"Bad CPU type in executable"?

Jimmy Verner
A developer built an iPhone app for me.  I am exploring using it as a
template for another app.  The data file is called
libsqlite3.0.dylib.  When I try to open the file, I receive this
message:

/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
[76-209-121-92:~] jimmyverner% /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/
Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib: Bad CPU type in executable.
logout
[Process completed]

How do I open this file?

Running OS X 10.5.7, Xcode 3.1.3.

TIA

Jimmy Verner
www.vernerlegal.com

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Jean-Denis Muys-2

On 8/5/09 17:48 , "Jimmy Verner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A developer built an iPhone app for me.  I am exploring using it as a
> template for another app.  The data file is called
> libsqlite3.0.dylib.  When I try to open the file, I receive this
> message:
>
> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
> usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
> [76-209-121-92:~] jimmyverner% /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/
> Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
> usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib: Bad CPU type in executable.
> logout
> [Process completed]
>
> How do I open this file?
>
> Running OS X 10.5.7, Xcode 3.1.3.

A dylib file is not a data file, but a dynamic library, similar to a .dll
file under Windows. It must be linked against in you Xcode project.

The path you give suggests that dynamic library is coming with the standard
iPhone SDK. How did you try to "open" it, as you said?

If indeed you need to open the data (ie database) file, then you need
another file, possibly with a .db extension.

Jean-Denis

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Jimmy Verner
Thx. for your note.  The dylib file is visible only when the app is is
opened with xcode.  I then clicked on the file.  The Terminal window
opened and I received the message set forth below.

There is a db3 file within the app.  When I try to open the db3 file
in xcode, nothing happens.  The db3 file is visible in Finder.  When I
try to open it there, Finder says there is no default app with which
to open it.  I am able to open it with Text Wrangler where there is
much gibberish but also the data.  The file begins with SQ Lite format
3 and then includes setup commands to set up a table.

I now understand that a db3 file is a dBase III file.  Perhaps you
could point me to some resources so I can learn about dBase III files
and how they interact with dylib files?

Thx. again.

Jimmy Verner
www.vernerlegal.com

On Aug 5, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Jean-Denis Muys wrote:

> On 8/5/09 17:48 , "Jimmy Verner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A developer built an iPhone app for me.  I am exploring using it as a
>> template for another app.  The data file is called
>> libsqlite3.0.dylib.  When I try to open the file, I receive this
>> message:
>>
>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
>> iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
>> usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
>> [76-209-121-92:~] jimmyverner% /Developer/Platforms/
>> iPhoneOS.platform/
>> Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
>> iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
>> usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib: Bad CPU type in executable.
>> logout
>> [Process completed]
>>
>> How do I open this file?
>>
>> Running OS X 10.5.7, Xcode 3.1.3.
>>

> A dylib file is not a data file, but a dynamic library, similar to
> a .dll
> file under Windows. It must be linked against in you Xcode project.
>
> The path you give suggests that dynamic library is coming with the
> standard
> iPhone SDK. How did you try to "open" it, as you said?
>
> If indeed you need to open the data (ie database) file, then you need
> another file, possibly with a .db extension.
>

> Jean-Denis

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Puneet Kishor-2
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Jimmy Verner<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thx. for your note.  The dylib file is visible only when the app is is
> opened with xcode.  I then clicked on the file.  The Terminal window
> opened and I received the message set forth below.
>
> There is a db3 file within the app.  When I try to open the db3 file
> in xcode, nothing happens.  The db3 file is visible in Finder.  When I
> try to open it there, Finder says there is no default app with which
> to open it.  I am able to open it with Text Wrangler where there is
> much gibberish but also the data.  The file begins with SQ Lite format
> 3 and then includes setup commands to set up a table.
>
> I now understand that a db3 file is a dBase III file.  Perhaps you
> could point me to some resources so I can learn about dBase III files
> and how they interact with dylib files?

Your understanding is incorrect. The db3 file is not a dbase 3 file,
but is a sqlite3 db file, created by version 3 of sqlite. You need
sqlite to open that file, which is provided by your application and
the .dylib in question.

