capturing and testing a hot journal

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
to be clear, the original solution does not answer the question, it tries
to relay on sqlite specifics, where specifics are beyond the sqlite small
world. you must read back the first request to understand.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> involves the correlation between the computer and social skill sets you
>> wield. Maybe you had a very different use-case in mind than what is normal
>> for SQLite? - which is of course allowed.
>>

>>  "You won't have anything to commit.  If your application really had
>>> crashed
>>> it wouldn't have any transaction data to commit.  If your application had
>>> not crashed the transaction would always have worked."
>>>
>>> nope you can have a partial upload, a broken socket pipe et cetera, and
>>> you
>>> only assume a version of the file is not already remote and assume that
>>> after crash you might be able to recover local anyway.
>>>

>> Partial uploads... broken pipes... these are all networking related
>> issues and has nothing to do with file commitment of any SQLite code. When
>> you make a server-client system which upload a stream or download it, or in
>> any way sends it somewhere or manages synchronicity, it is the
>> responsibility of either the client or the server to commit those databits
>> to disk, not the pipe's responsibility. If the pipe dies halfway then the
>> app would know it, and no amount of half-commits can happen. The only time
>> SQLite engine can "break" a file by not completing a commit is if the
>> program itself crashes or the physical media errors out, just like Simon
>> said - none of which involve programmed-logic solutions. Report error and
>> die - this is the way the Force guides us.
>>

>>  there are two scenario to check:
>>>
>>> local = remote after any network transaction
>>> local = remote
>>>
>>> after incident:
>>>   + if not remote, test integrity of local
>>>   + if remote make sure both are safe
>>>   + if only remote restore/force sync has you got an interrupt (it
>>> happens
>>> with box)
>>>
>>> 1- the network flow could be interrupted no need a power failure for that
>>> to happen, it can happen that's you face also the case of undetected
>>> broken
>>> pipe, that's the reason you need to be notify by the network pooler API
>>> you
>>> use,
>>>
>>> 2- the journal tweaking only concern sqlite file and specific to it, then
>>> wrong design, make it work for anything using the "common regular" system
>>> of hashing/signing local to remote to ensure the integrity of the data,
>>> at
>>> least that's the only purpose of this discussion how I am sure whatever
>>> happen that I have my data in good shape somewhere.
>>>

>> This is establishing whether a file-transfer between some syncing
>> services is successful and current, it has not a single thing to do with
>> SQLite's ability to commit changes to the file or judging the need for
>> roll-back. When SQLite starts the file is either broken or not, end of.
>> This should be checked on a high level and has no bearing on anything to do

morality good question, wrong solution from the op + wrong solution gain of
simon to endorse the bad design, so then when you are serious you roll-back
to the entry point not the broken branch.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> to be clear, the original solution does not answer the question, it tries
> to relay on sqlite specifics, where specifics are beyond the sqlite small
> world. you must read back the first request to understand.
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> yes that's exactly what I said thank you to confirm my dear 8)
>>
>> " If the pipe dies halfway then the app would know it" sorry LOL

>>> Strange, I feel nothing of the sort and the only weak thing I can see
>>> involves the correlation between the computer and social skill sets you
>>> wield. Maybe you had a very different use-case in mind than what is normal
>>> for SQLite? - which is of course allowed.
>>>

>>>  "You won't have anything to commit.  If your application really had

>>> Partial uploads... broken pipes... these are all networking related
>>> issues and has nothing to do with file commitment of any SQLite code. When
>>> you make a server-client system which upload a stream or download it, or in
>>> any way sends it somewhere or manages synchronicity, it is the
>>> responsibility of either the client or the server to commit those databits
>>> to disk, not the pipe's responsibility. If the pipe dies halfway then the
>>> app would know it, and no amount of half-commits can happen. The only time
>>> SQLite engine can "break" a file by not completing a commit is if the
>>> program itself crashes or the physical media errors out, just like Simon
>>> said - none of which involve programmed-logic solutions. Report error and
>>> die - this is the way the Force guides us.
>>>

>>>  there are two scenario to check:

>>> This is establishing whether a file-transfer between some syncing
>>> services is successful and current, it has not a single thing to do with
>>> SQLite's ability to commit changes to the file or judging the need for
>>> roll-back. When SQLite starts the file is either broken or not, end of.
>>> This should be checked on a high level and has no bearing on anything to do
>>> with SQLite.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
sorry, I did not enter in the specifics of the answer, because it's driven
by personal feelings which are off topic and surely misplaced but I will
pass on this childish frustrations which are not my concern, bluntly I do
not care, if you take that personally it's your problem, deal with it.

