"Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

"Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Nelson, Erik - 2
Richard Hipp Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:41 PM

> http://engineering.microsoft.com/2015/10/29/sqlite-in-windows-10/

Congratulations!

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer.   If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Ned Fleming
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:41:28 -0500, Richard Hipp
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>http://engineering.microsoft.com/2015/10/29/sqlite-in-windows-10/

Wow! High praise -- which you deserve.

--

Ned

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Stephen Chrzanowski
Wicked.  Congrats!

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://engineering.microsoft.com/2015/10/29/sqlite-in-windows-10/
>
> --
> D. Richard Hipp

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

RichardR
What no love for their own Access DB?  <snickers>

Congrats!

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://engineering.microsoft.com/2015/10/29/sqlite-in-windows-10/
>
> --
> D. Richard Hipp
This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Warren Young-2
On Nov 10, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Rousselot, Richard A <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What no love for their own Access DB?  <snickers>

This from the same company that gave us ODBC, ESQL, OLE DB, MDAC/Jet, DAO, RDO, ADO, ADO.NET, ADO Entity Framework, LINQ, the registry, Access, SQL Server Express…

  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee730343.aspx

Giving developers yet another DBMS or API for a DBMS is kinda what Microsoft does. :)

Microsoft is finally getting to a place Apple’s been since 2005.

(SQLite first shipped with OS X Tiger, and has shipped on every iDevice.)

I don’t mean to be dismissive.  Obviously getting SQLite into Windows is a great thing.  It’s just that it would have been even nicer a decade ago.  I love that Nadella’s Microsoft is giving up on NIH.

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Bart Smissaert
Will MS add a connection to SQLite from VBA?

RBS
On 10 Nov 2015 8:46 pm, "Warren Young" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Rousselot, Richard A <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > What no love for their own Access DB?  <snickers>
>
> This from the same company that gave us ODBC, ESQL, OLE DB, MDAC/Jet, DAO,
> RDO, ADO, ADO.NET, ADO Entity Framework, LINQ, the registry, Access, SQL
> Server Express…
>
>   https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee730343.aspx
>
> Giving developers yet another DBMS or API for a DBMS is kinda what
> Microsoft does. :)
>
> Microsoft is finally getting to a place Apple’s been since 2005.
>
> (SQLite first shipped with OS X Tiger, and has shipped on every iDevice.)
>
> I don’t mean to be dismissive.  Obviously getting SQLite into Windows is a
> great thing.  It’s just that it would have been even nicer a decade ago.  I
> love that Nadella’s Microsoft is giving up on NIH.

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Keith Christian-2
A great thing for Windows users.

My only caveat is: Beware corporate pressure.  Stay Free.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://engineering.microsoft.com/2015/10/29/sqlite-in-windows-10/
>
> --
> D. Richard Hipp

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

John McKown
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Keith Christian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> A great thing for Windows users.
>
> My only caveat is: Beware corporate pressure.  Stay Free.

​I agree. I'm not any kind of MS fan. I simply don't trust them _at all_.
They like to "embrace" ... "extend" ... "eliminate". ​

​They tried it with Java, but got pushed back. And basically "retaliated"
by making Java a real PITA under Windows.

Disclaimer: I'm a GNU/Linux bigot & FSF associate member.​

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Christian Werner
On 11/10/2015 08:41 PM, Richard Hipp wrote:

> http://engineering.microsoft.com/2015/10/29/sqlite-in-windows-10/

Congratulations!

When SQLite is the spoon, will they give us Linux binary compatibility for the fork?

I wonder what the knife will be ;-)

--
Christian Werner

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Bernardo Sulzbach
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Christian Werner
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wonder what the knife will be ;-)

Maybe there is no knife this time. Just kidding.

But yeah, kudos for R. Hipp and everyone that contributed to the project.

