sqlite3 file as database

s.movaseghi
Hello dears
I have a database file as database.db3 but I have to use database.sqlite3 .
How can I convert the db3 file to sqlite3 file?
Thanks for your help
sanam

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Gerry Snyder-4
Have you tried simply renaming the file?
On Sep 12, 2015 8:29 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dears
> I have a database file as database.db3 but I have to use database.sqlite3 .
> How can I convert the db3 file to sqlite3 file?
> Thanks for your help
> sanam

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Jim Callahan
sanam
If renaming the file does not work; then use whatever package that can read
the file to read  it in and write it back out as a comma or tab delimited
file.

In the SQLite command line interface (CLI, implemented as SQLite3.exe) one
can:
"Use the ".import" command to import CSV (comma separated value) data into
an SQLite table.
... Note that it is important to set the "mode" to "csv" before running the
".import" command. This is necessary to prevent the command-line shell from
trying to interpret the input file text as some other format.

sqlite> *.mode csv*
sqlite> *.import C:/work/somedata.csv tab1*

https://www.sqlite.org/cli.html

Jim

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 8:19 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dears
> I have a database file as database.db3 but I have to use database.sqlite3 .
> How can I convert the db3 file to sqlite3 file?
> Thanks for your help
> sanam

Re: sqlite3 file as database

On 12 Sep 2015, at 1:19pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have a database file as database.db3 but I have to use database.sqlite3 .
> How can I convert the db3 file to sqlite3 file?

If it is actually a SQLite database already then just rename the file.  SQLite does not care what the file is called.

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Drago, William @ CSG - NARDA-MITEQ
Why do people use .db3 for sqlite database files? In my experience .db3 is the file extension for dBase III database files.

--
Bill Drago
Staff Engineer

CONFIDENTIALITY, EXPORT CONTROL AND DISCLAIMER NOTE:This e-mail and any attachments are solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. Any disclosure, use or distribution of the information contained herein is prohibited. In the event this e-mail contains technical data within the definition of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations or Export Administration Regulations, it is subject to the export control laws of the U.S.Government. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses as L-3 does not accept any liability associated with the transmission of this e-mail. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and any attachments.

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Stephen Chrzanowski
That is the default extension for DBaseIII, but I've not heard any windows
or linux or mac system of the past 10 years have anything to do with a
DBaseIII files.  There may be edge cases for old accounting applications,
but it is such old technology, I do doubt it is in use for anything of new
importance in a business situation.

Anything I code with SQLite I do use DB3 as the file extension, simply
because it associates that it is a database file and that it is for SQLite
3.  Just personal convention.  I typically mentally reserve *.SQL as text
files, and have my compiler build resource files based on the contents of
those text files.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Drago, William @ CSG - NARDA-MITEQ <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why do people use .db3 for sqlite database files? In my experience .db3 is
> the file extension for dBase III database files.
>
> --
> Bill Drago
> Staff Engineer
> L3 Narda-MITEQ
> 435 Moreland Road
> Hauppauge, NY 11788
> 631-272-5947 / [hidden email]

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Stephen Chrzanowski
I also should mention that before anyone harps about DB3 being reserved for
DBaseIII, *.SQL appears to be a common thing for not only Structured Query
Language, but also "Squish message base lastread pointers" --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabetical_list_of_filename_extensions_%28S%E2%80%93Z%29

There are many extensions of the same .. err..
name(?)...value(?)..structure(?) that are completely different things.

Look at .DAT files.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Stephen Chrzanowski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That is the default extension for DBaseIII, but I've not heard any windows
> or linux or mac system of the past 10 years have anything to do with a
> DBaseIII files.  There may be edge cases for old accounting applications,
> but it is such old technology, I do doubt it is in use for anything of new
> importance in a business situation.
>
> Anything I code with SQLite I do use DB3 as the file extension, simply
> because it associates that it is a database file and that it is for SQLite
> 3.  Just personal convention.  I typically mentally reserve *.SQL as text
> files, and have my compiler build resource files based on the contents of
> those text files.
>

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Drago, William @ CSG - NARDA-MITEQ <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why do people use .db3 for sqlite database files? In my experience .db3
>> is the file extension for dBase III database files.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Drago
>> Staff Engineer
>> L3 Narda-MITEQ
>> 435 Moreland Road
>> Hauppauge, NY 11788
>> 631-272-5947 / [hidden email]

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Tim Streater-3
On 14 Sep 2015 at 15:07, William Drago <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why do people use .db3 for sqlite database files? In my experience .db3 is the
> file extension for dBase III database files.