thank you.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> morality good question, wrong solution from the op + wrong solution gain
> of simon to endorse the bad design, so then when you are serious you
> roll-back to the entry point not the broken branch.
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> to be clear, the original solution does not answer the question, it tries
>> to relay on sqlite specifics, where specifics are beyond the sqlite small
>> world. you must read back the first request to understand.
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> yes that's exactly what I said thank you to confirm my dear 8)

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
to be clear, I am not a social worker but an engineer and never argue when
I consider that's a lost cause, if you cannot straight talking 5 minutes in
your life... don't ask me to say "bravo", it's not big deal my little ducky
when I think the contrary especially on a topic I know from the outside and
the inside and all the possible entry point.

thank you for getting back on earth.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry, I did not enter in the specifics of the answer, because it's driven
> by personal feelings which are off topic and surely misplaced but I will
> pass on this childish frustrations which are not my concern, bluntly I do
> not care, if you take that personally it's your problem, deal with it.
>
> thank you.
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> morality good question, wrong solution from the op + wrong solution gain
>> of simon to endorse the bad design, so then when you are serious you
>> roll-back to the entry point not the broken branch.
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> to be clear, the original solution does not answer the question, it
>>> tries to relay on sqlite specifics, where specifics are beyond the sqlite
>>> small world. you must read back the first request to understand.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

R Smith
On 2014/07/15 22:33, mm.w wrote:
> whine_spam++  //....

Apologies to all.

Not sure if this is intended for Simon too, or only myself - either way, would you be so kind as to take it off-list, it is of no
benefit to others here - much appreciated.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
why Apologies when it's solely addressed to you, please don't be a hypocrite
everybody can understand that in your first paragraph you are out of the
topic and the line.

thank you, apology accepted... (SIK)

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM, RSmith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2014/07/15 22:33, mm.w wrote:
>
>> whine_spam++  //....
>>

> Apologies to all.
>
> Not sure if this is intended for Simon too, or only myself - either way,
> would you be so kind as to take it off-list, it is of no benefit to others
> here - much appreciated.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
don't try to look good when you are not.

thank you.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> why Apologies when it's solely addressed to you, please don't be a hypocrite
> everybody can understand that in your first paragraph you are out of the
> topic and the line.
>
> thank you, apology accepted... (SIK)
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM, RSmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2014/07/15 22:33, mm.w wrote:
>>
>>> whine_spam++  //....
>>>

>> Apologies to all.
>>
>> Not sure if this is intended for Simon too, or only myself - either way,
>> would you be so kind as to take it off-list, it is of no benefit to others
>> here - much appreciated.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
And to finally be clear I am a plain guy I don't hide behind the curtain
like you lamely try, that's public and solely addressed to you, no rocket
science here when you are honest with yourself, but I can tell you, I will
be the last guy here to burn you out personally, if you don't like arguing
stop coding and Simon is enough solid to answer himself I don't think he is
crying in the corner... he certainly does not need a baby-sister popping up
with ridiculous statements thinking she is the queeny, sorry but this is
ridiculous, anyone who lead team over 50 persons on tough projects means
projecting yourself over a 2 years round, must laugh at large, I can't tell
you, my little candy.

Best.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> don't try to look good when you are not.
>
> thank you.
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> why Apologies when it's solely addressed to you, please don't be a hypocrite
>> everybody can understand that in your first paragraph you are out of the
>> topic and the line.
>>
>> thank you, apology accepted... (SIK)

>>> Apologies to all.
>>>
>>> Not sure if this is intended for Simon too, or only myself - either way,
>>> would you be so kind as to take it off-list, it is of no benefit to others
>>> here - much appreciated.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

Simon Slavin-3

On 15 Jul 2014, at 11:03pm, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Simon is enough solid to answer himself

Thank you.

> I don't think he is
> crying in the corner

True.  But if lots of people all post the same advice it can be more persuasive than one person posting the same thing again and again.  So having make my statement I retire from the discussion.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
I agree I am not the best "communication guy ever born" but I can say no
guys don't roll-back this is a terrible idea without getting personal

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 Jul 2014, at 11:03pm, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Simon is enough solid to answer himself
>
> Thank you.
>
> > I don't think he is
> > crying in the corner
>
> True.  But if lots of people all post the same advice it can be more
> persuasive than one person posting the same thing again and again.  So
> having make my statement I retire from the discussion.
>
> Simon.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
anyway no drama here, I am not here to fight or getting personal, that's
just on a situation I ve seen I get passionate that's all

On 2014/07/16 00:03, mm.w wrote:
> And to finally be clear I am a plain guy I don't hide behind the curtain like you lamely try, that's public and solely addressed
> to you//..

