"SQLite" Pronunciation

Frederick Wasti
OK, how does one pronounce "SQLite"? "see-kwel-lite"? "ess-kyoo-lite"?
"ess-kyoo-ell-lite"? "see-kwel-ite"? "ess-kyoo-ell-ite"? Or...?

I guess, to some extent, it may depend on whether one pronounces (or
mispronounces) "SQL" as "see-kwel" or as "ess-kyoo-ell".

I think I read someplace that the author of SQLite pronounced it as
"ess-kyoo-ell-ite". (?) I couldn't find any pronunciation mentioned on
sqlite.org.

Is there a consensus here? (Yes, I know that pronunciation matters little
on a mailing list.)

Gee, "see-plus-plus", "emm-eff-see", and "boost" (etc.) are all a lot
easier (to pronounce, anyway - <grin>).

Fred

Re: "SQLite" Pronunciation

Kevin Benson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_YdMdjVpU
         --Ô¿Ô--
        K e V i N

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, how does one pronounce "SQLite"? "see-kwel-lite"? "ess-kyoo-lite"?
> "ess-kyoo-ell-lite"? "see-kwel-ite"? "ess-kyoo-ell-ite"? Or...?
>
> I guess, to some extent, it may depend on whether one pronounces (or
> mispronounces) "SQL" as "see-kwel" or as "ess-kyoo-ell".
>
> I think I read someplace that the author of SQLite pronounced it as
> "ess-kyoo-ell-ite". (?) I couldn't find any pronunciation mentioned on
> sqlite.org.
>
> Is there a consensus here? (Yes, I know that pronunciation matters little
> on a mailing list.)
>
> Gee, "see-plus-plus", "emm-eff-see", and "boost" (etc.) are all a lot
> easier (to pronounce, anyway - <grin>).
>
> Fred

Re: "SQLite" Pronunciation

Simon Slavin-3

On 27 Feb 2013, at 11:39pm, Kevin Benson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_YdMdjVpU

Heh.  I can't think of a more 'cannonical' source.  I've been doing it wrong, but I can't remember the last time I spoke the word out loud so it doesn't matter.

Re: "SQLite" Pronunciation

Jay Kreibich
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 06:28:03PM -0500, [hidden email] scratched on the wall:

> I guess, to some extent, it may depend on whether one pronounces (or
> mispronounces) "SQL" as "see-kwel" or as "ess-kyoo-ell".

  As I understand it, the "ess-cue-ell" pronunciation is part of
  the ISO standard for SQL.

> Is there a consensus here? (Yes, I know that pronunciation matters little
> on a mailing list.)

  If you want to be real formal, it does (which means, for a mailing
  list, I guess it doesn't).

  When I was working on "Using SQLite" I got into a discussion with my
  editor about the usage "an SQL statement" vs "a SQL statement." (or
  "an SQLite database"... it goes on an on).

  We ended up going with "an SQL..." because it is more correct for the
  "ess-cue-ell" pronunciation.

   -j

--
Jay A. Kreibich < J A Y  @  K R E I B I.C H >

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
 but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
 feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson

Re: "SQLite" Pronunciation

Simon Slavin-3

On 28 Feb 2013, at 7:02pm, "Jay A. Kreibich" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 06:28:03PM -0500, [hidden email] scratched on the wall:
>
>> I guess, to some extent, it may depend on whether one pronounces (or
>> mispronounces) "SQL" as "see-kwel" or as "ess-kyoo-ell".
>
>  As I understand it, the "ess-cue-ell" pronunciation is part of
>  the ISO standard for SQL.

Database professionals have been pronouncing it as 'sequel' ('see kwel') for years.  They might be seen as 'the old guard' and ISO as the young standardisers fighting against them.  I don't know.  First paragraph of first answer:

<http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/SQL_FAQ#What_is_SQL_and_where_does_it_come_from.3F>

Pronunciation is a problem with IT professionals because they get much of their information from written sources.  In fact I have used half a dozen computing technologies where I've never heard their names pronounced.  Perhaps technical English is getting more like German, which is a written language which people try to talk, rather than English, which is a spoken language which people try to write down.

I was once asked whether Ministers of Parliament were shouting "here here" or "hear hear" and I didn't have a clue.  I had to look it up in Hansard.  And even now I know the answer I don't know how the cry originated.

Re: "SQLite" Pronunciation

Ned Fleming
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 19:21:16 +0000, Simon Slavin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I was once asked whether Ministers of Parliament were shouting "here here" or "hear hear" and I didn't have a clue.  I had to look it up in Hansard.  And even now I know the answer I don't know how the cry originated.

It's "Hear! Hear!" as in "Hear him! Hear him!"

When IBM brought out SCSI, they initially pronounced it "sexy" and
wanted it that way, but somebody thought of "scuzzy" and that's what
caught fire with people.

--
Ned

Re: "SQLite" Pronunciation

James K. Lowden
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:28:03 -0500
[hidden email] wrote:

> OK, how does one pronounce "SQLite"? "see-kwel-lite"? "ess-kyoo-lite"?
> "ess-kyoo-ell-lite"? "see-kwel-ite"? "ess-kyoo-ell-ite"? Or...?

I was going to answer S-Q-L-lite because it's definitely "S-Q-L", but I
admit to saying "sequelite" because it's easier to say.

Then I had to ask myself on whose say-so is "S-Q-L" correct, in any
sense?  I found this:

http://patorjk.com/blog/2012/01/26/pronouncing-sql-s-q-l-or-sequel/

I occurs to me that SQL came from IBM, an organization fond of
acronymns.  If you lived in the land of SNA, LU6.2, CICS, MVS, and
IMS, you would probably pronounce it S-Q-L.  (Although I knew
Englishmen who called CICS "kicks".)

> Gee, "see-plus-plus", "emm-eff-see", and "boost" (etc.) are all a lot
> easier (to pronounce, anyway - <grin>).

Sure, but how do you say "strstr(3)"?  ;-)

--jkl