Perhaps you should ask your developer who gave you all this for more
help. She or he would be best placed to guide you.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org

On 8/5/09 18:40 , "Jimmy Verner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thx. for your note.  The dylib file is visible only when the app is is
> opened with xcode.  I then clicked on the file.  The Terminal window
> opened and I received the message set forth below.
>
> There is a db3 file within the app.  When I try to open the db3 file
> in xcode, nothing happens.  The db3 file is visible in Finder.  When I
> try to open it there, Finder says there is no default app with which
> to open it.  I am able to open it with Text Wrangler where there is
> much gibberish but also the data.  The file begins with SQ Lite format
> 3 and then includes setup commands to set up a table.
>
> I now understand that a db3 file is a dBase III file.  Perhaps you
> could point me to some resources so I can learn about dBase III files
> and how they interact with dylib files?
>
> Thx. again.
>
> Jimmy Verner
> www.vernerlegal.com
>

> On Aug 5, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Jean-Denis Muys wrote:
>

>> On 8/5/09 17:48 , "Jimmy Verner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> A developer built an iPhone app for me.  I am exploring using it as a
>>> template for another app.  The data file is called
>>> libsqlite3.0.dylib.  When I try to open the file, I receive this
>>> message:
>>>
>>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
>>> iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
>>> usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
>>> [76-209-121-92:~] jimmyverner% /Developer/Platforms/
>>> iPhoneOS.platform/
>>> Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
>>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
>>> iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
>>> usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib: Bad CPU type in executable.
>>> logout
>>> [Process completed]
>>>
>>> How do I open this file?
>>>
>>> Running OS X 10.5.7, Xcode 3.1.3.
>>>

>> A dylib file is not a data file, but a dynamic library, similar to
>> a .dll
>> file under Windows. It must be linked against in you Xcode project.
>>
>> The path you give suggests that dynamic library is coming with the
>> standard
>> iPhone SDK. How did you try to "open" it, as you said?
>>
>> If indeed you need to open the data (ie database) file, then you need
>> another file, possibly with a .db extension.
>>

>> Jean-Denis

You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy. That said...

It's apparent your DB3 file is the SQLite file you are looking for, not a
Dbase III file.

To open it, you can use any utility that can open a SQLite file. I
personnaly use MesaSQLite. Or you can use the SQLite3 command line utility
that's included with your Mac. Open a terminal and type something like

sqlite3 /path/to/mydb.db3

Then you can use all the SQLite commands.

I hope that let's you get started.

Jean-Denis

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Jimmy Verner
Thank you both.  Sorry about the top-posting - my experience on other
lists is that top-posting is preferred.

Jimmy Verner
www.vernerlegal.com

> You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy. That
> said...
>
> It's apparent your DB3 file is the SQLite file you are looking for,
> not a
> Dbase III file.
>
> To open it, you can use any utility that can open a SQLite file. I
> personnaly use MesaSQLite. Or you can use the SQLite3 command line
> utility
> that's included with your Mac. Open a terminal and type something like
>
> sqlite3 /path/to/mydb.db3
>
> Then you can use all the SQLite commands.
>
> I hope that let's you get started.
>
> Jean-Denis

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Nuno Lucas-2
Jean-Denis Muys wrote:
> You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy. That said...

And you are including everything of the earlier mail, which is even more evil
than top-posting by itself.

Ok, I'm done with my rant-per-year mails.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Jimmy Verner
Sounds like I'm not welcome on this list.  Go hassle someone else.
Goodbye.

Jimmy Verner
www.vernerlegal.com

On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Nuno Lucas wrote:

> Jean-Denis Muys wrote:
>> You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy. That
>> said...
>
> And you are including everything of the earlier mail, which is even
> more evil
> than top-posting by itself.
>
> Ok, I'm done with my rant-per-year mails.
>

> Regards,
> ~Nuno Lucas

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

bfr00
Exactly.

> Thank you both.  Sorry about the top-posting - my experience on other
> lists is that top-posting is preferred.
>
> Jimmy Verner
> www.vernerlegal.com
>

>> You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy. That
>> said...
>>
>> It's apparent your DB3 file is the SQLite file you are looking for,
>> not a
>> Dbase III file.
>>
>> To open it, you can use any utility that can open a SQLite file. I
>> personnaly use MesaSQLite. Or you can use the SQLite3 command line
>> utility
>> that's included with your Mac. Open a terminal and type something like
>>
>> sqlite3 /path/to/mydb.db3
>>
>> Then you can use all the SQLite commands.
>>
>> I hope that let's you get started.
>>
>> Jean-Denis

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

metanym
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Jean-Denis Muys<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy.

You need to look up the word "evil" sometime. There are pros and cons
to top-posting; to my mind, the most annoying thing about it is that
it seems to draw comments from people who seriously lack perspective.

Hamish

Jimmy Verner wrote:
> Sounds like I'm not welcome on this list.  Go hassle someone else.
> Goodbye.

A bit sensitive, no?
I was actually defending you.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas

> Jimmy Verner
> www.vernerlegal.com

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Beau Wilkinson
>> Sounds like I'm not welcome on this list.  Go hassle someone else.
>> Goodbye.
>A bit sensitive, no?
>I was actually defending you.