I don't use any extension at all for SQLite databases. In any case, for the majority of them, the user chooses the name and they have no need to know that it's an SQLite database.

--
Cheers  --  Tim

Re: sqlite3 file as database

On 14 Sep 2015, at 3:38pm, Stephen Chrzanowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *.SQL appears to be a common thing for not only Structured Query
> Language, but also "Squish message base lastread pointers" --

Whatever the heck that is.

I use *.SQL for text files which contain SQL commands, including the ones the SQLite tool generates from '.dump'.

I don't have a good answer about what extension to use for SQLite databases.  At the moment I seem to favour using the extension '.sqlite' but I'd be hard pressed to make an argument for it.  I wonder what I'll do when SQLite4 comes along.

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Brian Willner
Microsoft security best practices is never to name anything .db  They
recommend obfuscating the function of the file and putting some strange or
random (.bob) file extension.  This is for when you have an active
intrusion, you are not handing them what to take on a silver platter.  You
could argue the same applies to SQLite file naming conventions as well.

> Why do people use .db3 for sqlite database files? In my experience
> .db3 is the file extension for dBase III database files.

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Simon Slavin-3

On 14 Sep 2015, at 5:48pm, Brian Willner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You
> could argue the same applies to SQLite file naming conventions as well.

May work for Windows.  On the Mac (and other forms of Unix) the 'file' command looks at the file header and, thanks to SQLite's consistent file headers, will identify it for you:

178:~ simon$ sqlite3 ~/Desktop/test
SQLite version 3.8.10.2 2015-05-20 18:17:19
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> CREATE TABLE a(b INT);
sqlite> .quit

178:~ simon$ file ~/Desktop/test
/Users/simon/Desktop/test: SQLite 3.x database
178:~ simon$

Re: sqlite3 file as database

R Smith

On 2015-09-14 04:07 PM, Drago, William @ CSG - NARDA-MITEQ wrote:
> Why do people use .db3 for sqlite database files? In my experience .db3 is the file extension for dBase III database files.

Might I add here that if I re-read the OP's question, it might actually
be that he had a DBIII file which he wanted to export to SQlite, and
maybe not a .db3 file that was already an sqlite file.

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Jean-Christophe Deschamps-3
I've decided to use .sq3 ; I'm mainly under Windows where a dedicated
extension is pretty handy to launch a DB manager and sq3 doesn't seem
to collide with much things around and leaves ample room for sq4, sq5, ...

--
jcd

Re: sqlite3 file as database

R Smith

On 2015-09-14 06:17 PM, Simon Slavin wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2015, at 3:38pm, Stephen Chrzanowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> *.SQL appears to be a common thing for not only Structured Query
>> Language, but also "Squish message base lastread pointers" --
> Whatever the heck that is.
>
> I use *.SQL for text files which contain SQL commands, including the ones the SQLite tool generates from '.dump'.
>
> I don't have a good answer about what extension to use for SQLite databases.  At the moment I seem to favour using the extension '.sqlite' but I'd be hard pressed to make an argument for it.  I wonder what I'll do when SQLite4 comes along.

Yeah - I might add that sqlite is very often used as an application file
format, which results in a myriad of extensions out there.

There is no noticeable convention. I happen to see it lots because when
developing the search functions, I use SQLitespeed and just point the
search tool to the c:\users\xxx\appdata\ folder on any new system, enter
*.* as the search text, tick "include sub-folders" and after about a
minute I see a list of every SQLite database in the system. (Well, in
Appdata anyway).

There are usually loads, but I have never noticed any convention or
extension being more prevalent than any other. It's usually just random
- and where duplications occur, they usually belong to the same system.

