equivalent of linked tables in sqlite ?

gl demoor
Hi All,

I'm just starting with SQLite and hope to use it as the common database for
a desktop and pocketpc tool.

to keep it simple, I'd like to use a main database on the desktop and a
secondary database to be copied to the pocketpc as a sqlite db. (no realtime
synchronization is needed)
if data has been modified on the pocketpc, the secondary database is copied
back to the pc and (in ms access-speak) linked as external tables in the
main database.
What is the equivalent of linked (or external) tables in SQLite?

a further twist to this: I need also access Foxpro-data on the desktop as
external table to SQLite?

best regards
glenn

RE: equivalent of linked tables in sqlite ?

Fred Williams
Use Delphi.

Jay Sprenkle

Take a look at 'attach'. I think that might get you where you want to go

Jay Sprenkle wrote:

>On 12/11/05, gl demoor <[hidden email]> wrote:

8<

>>What is the equivalent of linked (or external) tables in SQLite?
>>

>Take a look at 'attach'. I think that might get you where you want to go

thanks for your reply, I'll look that up

To Fred Williams: thank you too. Although I'm not very keen to learn yet
another programming tool, I'll check delphi out .

http://www.sqlite.org/lang_attach.html

RE: equivalent of linked tables in sqlite ?

Fred Williams
I only mentioned it because of the broad and diverse database
connectivity.  What is not available natively is most likely available
from third parties.

I did some preliminary and extensive reseach (cough google cough :) on
delphi and pocketpc

unless I'm missing something, delphi is not use for pocketpc programming

google results were of the following nature:
>I'm pretty sure no one supports *Delphi* for *Pocket PC*, so you will need
>to switch to another language. Your choices are C, C++, C#, and VB
(Excerpt usenet message aug 2 05, by a Robert Zaret, eMVP)

I hope to use the same (type) language for desktop and ppc programmation.
The most likely candidate seems evc++ & vc++. (I still have to learn it)
even more so because the intended tool calls for lowlevel access to the
serial port on the pocketpc (Dallas Ibutton interfacing).

I'm however concerned about the database connectivity. On a previous
attempt, I bought Sybase PocketBuilder on sybase's reputation of being
proficient at different db formats. Only to find out dbase, foxpro support
and such was scrapped from pocketbuilder.

glenn

On 12/12/05, Fred Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I only mentioned it because of the broad and diverse database
> connectivity.  What is not available natively is most likely available
> from third parties.

Arjen Markus
gl demoor wrote:

> I did some preliminary and extensive reseach (cough google cough :) on
> delphi and pocketpc
>
> unless I'm missing something, delphi is not use for pocketpc programming
>
> google results were of the following nature:
> >I'm pretty sure no one supports *Delphi* for *Pocket PC*, so you will need
> >to switch to another language. Your choices are C, C++, C#, and VB
> (Excerpt usenet message aug 2 05, by a Robert Zaret, eMVP)
>
> I hope to use the same (type) language for desktop and ppc programmation.
> The most likely candidate seems evc++ & vc++. (I still have to learn it)
> even more so because the intended tool calls for lowlevel access to the
> serial port on the pocketpc (Dallas Ibutton interfacing).
>
> I'm however concerned about the database connectivity. On a previous
> attempt, I bought Sybase PocketBuilder on sybase's reputation of being
> proficient at different db formats. Only to find out dbase, foxpro support
> and such was scrapped from pocketbuilder.

I know very little about the development environment for PocketPC, but
you might consider Tcl/Tk:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/pocketpc describes what is available.

Regards,

Arjen

RE: equivalent of linked tables in sqlite ?

John Oliva
You might want to look at using AppForge (www.appforge.com) which takes a
slightly restricted version of VB6, VB.NET and C# and can produce output for
many handheld devices (including PPC).  Also, you can program in .NET for
the desktop and .NET compact framework for the Pocket PC.

Regards,
John Oliva
www.danicsystems.com

> I hope to use the same (type) language for desktop and ppc
> programmation. The most likely candidate seems evc++ & vc++.
> (I still have to learn it) even more so because the intended
> tool calls for lowlevel access to the serial port on the
> pocketpc (Dallas Ibutton interfacing).
>
> I'm however concerned about the database connectivity. On a
> previous attempt, I bought Sybase PocketBuilder on sybase's
> reputation of being proficient at different db formats. Only
> to find out dbase, foxpro support and such was scrapped from
> pocketbuilder.
>
> glenn

Re: equivalent of linked tables in sqlite ?

gl demoor
thank you both Arjen Markus & John Oliva
I'll try VB - appforge as I know vb reasonably well. Tcl/tk and others
will have to wait

glenn

John Oliva wrote:

>You might want to look at using AppForge (www.appforge.com) which takes a
>slightly restricted version of VB6, VB.NET and C# and can produce output for
>many handheld devices (including PPC).  Also, you can program in .NET for
>the desktop and .NET compact framework for the Pocket PC.
>
>Regards,
>John Oliva
>www.danicsystems.com
>

>>I hope to use the same (type) language for desktop and ppc
>>programmation. The most likely candidate seems evc++ & vc++.
>>(I still have to learn it) even more so because the intended
>>tool calls for lowlevel access to the serial port on the
>>pocketpc (Dallas Ibutton interfacing).
>>
>>I'm however concerned about the database connectivity. On a
>>previous attempt, I bought Sybase PocketBuilder on sybase's
>>reputation of being proficient at different db formats. Only
>>to find out dbase, foxpro support and such was scrapped from
>>pocketbuilder.
>>
>>glenn

RE: equivalent of linked tables in sqlite ?

Fred Williams
I missed any reference to Pocket PC.  Although there is a look alike
Delphi product for PalmOS there is no support for the Pocket PC.
Unfortunately your only options for Pocket PC seem to be something from
Mickeysoft probably using ODBC or some other kludge for some of your
data (anything non Microsoft.)

That has been one of Delphi's strengths in the past, connectivity to ANY
data source, but Microsoft is slowly wearing Borland down and that is
not a "good thing", IMHO.

Fred