With the mix of top and bottom posting, it's difficult to tell who's talking to whom. My preference would be for a forum or email system that enforces one or the other. I don't really care which; what I really dislike is anything that's on the honor system. One way or the other ought to be enforced by the tools wherever possible. Too often the "wrong way" becomes little more than a straw man for mockery ("he didn't call 'MARSHALL(_widgelet_)' at the end of his method... ha! what an idiot").

The sad result of this misunderstanding is that the world will just have to do without the "Texas State Probation Officer Visit Scheduler App," "Texas Death Penalty Last Meal Expense Calculator," etc.

The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named.  If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete any copies from your system.

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Jean-Denis Muys-3

On Aug 5, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Hamish Allan wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Jean-Denis
> Muys<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy.
>
> You need to look up the word "evil" sometime.

No I don't (even though I don't speak English natively). If you google
"top posting evil" you will realize that "evil" has been associated
with "top posting" for longer than I can remember.

Jean-Denis

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Jean-Denis Muys<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No I don't (even though I don't speak English natively). If you google
> "top posting evil" you will realize that "evil" has been associated
> with "top posting" for longer than I can remember.

And Natalie Portman has been associated with hot grits for longer than
I care to remember. An appeal to the intarwebz does not a point make.

Hamish

On Aug 7, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Hamish Allan wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Jean-Denis Muys<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> No I don't (even though I don't speak English natively). If you
>> google
>> "top posting evil" you will realize that "evil" has been associated
>> with "top posting" for longer than I can remember.
>
> And Natalie Portman has been associated with hot grits for longer than
> I care to remember. An appeal to the intarwebz does not a point make.
>
> Hamish

The point is made many times by many of those references found with
Google.
and the appeal to the web clearly invalidates the claim that I don't
know the meaning of evil, at least in this context.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Jean-Denis Muys<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The point is made many times by many of those references found with
> Google.
> and the appeal to the web clearly invalidates the claim that I don't
> know the meaning of evil, at least in this context.

I'm sure I can find a million references claiming that Yahweh is the
one true god, and a million more claiming that there is no god but
Allah. Don't confuse quantity with quality.

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Teg-3

Bottom posters are the evil ones. Why force everyone to scroll to read
what you wrote? You'd think that as programmers, you could keep track of
the fact that "lower = older".

People who complain about top posting are the worst. Honestly how can
someone with a life, really care one way or the other? If you can't
figure our where someone posted, maybe it's time to give the Internet
a rest?

Saturday, August 8, 2009, 3:15:01 PM, you wrote:

HA> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Jean-Denis Muys<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The point is made many times by many of those references found with
>> Google.
>> and the appeal to the web clearly invalidates the claim that I don't
>> know the meaning of evil, at least in this context.

HA> I'm sure I can find a million references claiming that Yahweh is the
HA> one true god, and a million more claiming that there is no god but
HA> Allah. Don't confuse quantity with quality.

Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

J. King-3
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 12:50:15 -0400, Jean-Denis Muys <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy. That said...

My impression has long been that top-posting is common and largely
unavoidable here, and no matter the benefits of what we would consider
"proper" quoting style, there is clearly no convincing the die-hards.  I
pretty much only lurk here, but it seems like everyone once in a while
someone gets sick of the top-posting and tries to educate those doing the
evil deed, but it never amounts to anything.

The greater distraction for me, though, and one which gives the
top-posting argument a certain level of credibility here, is that some
people on this list don't seem to have the habit of trimming messages.
When I -do- see messages which are interleaved there's often lots and lots
of junk at the bottom, and that's a shame.

I just roll with it, though, and I would suggest you do the same: it's
really not worth the aggravation.

--
J. King

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Dr. David Kirkby
J. King wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 12:50:15 -0400, Jean-Denis Muys <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy. That said...
>
> My impression has long been that top-posting is common and largely
> unavoidable here, and no matter the benefits of what we would consider
> "proper" quoting style, there is clearly no convincing the die-hards.  I
> pretty much only lurk here, but it seems like everyone once in a while
> someone gets sick of the top-posting and tries to educate those doing the
> evil deed, but it never amounts to anything.
>
> The greater distraction for me, though, and one which gives the
> top-posting argument a certain level of credibility here, is that some
> people on this list don't seem to have the habit of trimming messages.
> When I -do- see messages which are interleaved there's often lots and lots
> of junk at the bottom, and that's a shame.
>
> I just roll with it, though, and I would suggest you do the same: it's
> really not worth the aggravation.

I hate top-posters myself. What is worst though is  combination of
top-posting and bottom-posting on the same thread.

I think the situation is compounded by the fact some tools like Outlook
I believe, do top-posting by default.

It would be good if a program like 'mailman' which is used for some
mailing lists, could actually detect top-posting and reject it
automatically, with a message back to the sender, explaining why.

Dave

Re: "Bad CPU type in executable"?

Jim Showalter-4
I really really hate top-posting.