how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?

Robert P. J. Day

  hi, i'm running fedora core 3 and i need some help cross-compiling
sqlite-3.2.2 for the PPC platform.  i have the cross-compiler
toolchain ELDK-3.1.1 installed and, like i've done with other
packages, i ran the following:

  $ ../sqlite-3.2.2/configure --host=ppc-linux-gnu \
        CC=ppc_8xx-gcc

the tail end of the output is:

Version set to 3.2
Release set to 3.2.2
Version number set to 3002002
checking for ppc-linux-gnu-gcc... (cached) ppc_8xx-gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether ppc_8xx-gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for ppc_8xx-gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none
needed
configure: error: unable to find a compiler for building build tools


  um ... what appears to be the problem here?  certainly, i have the
entire gnu development suite installed, and i've used this incantation
to cross-compile other packages, like expat.

  thoughts?

rday
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?

Aaron Planell López
What type of Pocket PC do you have? An iPAQ?

Atentamente,
Aaron Planell López
 
Principal:            [hidden email]
Trabajo:            [hidden email]
GMail:            [hidden email]
 
Puede que nuestro papel en este planeta
no sea alabar a Dios sino crearlo. Arthur C. Clarke
 

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Robert P. J. Day [mailto:[hidden email]]
Enviado el: jueves, 23 de junio de 2005 13:55
Para: SQLite users mailing list
Asunto: [sqlite] how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?


  hi, i'm running fedora core 3 and i need some help cross-compiling
sqlite-3.2.2 for the PPC platform.  i have the cross-compiler
toolchain ELDK-3.1.1 installed and, like i've done with other
packages, i ran the following:

  $ ../sqlite-3.2.2/configure --host=ppc-linux-gnu \
        CC=ppc_8xx-gcc

the tail end of the output is:

Version set to 3.2
Release set to 3.2.2
Version number set to 3002002
checking for ppc-linux-gnu-gcc... (cached) ppc_8xx-gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether ppc_8xx-gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for ppc_8xx-gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none
needed
configure: error: unable to find a compiler for building build tools


  um ... what appears to be the problem here?  certainly, i have the
entire gnu development suite installed, and i've used this incantation
to cross-compile other packages, like expat.

  thoughts?

rday

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?

Christian Smith
In reply to this post by Robert P. J. Day
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>
>  hi, i'm running fedora core 3 and i need some help cross-compiling
>sqlite-3.2.2 for the PPC platform.  i have the cross-compiler
>toolchain ELDK-3.1.1 installed and, like i've done with other
>packages, i ran the following:
>
>  $ ../sqlite-3.2.2/configure --host=ppc-linux-gnu \
> CC=ppc_8xx-gcc
>
>the tail end of the output is:
>
>Version set to 3.2
>Release set to 3.2.2
>Version number set to 3002002
>checking for ppc-linux-gnu-gcc... (cached) ppc_8xx-gcc
>checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
>checking whether ppc_8xx-gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
>checking for ppc_8xx-gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none
>needed
>configure: error: unable to find a compiler for building build tools
>
>
>  um ... what appears to be the problem here?  certainly, i have the
>entire gnu development suite installed, and i've used this incantation
>to cross-compile other packages, like expat.


SQLite requires a parser generator called lemon, which is bundled with the
sources. This has to be compiled and run on the build machine, and cannot
be cross compiled. Try setting BUILD_CC to the host native compiler.

Alternatively, use the Makefile.linux-gcc template used by DRH, and change
the variables in there.


>
>  thoughts?
>
>rday
>

--
    /"\
    \ /    ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
     X                           - AGAINST MS ATTACHMENTS
    / \
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?

Robert P. J. Day
In reply to this post by Aaron Planell López
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Aaron Planell L?pez wrote:

> What type of Pocket PC do you have? An iPAQ?

not a pocket PC, a PPC-based development board.

rday
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?

Robert P. J. Day
In reply to this post by Christian Smith
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Christian Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >
> >  hi, i'm running fedora core 3 and i need some help cross-compiling
> >sqlite-3.2.2 for the PPC platform.  i have the cross-compiler
> >toolchain ELDK-3.1.1 installed and, like i've done with other
> >packages, i ran the following:
> >
> >  $ ../sqlite-3.2.2/configure --host=ppc-linux-gnu \
> > CC=ppc_8xx-gcc
> >
> >the tail end of the output is:
> >
> >Version set to 3.2
> >Release set to 3.2.2
> >Version number set to 3002002
> >checking for ppc-linux-gnu-gcc... (cached) ppc_8xx-gcc
> >checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
> >checking whether ppc_8xx-gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
> >checking for ppc_8xx-gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none
> >needed
> >configure: error: unable to find a compiler for building build tools
> >
> >
> >  um ... what appears to be the problem here?  certainly, i have the
> >entire gnu development suite installed, and i've used this incantation
> >to cross-compile other packages, like expat.
>
> SQLite requires a parser generator called lemon, which is bundled
> with the sources. This has to be compiled and run on the build
> machine, and cannot be cross compiled. Try setting BUILD_CC to the
> host native compiler.

as in, just add "BUILD_CC=/usr/bin/gcc"?  same error.  or did i
misunderstand what you were suggesting?

> Alternatively, use the Makefile.linux-gcc template used by DRH, and
> change the variables in there.

ok, i'll give that a shot, too, but i'd still like to know what the
problem is with the configure phase.

rday
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?

Christian Smith
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Christian Smith wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>> >  um ... what appears to be the problem here?  certainly, i have the
>> >entire gnu development suite installed, and i've used this incantation
>> >to cross-compile other packages, like expat.
>>
>> SQLite requires a parser generator called lemon, which is bundled
>> with the sources. This has to be compiled and run on the build
>> machine, and cannot be cross compiled. Try setting BUILD_CC to the
>> host native compiler.
>
>as in, just add "BUILD_CC=/usr/bin/gcc"?  same error.  or did i
>misunderstand what you were suggesting?


Well, I got it wrong anyway. TARGET_CC is the cross compiler. Have a read
of configure.ac, which lists the expected environment variables that can
be used. Upon further examination, you need to prefix config_ to the
variable name:
$ export config_TARGET_CC=cross-gcc
$ ./configure ...

However, I tried using an arbitrary cross compiler (gcc-h8300-hms) and
libtool crapped out anyway.


>
>> Alternatively, use the Makefile.linux-gcc template used by DRH, and
>> change the variables in there.
>
>ok, i'll give that a shot, too, but i'd still like to know what the
>problem is with the configure phase.


One of the known problems is that the autoconf part is basically
unmaintained, and noone has stepped up to take the reigns. I always use
either the Makefile.linux-gcc as a template, or use my own imake based
Imakefile. I'd suggest the former unless you're integrating with another
build system and particularly require an autoconf or imake based build.


>
>rday
>

Christian

--
    /"\
    \ /    ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
     X                           - AGAINST MS ATTACHMENTS
    / \
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to cross-compile sqlite for PPC?

Robert P. J. Day
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Christian Smith wrote:

> One of the known problems is that the autoconf part is basically
> unmaintained, and noone has stepped up to take the reigns.

i'm starting to see that.  to test a local install, i ran the
configure with "--prefix=/home/rpjday/root" and yet, after a
susccessful "make", when i ran "make install" it tried to install
under /usr.  grrrrrr.  can it really be *that* broken?

i'll just use the Makefile-linux.gcc as a starting point for now and
see what happens.

rday