".sqlite" is found somewhat, but if I had to pick one that seems most
common, it would just be the:  "*.db"
(Security-win, I know)

For reference, I just checked this pc (as described above) and these are
all the valid SQLite DB's in Appdata with their extensions:
(Your experience may differ)

C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE\opm.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\EvernoteNW\cookies
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\EvernoteNW\Local Storage\file__0.localstorage
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\EvernoteNW\Web Data
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\rsmith386.exb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\OfflineCache\index.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\Steam\htmlcache\Cookies
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\Steam\htmlcache\Local
Storage\https_www.youtube.com_0.localstorage
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\Steam\htmlcache\Local
Storage\http_steamcommunity.com_0.localstorage
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Local\Temp\Test1e499fd04-6213-4da6-97a3-209da4fd29eb.prmdc
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Cache\data\store
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Atlantic\AIDB_SysData.cdb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Atlantic\AIDB_SysData_Backup.cdb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\instance1\aggregation.dbx
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\instance1\config.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\FDM\SysData\FDM_LocData.rdb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\FDM\SysData\FDM_Logs.rdb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\FileZilla\queue.sqlite3
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\IPView\SysData\Data\IPDB_CalcData.idb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\IPView\SysData\Data\IPDB_ImptData.idb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\IPView\SysData\Data\IPDB_ImptData_Old_Planners_Backup.idb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\IPView\SysData\Data\IPDB_StdLists.idb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\IPView\SysData\Data\IPDB_UserData.idb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\IPView\Sys_Cache.cdb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Listary\UserData\History_v2.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\content-prefs.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\cookies.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\evernote_webclipper.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\formhistory.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\healthreport.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\permissions.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\places.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\reading-list.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\storage\default\file++++C++Projects+Unity+Temp+TestProj1+tpWebGL+index.html\idb\2083995541%s2fFbid.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\storage\default\https+++google.github.io\idb\3823323449mbvd.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\storage\default\https+++uplay.ubi.com\idb\533021264u3pVlya.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\storage\default\https+++www.maxmind.com\idb\581034704_b_Dmsmwaip.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\storage\permanent\chrome\idb\2918063365piupsah.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\storage\permanent\indexeddb+++fx-devtools\idb\478967115deegvatroootlss--cans.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\storage\permanent\moz-safe-about+home\idb\818200132aebmoouht.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tvs0coxp.default\webappsstore.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Raptr\data\raptrguestccn4w8e2\chat_history.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Raptr\data\videometa.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RifinBSR\Sys_DBs\BSTracker.rdb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RifinBSR\Sys_DBs\RIFIN_BSReader_Backup_20150625_193641.dbBackup
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RifinBSR\Sys_DBs\RIFIN_BSReader_Backup_20150625_193726.dbBackup
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RifinBSR\Sys_DBs\RIFIN_BSReader_Backup_20150625_194256.dbBackup
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RifinBSR\Sys_DBs\RIFIN_BSReader_Backup_20150625_194850.dbBackup
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RifinBSR\Sys_DBs\RIFIN_BSReader_Backup_20150722_014803.dbBackup
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RifinBSR\Sys_DBs\RIFIN_BSReader_Backup_20150722_035033.dbBackup
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RifinBSR\Sys_DBs\Sys_Cache.rdb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\RIFinDS\DBScriptCache.sqlitedb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\bistats.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\dc.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\eascache.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\keyval.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\main.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\media_messaging\emo_cache\asyncdb\cache_db.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\media_messaging\media_cache\asyncdb\cache_db.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\media_messaging\storage_db\asyncdb\storage_db.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\msn.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\qikdb\qik_main.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\relays.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\homoerectus\statistics.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\shared_dynco\dc.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Skype\shared_httpfe\queue.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\blist.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\calendar-data\deleted.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\calendar-data\local.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\content-prefs.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\cookies.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\formhistory.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\global-messages-db.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\permissions.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\places.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\signons.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\storage.sdb
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\6muvaz7g.default\webappsstore.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\TS3Client\settings.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\TS3Client\urls.db
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Unity\WebViewProfile\cookies.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Unity\WebViewProfile\permissions.sqlite
C:\Users\R.Smith\AppData\Roaming\Unity\WebViewProfile\places.sqlite

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Warren Young-2
On Sep 14, 2015, at 8:38 AM, Stephen Chrzanowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are many extensions of the same .. err..
> name(?)...value(?)..structure(?) that are completely different things.

