questions

ams64@juno.com
August 18, 2018 Good Morning Good People: I am in the process of building a database for where I work. I can do a lot of tasks with SQLite. But I am stuck on the dilemmas below. If any of you have any programming solutions for any/all of these dilemmas I am in--in a way that I can download what yo have so someone who has no programming experience and can just 'click and use' (i.e., turnkey solutions, please advise. Once I hear back that you have any/all solutions to my dilemmas below, I will give you an e-mail address to send them to. Thank you vern much in advance for helping me eliminate these dilemmas. 1) How Can I do a search--say for people trained on one task, or on a given date, or for people who know how to operate one specific piece of equipment? 2) How can I set up SQLite so some people can only read SQLite? 3) How can I sent up a table/report of my results? 4) How can I put in ascending or descending order all the information on one field, say by date I gave out safety glasses? Respectfully yours, Alex Stavis

Re: questions

Roger Schlueter
Hi Alex,

This functionality is certainly something that SQLite or even any
moderately capable database system can solve.  However, for these
specific requirements there is very likely no off-the-shelf, ready-to-go
solution unless the requirement is very common or regulatory-required in
your industry.

On 8/18/2018 9:24, [hidden email] wrote:
> August 18, 2018 Good Morning Good People: I am in the process of building a database for where I work. I can do a lot of tasks with SQLite. But I am stuck on the dilemmas below. If any of you have any programming solutions for any/all of these dilemmas I am in--in a way that I can download what yo have so someone who has no programming experience and can just 'click and use' (i.e., turnkey solutions, please advise. Once I hear back that you have any/all solutions to my dilemmas below, I will give you an e-mail address to send them to. Thank you vern much in advance for helping me eliminate these dilemmas. 1) How Can I do a search--say for people trained on one task, or on a given date, or for people who know how to operate one specific piece of equipment? 2) How can I set up SQLite so some people can only read SQLite? 3) How can I sent up a table/report of my results? 4) How can I put in ascending or descending order all the information on one field, say by date I gave out safety glasses? Respectfully yours, Alex Stavis

Re: questions

ams64@juno.com
August 18, 2018, Hello Roger, Thank you so much for your answer, and so fast at that! Going forward, the programming I am looking for does not have to be 'off-the-shelf' It could be programming done by someone the s/he is willing to shine with me--as long as it solves my dilemmas. Also, this programming does not have to be 'industry-specific'. As always, if you have any questions, need more information and/or need any clarifications, ask away. Respectfully yours, Alex Stavis

This functionality is certainly something that SQLite or even any
moderately capable database system can solve.  However, for these
specific requirements there is very likely no off-the-shelf, ready-to-go
solution unless the requirement is very common or regulatory-required in
your industry.

On 8/18/2018 9:24, [hidden email] wrote:
> August 18, 2018 Good Morning Good People: I am in the process of building a database for where I work. I can do a lot of tasks with SQLite. But I am stuck on the dilemmas below. If any of you have any programming solutions for any/all of these dilemmas I am in--in a way that I can download what yo have so someone who has no programming experience and can just 'click and use' (i.e., turnkey solutions, please advise. Once I hear back that you have any/all solutions to my dilemmas below, I will give you an e-mail address to send them to. Thank you vern much in advance for helping me eliminate these dilemmas. 1) How Can I do a search--say for people trained on one task, or on a given date, or for people who know how to operate one specific piece of equipment? 2) How can I set up SQLite so some people can only read SQLite? 3) How can I sent up a table/report of my results? 4) How can I put in ascending or descending order all the information on one field, say by date I gave out safety glasses? Respectfully yours, Alex Stavis

Re: questions

R Smith-2
Hi Alex,

I like the way you type, it's how I imagine text will look in the future
when we have successfully completed chip implants in the brain that
directly outputs the text of what we are thinking.  :)

So if I understand you correct, you have a database in SQLite which you
have developed or somehow filled with some data (possibly using a DB
manager of sorts) that is tailored to the needs at your place of work.
Now you would like this data to be visible to some people in a useful way.

It's hard to know what the specific needs or specification is from the
description, but I assume you would like someone to assist and make the
program(s) for you/with you. I'm sure everyone here is capable, but most
people here already have a full-time job, so you'd probably have more
luck at a site like freelancer.com (where you can hire expert people on
the cheap).

