sqldiff nowadays

MM

sqldiff nowadays

MM
Hello,
I can see sqldiff appearing here:

https://www.sqlite.org/sqldiff.html

and in the downloads page as part of a linux 32bit binary package.
Alas I don't see any 64bit package.

Given a distro-installed 64bit sqlite binary and libs, which part of the
sources would 1 need to download only sqldiff and build only that, in 64bit
as well.

Rds,
MM

Re: sqldiff nowadays

Richard Hipp-3
On 3/22/16, MM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I can see sqldiff appearing here:
>
> https://www.sqlite.org/sqldiff.html
>
> and in the downloads page as part of a linux 32bit binary package.
> Alas I don't see any 64bit package.

The 32bit binaries will run fine on 64bit machines.

> Given a distro-installed 64bit sqlite binary and libs, which part of the
> sources would 1 need to download only sqldiff and build only that, in 64bit
> as well.

Download the canonical source code distro and type:

     ./configure; make sqldiff

Re: sqldiff nowadays

Matthias-Christian Ott
On 22/03/16 11:49, Richard Hipp wrote:

> On 3/22/16, MM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I can see sqldiff appearing here:
>>
>> https://www.sqlite.org/sqldiff.html
>>
>> and in the downloads page as part of a linux 32bit binary package.
>> Alas I don't see any 64bit package.
>
> The 32bit binaries will run fine on 64bit machines.

That's not true for some GNU/Linux distributions which do not include
the necessary libraries to save disk space and make updates shorter.

That is not to say that sqldiff should have such prebuilt binaries. It's
safer in many respects to just compile and package it yourself.

- Matthias-Christian

Re: sqldiff nowadays

decalek
On 2016-03-22 13:49, Richard Hipp wrote:

> On 3/22/16, MM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I can see sqldiff appearing here:
>>
>> https://www.sqlite.org/sqldiff.html
>>
>> and in the downloads page as part of a linux 32bit binary package.
>> Alas I don't see any 64bit package.
>
> The 32bit binaries will run fine on 64bit machines.
>

>> Given a distro-installed 64bit sqlite binary and libs, which part of the
>> sources would 1 need to download only sqldiff and build only that, in 64bit
>> as well.
>>

> Download the canonical source code distro and type:
>
>       ./configure; make sqldiff

In addition to the universal advice above, if you are not only
interested in getting the tool working once, but also in _future_
sustainable support and consistency delivered for you by your OS
distributor, please tell us which Linux distribution you are using.

Then other (more experienced) same distro users on the list eventually
will be able to point you to the appropriate procedure and contacts, so
the system sqlite package to be extended with sqldiff for all distro users.

If, by chance, you are on something Fedora based, I could give you some
hints how to help our lead maintainer - Jan Stanek with the package
enhancement myself.

Regards,
Alek

MM

Re: sqldiff nowadays

MM
On 22 March 2016 at 13:28, Alek Paunov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2016-03-22 13:49, Richard Hipp wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/16, MM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I can see sqldiff appearing here:
>>>
>>> https://www.sqlite.org/sqldiff.html
>>>
>>> and in the downloads page as part of a linux 32bit binary package.
>>> Alas I don't see any 64bit package.
>>>

>> The 32bit binaries will run fine on 64bit machines.
>>

>>> Given a distro-installed 64bit sqlite binary and libs, which part of the
>>> sources would 1 need to download only sqldiff and build only that, in
>>> 64bit
>>> as well.
>>>

>> Download the canonical source code distro and type:
>>
>>       ./configure; make sqldiff
>>

> In addition to the universal advice above, if you are not only interested
> in getting the tool working once, but also in _future_ sustainable support
> and consistency delivered for you by your OS distributor, please tell us
> which Linux distribution you are using.
>
> Then other (more experienced) same distro users on the list eventually
> will be able to point you to the appropriate procedure and contacts, so the
> system sqlite package to be extended with sqldiff for all distro users.
>
> If, by chance, you are on something Fedora based, I could give you some
> hints how to help our lead maintainer - Jan Stanek with the package
> enhancement myself.
>
> Regards,
> Alek
>
> Indeed, I am using fedora 23. I have the following rpms installed (though
we are getting a bit out of scope for this list I suppose):

sqlite-libs-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
sqlite-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
sqlite-analyzer-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
sqlite-doc-3.11.0-3.fc23.noarch
sqlite-devel-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64

none of them has sqldiff.

thanks

MM

Re: sqldiff nowadays

decalek
Hi MM,

Sorry for the late replay - I usually manage to check the list only once
a day :-(.