It’s fairly bad in the electronics engineering world, where it seems like half the tools use *.sch for schematics and *.brd/pcb for printed circuit board layouts, but none of the tools agree on the format of the actual file data.  If you have two such apps installed, you have to make a hard choice about which app becomes the default to open such files, and occasionally have to fix it when updating the other app, as it takes over the extensions again.

This widespread unwillingness to get beyond the 8.3 limits, particularly on Windows, is annoying.  We haven’t had to worry about compatibility with 3-character file extensions since Windows NT 3.5 and Windows 95, two decades ago now.

Call your files *.myspiffyapp, or something completely unique, please.  Just because the data inside is managed by SQLite doesn’t mean all SQLite-based apps would like to open your app’s files.

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Clemens Ladisch
Tim Streater wrote:
> I don't use any extension at all for SQLite databases.

With SQLite's habit of appending "-journal" (or "-wal"/"-shm") to the
end of the file name, the extension would look weird.  For this reason,
I tend to use names like "some-data".

(I also prefer to use journal_mode=truncate, so that users aren't
surprised when a -journal file shows up, and try to do clever things
to it.)

Regards,
Clemens

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Tim Streater-3
On 14 Sep 2015 at 19:29, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2015, at 8:38 AM, Stephen Chrzanowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There are many extensions of the same .. err..
>> name(?)...value(?)..structure(?) that are completely different things.
>
> It’s fairly bad in the electronics engineering world, where it seems like
> half the tools use *.sch for schematics and *.brd/pcb for printed circuit
> board layouts, but none of the tools agree on the format of the actual file
> data.  If you have two such apps installed, you have to make a hard choice
> about which app becomes the default to open such files, and occasionally have
> to fix it when updating the other app, as it takes over the extensions again.
>
> This widespread unwillingness to get beyond the 8.3 limits, particularly on
> Windows, is annoying.  We haven’t had to worry about compatibility with
> 3-character file extensions since Windows NT 3.5 and Windows 95, two decades
> ago now.
Of course in a sensible world, OS providers would all have implemented a common metadata API, and no one would need or use extensions.

--
Cheers  --  Tim

Re: sqlite3 file as database

Warren Young-2
On Sep 14, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Tim Streater <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14 Sep 2015 at 19:29, Warren Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We haven’t had to worry about compatibility with
>> 3-character file extensions since Windows NT 3.5 and Windows 95, two decades
>> ago now.
>
> Of course in a sensible world, OS providers would all have implemented a common metadata API, and no one would need or use extensions.

There have been many such APIs and file formats.  HFS (creator+type code), IPTC/EXIF/XMP/Dublin Core, EDI (balkanized into EDIFACT, X12, ODETTE…), MARC records (similarly balkanized), etc.

They’re all “standards” in the XKCD sense:

  https://xkcd.com/927/

Re: sqlite3 file as database

> > *.SQL appears to be a common thing for not only Structured Query
> > Language, but also "Squish message base lastread pointers" --

> Whatever the heck that is.

SQUISH was a database format for storing messages in FidoNet systems.  Originally designed by Scott Dudley as part of Maximus, the format was eventually widely used because of its speed and relatively efficient design compared to other message-store formats.  Squish was also an application of the same name for processing messages in and out of Squish message stores and a standard FidoNet inbound/outbound transport directory structure used by such applications as BinkleyTerm from BitBucket Software.  BinkleyTerm had an unusual license -- it was Public Domain and you were pretty much free to do as you pleased with it -- with the only caveat being that if you broke it you owned both halves.

At 01:07 15/09/2015, you wrote:
 >---
>SQUISH was a database format for storing messages in FidoNet systems.
 >---

Geez, I don't even recall my FidoNet node number aka address... Time
must have flown by faster than I thought.

--
jcd