I'd really like to not have another go at this thread, and again would like to apologise to the onlookers - but would like to affirm
that this is not a personal feud that spilt onto the forum, I have to date not received a single mail from Mr. mm.w which did not
also reach the list - contrary to the insinuation. I think he may simply be unaware he is/was posting to the list, for which I
apologise too and ask to please give him the benefit of the doubt and excuse the thread.

Mm.w, Sir, I guarantee you I have not a single hard feeling, we all have bad days, but please take this off-list hence.

Thank you kindly
Ryan

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
hello, if you think so, I have noting to say to you, because you already
made your judgement without giving a right of answer, so be it.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM, RSmith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2014/07/16 00:03, mm.w wrote:
>
>> And to finally be clear I am a plain guy I don't hide behind the curtain
>> like you lamely try, that's public and solely addressed to you//..
>>

> I'd really like to not have another go at this thread, and again would
> like to apologise to the onlookers - but would like to affirm that this is
> not a personal feud that spilt onto the forum, I have to date not received
> a single mail from Mr. mm.w which did not also reach the list - contrary to
> the insinuation. I think he may simply be unaware he is/was posting to the
> list, for which I apologise too and ask to please give him the benefit of
> the doubt and excuse the thread.
>
> Mm.w, Sir, I guarantee you I have not a single hard feeling, we all have
> bad days, but please take this off-list hence.
>
> Thank you kindly
> Ryan

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
you dare to affirm that I affirm , I

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello, if you think so, I have noting to say to you, because you already
> made your judgement without giving a right of answer, so be it.
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM, RSmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 2014/07/16 00:03, mm.w wrote:
>>
>>> And to finally be clear I am a plain guy I don't hide behind the curtain
>>> like you lamely try, that's public and solely addressed to you//..
>>>

>> I'd really like to not have another go at this thread, and again would
>> like to apologise to the onlookers - but would like to affirm that this is
>> not a personal feud that spilt onto the forum, I have to date not received
>> a single mail from Mr. mm.w which did not also reach the list - contrary to
>> the insinuation. I think he may simply be unaware he is/was posting to the
>> list, for which I apologise too and ask to please give him the benefit of
>> the doubt and excuse the thread.
>>
>> Mm.w, Sir, I guarantee you I have not a single hard feeling, we all have
>> bad days, but please take this off-list hence.
>>
>> Thank you kindly
>> Ryan

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
am not else you don't understand one single line of my previous comments,
you are just pissed off and not able to calling off thing I did

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you dare to affirm that I affirm , I
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> hello, if you think so, I have noting to say to you, because you already
>> made your judgement without giving a right of answer, so be it.

>>> I'd really like to not have another go at this thread, and again would
>>> like to apologise to the onlookers - but would like to affirm that this is
>>> not a personal feud that spilt onto the forum, I have to date not received
>>> a single mail from Mr. mm.w which did not also reach the list - contrary to
>>> the insinuation. I think he may simply be unaware he is/was posting to the
>>> list, for which I apologise too and ask to please give him the benefit of
>>> the doubt and excuse the thread.
>>>
>>> Mm.w, Sir, I guarantee you I have not a single hard feeling, we all have
>>> bad days, but please take this off-list hence.
>>>
>>> Thank you kindly
>>> Ryan

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
I already accepted your apologies why don't you give some air simply?
instead of poisoning the actual lame situation?

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> am not else you don't understand one single line of my previous comments,
> you are just pissed off and not able to calling off thing I did
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> you dare to affirm that I affirm , I
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> hello, if you think so, I have noting to say to you, because you already
>>> made your judgement without giving a right of answer, so be it.

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
seriously Rsmith \\\ 3 slashes is the microsoft guy way then I give a try 8D

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I already accepted your apologies why don't you give some air simply?
> instead of poisoning the actual lame situation?
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> am not else you don't understand one single line of my previous comments,
>> you are just pissed off and not able to calling off thing I did
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> you dare to affirm that I affirm , I

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
I am sorry I am jocking but you 'r calling of for white flag and use it to
charge again.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> seriously Rsmith \\\ 3 slashes is the microsoft guy way then I give a try
> 8D
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I already accepted your apologies why don't you give some air simply?
>> instead of poisoning the actual lame situation?
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> am not else you don't understand one single line of my previous
>>> comments, you are just pissed off and not able to calling off thing I did

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
and moreover you bluntly lie ....

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry I am jocking but you 'r calling of for white flag and use it to
> charge again.
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> seriously Rsmith \\\ 3 slashes is the microsoft guy way then I give a try
>> 8D
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM, mm.w <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I already accepted your apologies why don't you give some air simply?
>>> instead of poisoning the actual lame situation?

Re: capturing and testing a hot journal

mm.w
oh boy