sqlite - AIX memory fault coredupm when using .output command [WARNING! - EXTERNAL]

sqlite - AIX memory fault coredupm when using .output command [WARNING! - EXTERNAL]

Dawson, Jeff G
Hello,

We are running sqlite version below on AX 7.2 TL 1.  We have a database around 430MB and was trying to export the contents to a file shown below, done this with other databases but it seems there is some type of limitation possibly with the version of sqlite we are running?  We did open a ticket with IBM which looked at the core dump and said it was on the application side, sqlite.   We ended up doing 3 select statements using a unique number to pull files of about 500k of rows to finally clear the table.  Wanted to see if anyone has come across this type of issue before.

SQLite version 3.7.14.1 2012-10-04 19:37:12
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> select count(*) from EpicADT;
1457871
sqlite> .output finalAllHospTable.txt
sqlite> select * from EpicADT ORDER BY acctNum;
Memory fault(coredump)

iscax_testcis02@hci (/cistest/cis6.2/integrator/sqlLiteDbs/JGD)
/>ls -altr
total 1378760
-rw-r--r--    1 hci      staff     436788224 Oct 29 15:46 EpicADT_PROD1TBL.db
drwxrwxr-x   20 hci      staff          4096 Oct 29 15:48 ..
-rw-rw-r--    1 hci      staff             0 Oct 29 15:48 finalAllHospTable.txt
drwxrwxr-x    2 hci      staff           256 Oct 29 15:49 .
-rw-rw-r--    1 hci      staff     269121503 Oct 29 15:49 core

Table schema

sqlite> .schema
CREATE TABLE EpicADT (msgDT TEXT, msgID TEXT, hosp TEXT, FirstName TEXT, MI TEXT, LastName TEXT, DOB TEXT, Gender TEXT, pt

AIX Power 8 + server 16 cpu's running

/>ulimit -a
time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         unlimited
stack(kbytes)        unlimited
memory(kbytes)       unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
nofiles(descriptors) 20000
threads(per process) unlimited
processes(per user)  unlimited

Thanks,
Jeff

WARNING! – This email is from an external sender.  Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the sender.  Never give out your username and password.

Re: sqlite - AIX memory fault coredupm when using .output command [WARNING! - EXTERNAL]

Warren Young
On Oct 29, 2019, at 2:56 PM, Dawson, Jeff G <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SQLite version 3.7.14.1 2012-10-04 19:37:12

I infer that you’re migrating a legacy system.  There are two good alternatives to your current method that should avoid the symptom entirely:

1. Build a current version of SQLite for the old AIX system and try the dump with that instead.  It should read that old file just fine.

2. Copy the SQLite DB to the new system and work with it there.  If you’re moving away from both AIX and SQLite, you can do the dump on the modern system with a current version of SQLite, which should work much better.  If you’re sticking with SQLite on the new system, you don’t need the dump at all; just use the copied file on the new system.

If it happens that either path also crashes, you’re far more likely to get a fix for it than for this greatly outdated version of SQLite.

If you get another core dump with either alternative conversion path, please include the backtrace.