crash dropping table

Mark Wagner
I have a simple test case wherein I delete from a number of tables and then
drop one of those tables.  This crashes sqlite3.

So something like this:

begin;
delete from x;
delete from y;
delete from z;
drop x;  << crashes here

Sorry for my ignorance but is there a procedure for submitting bugs for
things like this?

SQLite 3.22.0 2018-01-22 18:45:57
0c55d179733b46d8d0ba4d88e01a25e10677046ee3da1d5b1581e86726f2alt1
zlib version 1.2.8
gcc-7.3.0

Re: crash dropping table

Kees Nuyt
On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 15:47:47 +0000, Mark Wagner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sorry for my ignorance but is there a procedure for
> submitting bugs for things like this?

The procedure is to mail bugs to this mailing list, including
version info, so you did exactly the right thing.

Kees Nuyt

Re: crash dropping table

On 4/18/18, Mark Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a simple test case wherein I delete from a number of tables and then
> drop one of those tables.  This crashes sqlite3.
>
> So something like this:
>
> begin;
> delete from x;
> delete from y;
> delete from z;
> drop x;  << crashes here

Can you send in a reproducible test case?

Re: crash dropping table

David Raymond
The more specific info the better.

Can you reproduce it with a new database or does it only happen on one specific database?

What're the schemas of x, y and z?

Are those the exact commands you're giving it?
(For example: "drop x;" should give you a syntax error, but not crash)

What journal mode is the database using?

Etc...

On 18 Apr 2018, at 4:47pm, Mark Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a simple test case wherein I delete from a number of tables and then
> drop one of those tables.  This crashes sqlite3.
>
> So something like this:
>
> begin;
> delete from x;
> delete from y;
> delete from z;
> drop x;  << crashes here
>
> Sorry for my ignorance but is there a procedure for submitting bugs for
> things like this?

Can you make the same problem happen in the SQLite CLI tool ?  If so, please post a full script here.  If not, there's a possibility that the problem is somewhere in your own software.

If it's in your software, are you checking the return values from the first four commands in your list ?

Re: crash dropping table

Mark Wagner
I will try to produce a repro case that I can share out (the database I was
testing on has lots of personal data that I will first try to delete).
Thanks for the responses.

@David Note that those weren't the precise commands (i.e. drop command was
"drop table x;").

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 9:56 AM Simon Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2018, at 4:47pm, Mark Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have a simple test case wherein I delete from a number of tables and
> then
> > drop one of those tables.  This crashes sqlite3.
> >
> > So something like this:
> >
> > begin;
> > delete from x;
> > delete from y;
> > delete from z;
> > drop x;  << crashes here
> >
> > Sorry for my ignorance but is there a procedure for submitting bugs for
> > things like this?
>
> Can you make the same problem happen in the SQLite CLI tool ?  If so,
> please post a full script here.  If not, there's a possibility that the
> problem is somewhere in your own software.
>
> If it's in your software, are you checking the return values from the
> first four commands in your list ?
>
> Simon.

Re: crash dropping table

Simon Slavin-3

On 18 Apr 2018, at 5:59pm, Mark Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I will try to produce a repro case that I can share out (the database I was
> testing on has lots of personal data that I will first try to delete).

Before you do anything else to it, make a copy and use the SQLite shell to do

    PRAGMA integrity_check();

on it.  Just in case the reason for the crash is that the database is corrupt.