--
Bernardo Sulzbach

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Scott Robison-2
On Nov 10, 2015 2:19 PM, "John McKown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Keith Christian <
[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > A great thing for Windows users.
> >
> > My only caveat is: Beware corporate pressure.  Stay Free.
> >

> ​I agree. I'm not any kind of MS fan. I simply don't trust them _at all_.
> They like to "embrace" ... "extend" ... "eliminate". ​

Considering that SQLite is public domain, they could take the code and do
anything they want with it. Well, most of it, not counting things like SEE
& CEROD. I don't think there is any conceivable way this is bad or
worrisome news.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Scott Robison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2015 2:19 PM, "John McKown" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Keith Christian <
> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > A great thing for Windows users.
>> >
>> > My only caveat is: Beware corporate pressure.  Stay Free.
>> >

>> I agree. I'm not any kind of MS fan. I simply don't trust them _at all_.
>> They like to "embrace" ... "extend" ... "eliminate".
>
> Considering that SQLite is public domain, they could take the code and do
> anything they want with it. Well, most of it, not counting things like SEE
> & CEROD. I don't think there is any conceivable way this is bad or
> worrisome news.

Scott,

Right.  On second thought, it was probably was a silly comment.

SQLite is an integral part in numerous other commercial software systems.

Keith

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Richard Hipp-3
On 11/10/15, Keith Christian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SQLite is an integral part in numerous other commercial software systems.

Many of which even I don't know about :-)

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Jay Kreibich

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 2:45 PM, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 10, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Rousselot, Richard A <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What no love for their own Access DB?  <snickers>
>
> This from the same company that gave us ODBC, ESQL, OLE DB, MDAC/Jet, DAO, RDO, ADO, ADO.NET, ADO Entity Framework, LINQ, the registry, Access, SQL Server Express…

I want to be a Certified SQLite Professional.

  -j

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Tim Uy
Exactly. How does this happen?

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Jay Kreibich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Nov 10, 2015, at 2:45 PM, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On Nov 10, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Rousselot, Richard A <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> What no love for their own Access DB?  <snickers>
> >
> > This from the same company that gave us ODBC, ESQL, OLE DB, MDAC/Jet,
> DAO, RDO, ADO, ADO.NET, ADO Entity Framework, LINQ, the registry, Access,
> SQL Server Express…
>
> I want to be a Certified SQLite Professional.
>
>   -j

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

Simon Slavin-3

On 10 Nov 2015, at 11:53pm, Tim Uy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Jay Kreibich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I want to be a Certified SQLite Professional.
>
> Exactly. How does this happen?

If you'd each like to send me a check for five thousand dollars and take a short online test I will be happy to send you your certificates.

On 11/10/15, Jay Kreibich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to be a Certified SQLite Professional.

The inventors and developers of the SQLite database engine to all to
whom these presents may come, Greetings:  Whereas Mr. Jay Kreibich has
exhibited detailed knowledge of the use and inner workings of SQLite
by publishing an outstanding textbook on that subject, we do hereby
confirm unto him the title of

        Certified SQLite Professional

with all the rights, honors, and duties thereunto appertaining.  In
witness whereof, the electronic signature of the BDLF of SQLite is
hereto subscribed.  Given in Charlotte on this the tenth day of
November and in the year of our Lord two thousand and fifteen.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Richard Hipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The inventors and developers of the SQLite database engine to all to
> whom these presents may come, Greetings:  Whereas Mr. Jay Kreibich has
> exhibited detailed knowledge of the use and inner workings of SQLite
> by publishing an outstanding textbook on that subject, we do hereby
> confirm unto him the title of
>
>         Certified SQLite Professional

Not only that, but the #1 Certified SQLite Professional.

--
Bernardo Sulzbach
ajm

Re: "Shipping a New Mindset" - SQLite in Windows 10

ajm

Congratulations to all the team. A great praise coming from M$.

A great notice to all us who write Windows. And a final prayer to MS: add an extension to use it from JavaScript.

--
Adolfo J. Millan