If you only say "I need help"  the best we can answer is: "We can see
that."  Questions here have to be somewhat specific, even if you post
some code in whatever programming platform you have, you will typically
get some help with it here. To get best answers here, what you can do is
post a query that you have made, along with your table schema / layout,
and then ask how to make that query better, for instance how to order it
ascending or filter it, or perhaps how to improve the schema itself, and
for that you should get loads of results from here.

Best of luck!
Ryan

On 2018/08/18 7:15 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> August 18, 2018, Hello Roger, Thank you so much for your answer, and so fast at that! Going forward, the programming I am looking for does not have to be 'off-the-shelf' It could be programming done by someone the s/he is willing to shine with me--as long as it solves my dilemmas. Also, this programming does not have to be 'industry-specific'. As always, if you have any questions, need more information and/or need any clarifications, ask away. Respectfully yours, Alex Stavis

Balaji Ramanathan

>    2. questions ([hidden email])
> From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> Bcc:
> Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 16:24:45 GMT
> Subject: [sqlite] questions
> August 18, 2018 Good Morning Good People: I am in the process of building
> a database for where I work. I can do a lot of tasks with SQLite. But I am
> stuck on the dilemmas below. If any of you have any programming solutions
> for any/all of these dilemmas I am in--in a way that I can download what yo
> have so someone who has no programming experience and can just 'click and
> use' (i.e., turnkey solutions, please advise. Once I hear back that you
> have any/all solutions to my dilemmas below, I will give you an e-mail
> address to send them to. Thank you vern much in advance for helping me
> eliminate these dilemmas. 1) How Can I do a search--say for people trained
> on one task, or on a given date, or for people who know how to operate one
> specific piece of equipment? 2) How can I set up SQLite so some people can
> only read SQLite? 3) How can I sent up a table/report of my results? 4) How
> can I put in ascending or descending order all the information on one
> field, say by date I gave out safety glasses? Respectfully yours, Alex
> Stavis

Hi Alex,

    As others here have suggested, SQLite is just a database engine with no
user interface (except for the command line interface).  You need to build
your own interface by writing a program that includes SQLite as the data
storage and retrieval engine.  You can write such a program in most
programming languages or in a scripting language like Tcl.  I have also
experimented with using ODBC to use MS Access as a front end to a SQLite
database.  But if you have Access, you may not even need SQLite unless you
are dealing with large amounts of data that Access doesn't scale to
properly.

    MS Access gives you the ability to use forms for data input, printable
reports, etc. that you can fine-tune to your heart's content.  It includes
the programming language Visual Basic for Access (VBA) that you can use to
do lots of things that SQL alone may not be able to do (or requires jumping
through hoops to accomplish).

    An alternative to that is to use a generic user interface program.
There are are several available out there, and the two most commonly used
ones seem to be SQLiteStudio (www.sqlitestudio.pl) and SQLiteExpert (
www.sqliteexpert.com).  They allow you to administer a sqlite database in a
familiar windows environment, add and edit data in the tables, pull data
out using queries and views, etc.  You do have to be familiar with how to
design a relational database and be able to use SQL to access the data in
such a relational database.

    Personally, I use Tcl for one of my uses of SQLite.  I am not an expert
in Tcl by any stretch of the imagination, and it can be quite frustrating
to get it to do exactly what you want.  Tcl allows you to create forms and
reports for interacting with the database.  If you use a programming
language or MS Access as a front end to the database, you can limit people
to read-only access if necessary, by locking down the forms and exposing
only the reports.

    For another of my uses, I use SQLite Studio.  I find it very quick and
robust and has all the capabilities I need for simply being able add, edit
and retrieve data in an intuitive and straightforward user interface.
However, it is a very generic tool that has limited customization
potential, for instance, for creating forms, reports, etc.  I experimented
with SQLite Expert, but found its user interface less to my liking.
Neither of these tools will limit some people to read-only access to the
database.

    Hope I have given you some things to think about, and hopefully try out
to get an idea of what the advantages and disadvantages of each approach
are.

Balaji Ramanathan