sqlite and webhosts -SOLVED

thirdshiftcoder
thanks john and clay-

it is good to know i have an option that works if i
need it.  i think people can actually save a little
money that way.  some hosts will offer php at a lower
price per month without the mysql db .  when you
upgrade to get a mysql db included it costs more.  or
you could just use xhtml and cgi and forget php.

i am still checking around to see if someone will let
me use it with php.  olm.net is checking into it and
said try back in a couple of weeks and ask again.
they are testing php5 right now on their system.

i bookmarked the cgi library page in case i need it in
the future.

now i might have 2 options at different prices to
choose from.

thanks again,
jim

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: sqlite and webhosts -SOLVED

John LeSueur
Jim McNamara wrote:

>thanks john and clay-
>
>it is good to know i have an option that works if i
>need it.  i think people can actually save a little
>money that way.  some hosts will offer php at a lower
>price per month without the mysql db .  when you
>upgrade to get a mysql db included it costs more.  or
>you could just use xhtml and cgi and forget php.
>
>i am still checking around to see if someone will let
>me use it with php.  olm.net is checking into it and
>said try back in a couple of weeks and ask again.
>they are testing php5 right now on their system.
>
>i bookmarked the cgi library page in case i need it in
>the future.
>
>now i might have 2 options at different prices to
>choose from.
>
>thanks again,
>jim
>

>__________________________________
>http://mail.yahoo.com

PHP 5 also builds by default with the sqlite library built in. So if
your webhost didn't strip it out, then it's there. try phpinfo() to see
what modules are available. If sqlite is in the list, then you can
create databases  with the sqlite_open() function. To see more, go to
php.net/sqlite.

John LeSueur

Re: sqlite and webhosts -SOLVED

John Stanton-3
I think you miss the point about Sqlite.  It is just a part of your CGI
program - you don't need any help from the ISP, just a directory with
enough disk space for the Sqlite file.   For a modestly sized web
application it is a great way of handling your data.

If you are using PHP you just need to know that it has Sqlite
incorporated, which I believe is standard these days.
JS

--- John Stanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think you miss the point about Sqlite.  It is just
> a part of your CGI
> program - you don't need any help from the ISP, just
> a directory with
> enough disk space for the Sqlite file.   For a
> modestly sized web
> application it is a great way of handling your data.
>
> If you are using PHP you just need to know that it
> has Sqlite
> incorporated, which I believe is standard these
> days.
> JS

Hi John LeSueur and John Stanton-

the account doesnt come with php5 installed by default
so i have to custom compile it and add it to my
account.  if php5 was set up for shared hosting
automatically at this host, then i could just
dynamically load it using the php.ini file (if it was
available). but since i will be compiling it
anyways....

It is interesting to note however if i can have
permission to custom compile it, a webhost who is
offering it could also compile php5.  They may not
offer sqlite in the version they compiled for everyone
to use. Not everyone may have this ability to custom
compile using ssh with their host.  Why anyone would
do this to their customers i have no idea.  This is
part of what i needed to find out.  olm.net wouldnt
give me a definitive answer one way or the other for a
couple of weeks. i may wait around for their answer.
so there is maybe a weeding out process of some things
"that are included" depending on who you are dealing
with.  like you say though i hope and it will probably
be standard.

i.e.
First, open a troble ticket to support department with
request to enable SSH access for your account and add
your username to the group compiler.

Then do the following to compile PHP 5:
etc. etc. bunch of instructions go here
when i compile php5 i will include this option
--with-sqlite

so i now have a webhost(s) to use and the instructions
on how to do it.

thanks for all your help :-)

jim

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs