minor nit pick of "When To Use"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

minor nit pick of "When To Use"

Dennis Clarke

this : https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

I know this is really a nit pick but I see that the OpenGroup folks have
published a new shiney UNIX standard called SUSv4 or Single UNIX
Specification version 4 or even ye "The Open Group Base Specifications
Issue 7, 2018 edition IEEE Std 1003.1-2017 (Revision of IEEE Std
1003.1-2008)" just for fun.  This :

     http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/toc.htm

Where we see the "standard" fopen is :

     http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fopen.html

Not exactly a manpage to be sure but it is the standard.

So perhaps a link could be placed on the top of the "When To Use" beside
the "fopen()" manpage thing to "he.net" whatever that is. Surely the
"competes with fopen()" is a small joke in any case. OKay I will go back
to picking nits.

Dennis
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: minor nit pick of "When To Use"

J. King-3
On November 11, 2018 8:04:51 AM EST, Dennis Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>this : https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html
>
>I know this is really a nit pick but I see that the OpenGroup folks
>have
>published a new shiney UNIX standard called SUSv4 or Single UNIX
>Specification version 4 or even ye "The Open Group Base Specifications
>Issue 7, 2018 edition IEEE Std 1003.1-2017 (Revision of IEEE Std
>1003.1-2008)" just for fun.  This :
>
>     http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/toc.htm
>
>Where we see the "standard" fopen is :
>
>   http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fopen.html
>
>Not exactly a manpage to be sure but it is the standard.
>
>So perhaps a link could be placed on the top of the "When To Use"
>beside
>the "fopen()" manpage thing to "he.net" whatever that is. Surely the
>"competes with fopen()" is a small joke in any case. OKay I will go
>back
>to picking nits.
>
>Dennis
>_______________________________________________
>sqlite-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users

he.net is Hurricane Electric, an Internet backbone. Not exactly the authority on manpages, I'll grant, but given what they do it's not likely to go down, so it's a stable reference for the manual.
--
J. King
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: minor nit pick of "When To Use"

Dennis Clarke
On 11/11/18 8:25 AM, J. King wrote:
> On November 11, 2018 8:04:51 AM EST, Dennis Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> this : https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

> he.net is Hurricane Electric, an Internet backbone.

An IX ?

Ah yes .. those guys ... been around forever. I should just "know that"
but forgot. Regardless the whole reference to "fopen()" is a bit of a
joke.

dc
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: minor nit pick of "When To Use"

Dennis Clarke
On 11/11/18 8:38 AM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> On 11/11/18 8:25 AM, J. King wrote:
>> On November 11, 2018 8:04:51 AM EST, Dennis Clarke
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> this : https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html
>
>> he.net is Hurricane Electric, an Internet backbone.
>
> An IX ?

https://www.peeringdb.com/asn/6939

in a big way ... cool.

dc
_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: minor nit pick of "When To Use"

Jay Kreibich
In reply to this post by Dennis Clarke

> On Nov 11, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Dennis Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 11/11/18 8:25 AM, J. King wrote:
>> On November 11, 2018 8:04:51 AM EST, Dennis Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> this : https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html
>
>> he.net is Hurricane Electric, an Internet backbone.
>
> An IX ?

HE is not an IX, they’re a transit provider.

Their big claim to fame was that they were one of the pioneers of IPv6, making tools, tunnels, and prefixes available to a wide range of organizations, including individuals, long before most of the rest of the internet even cared about IPv6.

> Regardless the whole reference to "fopen()" is a bit of a joke.

Not really… it is exactly as it says.  SQLite is designed to be used in situations were a developer might be tempted to just use CSV or TSV files.  The link is only there to clue in non-programmers (or those that have never used C) what they heck the webpage is talking about.  They don’t need to understand it, beyond the fact it is an API call.

 -j


_______________________________________________
sqlite-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mailinglists.sqlite.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sqlite-users