On 2016-03-22 16:05, MM wrote:

>> If, by chance, you are on something Fedora based, I could give you some
>> hints how to help our lead maintainer - Jan Stanek with the package
>> enhancement myself.

> Indeed, I am using fedora 23. I have the following rpms installed (though
> we are getting a bit out of scope for this list I suppose):

Great - Let's try to sort the issue out then!

Definitely it is not out of scope - At least with the goal of offloading
the core sqlite team in mind, we should explain how the Linux
distributions works, so future _packaging_ issues to be addressed to
appropriate bug trackers instead of bothering upstream directly (i.e.
this list).

> sqlite-libs-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
> sqlite-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
> sqlite-analyzer-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
> sqlite-doc-3.11.0-3.fc23.noarch
> sqlite-devel-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
>
> none of them has sqldiff.

I am aware of that - I have tried to make a remark above that we (the
interested sqlite/fedora users) should try to assist our package
maintainer (Jan Stanek) with the inclusion of the tool.

As first step, I prepared a test package set with added sqldiff - To
test you could try:

dnf -y copr enable decalek/sqlite.tools
dnf -y install sqlite-tools

If it works for you, I will try to enumerate the tasks need to be done,
so the tool to be included in the main Fedora package repositories.

Regards,
Alek

MM

Re: sqldiff nowadays

MM
On 23 March 2016 at 15:53, Alek Paunov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi MM,
>
> Sorry for the late replay - I usually manage to check the list only once a
> day :-(.
>
> On 2016-03-22 16:05, MM wrote:
>
> If, by chance, you are on something Fedora based, I could give you some
>>> hints how to help our lead maintainer - Jan Stanek with the package
>>> enhancement myself.

>> Indeed, I am using fedora 23. I have the following rpms installed (though
>> we are getting a bit out of scope for this list I suppose):
>>

> Great - Let's try to sort the issue out then!
>
> Definitely it is not out of scope - At least with the goal of offloading
> the core sqlite team in mind, we should explain how the Linux distributions
> works, so future _packaging_ issues to be addressed to appropriate bug
> trackers instead of bothering upstream directly (i.e. this list).
>

>> sqlite-libs-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
>> sqlite-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
>> sqlite-analyzer-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
>> sqlite-doc-3.11.0-3.fc23.noarch
>> sqlite-devel-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
>>
>> none of them has sqldiff.
>>

> I am aware of that - I have tried to make a remark above that we (the
> interested sqlite/fedora users) should try to assist our package maintainer
> (Jan Stanek) with the inclusion of the tool.
>
> As first step, I prepared a test package set with added sqldiff - To test
> you could try:
>
> dnf -y copr enable decalek/sqlite.tools
> dnf -y install sqlite-tools
>
> If it works for you, I will try to enumerate the tasks need to be done, so
> the tool to be included in the main Fedora package repositories.
>

> Regards,
> Alek

After a very long delay,   I installed sqlite-tools and tested it on a db I
had. It works great.
I tested both with the --schema option and without. The SQL generated is
correct.

A litte note is a suffix of the RPM package:      sqldiff.1

>> rpm -qa | grep sqlite
sqlite-libs-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
sqlite-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
sqlitebrowser-3.8.0-1.fc23.x86_64
sqlite-analyzer-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64
sqlite-doc-3.11.0-3.fc23.noarch
sqlite-tools-3.11.0-3.0.sqldiff.1.fc23.x86_64
sqlite-devel-3.11.0-3.fc23.x86_64