definition and enforcement of arbitrary type, state, and transition
constraints, and triggers.  Both support multiple views of the same data,
sometimes updateable.  Both support invoking the compiler at runtime.  Both
support type graphs and polymorphism, substitutability, inheritence.

How they differ are in relatively minor ways, such as in OO you have the
concept of a value that is a pointer to a memory address or implementation
detail, while in a relational database you don't and there is a clear
distinction between a value and a variable, and those are referred to
symbolically.

The reason that ORMs exist is to either compensate for relatively minor
differences, or to provide a wider variety of APIs for a database than the
database is providing itself, or compensate in the application-space for a
database implementation that lacks some of the relational database features.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: best language match for SQLite?

John Stanton-3
My advice was not to have the tail wag the dog.  Choose you language as
appropriate for the application.  Sqlite fits everywhere.  For example
if it is an embedded system use C.  If it it something else a script
system like Perl of whatever would be appropriate.

If you want an ideally integrated platform use TCL.

Martin (OPENGeoMap) wrote:

> Mohit Sindhwani escribió:
>> Jeff Godfrey wrote:
>>
>>> According to a paper written by Richard Hipp (the creator of SQLite),
>>> Tcl is the ideal language.  Here's a quote from the mentioned paper:
>>>
>>> "The increasing popularity of SQLite is seen in the fact that the main
>>> website daily serves about a gigabyte of data to around 3000 unique IP
>>> addresses. SQLite has been eagerly embraced by PHP, Perl, and Python
>>> programmers. What most of these enthusiastic users fail to realize is
>>> that SQLite bindings for the three P-languages are an afterthought.
>>> SQLite was designed from the beginning to be used with Tcl. Tcl bindings
>>> have been in the SQLite core since before version 1.0 and almost half of
>>> the SQLite source code base consists of regression test scripts written
>>> in Tcl. SQLite wants to be programmed in Tcl, not those other languages."
>>>
>>> The entire paper can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2004/Papers/D.RichardHipp/drh.html
>>>
>> While that's true, Ruby works really well with SQLite!
>>
> Ruby rocks. C# rocks. D rocks. I used ruby in a project and i am very
> happy. /gem install sqlite3/-ruby ...
> This 3 languages are completed from the begining and with different uses.
>
> For me the universe must be in C and autocreate bindings to other
> languages is direct if the C APi is well designed.
> http://live.gnome.org/Vala
> http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection
> If you design a masterful API in C, you can access to all languages like
> JAVA, c#, ruby, python, PERL,D, C++, ...
> This is the perfect sample of this API:
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.18/
> This is the perfect sample of a full Object oriented API in C with Gobject:
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/
>
> I doubt SQLite was more apropiate to use in TCL. I see the C API of
> SQlite very clean and easy to hack in other languages.
>
> In my opinion TCL.like perl,  is death and sucks in my opinion.
> Ofusctated life...
>
> PD: I was PERL user in the past and i change it for ruby.
>
> Regards
>> Cheers,
>> Mohit.
>> 9/17/2008 | 12:11 AM.

Re: best language match for SQLite?

pablopico

I don't see any problems with people waving the FLAGS of their
favorite programming languages.
The more FLAG waving the merrier i say, and people will get to
see the many languages being used by the users of SQLite!
This is a wonderful venue for freedom of expression and exchange of
points of view on the different programming languages and SQLite!

P.

> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:27:57 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [sqlite] best language match for SQLite?
>
> My advice was not to have the tail wag the dog.  Choose you language as
> appropriate for the application.  Sqlite fits everywhere.  For example
> if it is an embedded system use C.  If it it something else a script
> system like Perl of whatever would be appropriate.
>
> If you want an ideally integrated platform use TCL.
>
> Martin (OPENGeoMap) wrote:
> > Mohit Sindhwani escribió:

> >> While that's true, Ruby works really well with SQLite!
> >>
> > Ruby rocks. C# rocks. D rocks. I used ruby in a project and i am very
> > happy. /gem install sqlite3/-ruby ...
> > This 3 languages are completed from the begining and with different uses.
> >
> > For me the universe must be in C and autocreate bindings to other
> > languages is direct if the C APi is well designed.
> > http://live.gnome.org/Vala
> > http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection
> > If you design a masterful API in C, you can access to all languages like
> > JAVA, c#, ruby, python, PERL,D, C++, ...
> > This is the perfect sample of this API:
> > http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.18/
> > This is the perfect sample of a full Object oriented API in C with Gobject:
> > http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/
> >
> > I doubt SQLite was more apropiate to use in TCL. I see the C API of
> > SQlite very clean and easy to hack in other languages.
> >
> > In my opinion TCL.like perl,  is death and sucks in my opinion.
> > Ofusctated life...
> >
> > PD: I was PERL user in the past and i change it for ruby.
> >
> > Regards
> >> Cheers,
> >> Mohit.
> >> 9/17/2008 | 12:11 AM.

Re: best language match for SQLite?

A. H. Ongun
Best language to use is the one that is suited for the job.

Examples:
I use Perl as a gluing language to connect various subsystems together, and as a swiss army knife.
C, C++ for embedded development on Linux.
C++ for Windows development.
Forth for embedded development on some specialized hardware.
SQL for Oracle, and MS SQL work.

and Vim to rule them all.  :)

andy

"Message: 1